Bushing Bulls

everyones seen a bully type snorting down a rabbit hole but they are catch dogs not hunting dogs,

name one top breeder of bull terriers who bred for nose? ive seen bulls flush hare, kill rats and

chase rabbits and its good to see but dont get giddy.

bulls that do hunt, hunt mainly threw bodily presence, they are catch dogs, they have to lift their heads to catch sight of the quarry...so they can chase their quarry...they might catch up to it

...they could get a hold, which is a catch dogs job...none of which could be achived if the dog had

its nose stuck to the floor like a beagle!

kev-medlock crew

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish my staff would actively use her nose, she would follow sents without any difficulty from wood piles to gorse moor. Seen that dog track a scent for at least 400 yards  

and collies were bread for herding but you still want to youse a 3/4 collie to catch rabbits.....

My Patt has a smidgen of bull in him, no problem with his nose, no problem with his drive, he does everything that's asked of him, good cover dog for us.

Posted Images

all dogs have nose including bulls...but a dog doesn't need a good nose to be a good hunter, you can have a poor nosed dog that is still a great hunter. its called hunting by bodily presence.

one of the biggest arguments in spaniels today is that the modern field trial winners, who stud out for grands, don't hunt by nose but by sheer drive, they put a lot of birds up and win well but they are hunting by bodily presence...so it doesn't matter if they have good nose or not, if they keep entering cover and pushing threw game will jump.

a dog that marks a rabbit earth is worth its weight in gold but its not the greatest form of nose work...how many fields can it follow a fox, how is it on cold lines, bulls are not bred for nose work...in the field they work mainly as catch dogs.it doesn't benefit a catch dog to have its nose to the floor all day, like terriers, they will always lift their heads to get a view.

i think you will agree that a lurcher is a sight-hound, some have top noses, some don't, regard- -less of the nose they mainly work as sight-hounds. same with bulls, nose or not, they hunt mainly as catch dogs.

good luck to all you bully boys

kev-medlock crew

p s. seen, over the years a few yanks, a dozen or more staffs, and numerous crosses..not that many but as you know for some reason bulls are not that popular in bobbery packs!

[

As a hybrid yes, but not a pure bred, im not saying not to use bulls in lurcher breeding programs, but if i had the choice of a working bull, or one used for bushing, i know what id use

but why not a bull what has also been used for bushing rabbits or bushing foxes from cover and then dealing with them or dealing with fox in cover??? Pre ban of course

I've got a pure bull bitch here that regularly finds and catches foxes in and out of cover when I'm exercising her, she's a very light framed racey type though. Would make a great bushing dog but I reckon she'd be more interested in the lurchers than anything that was in the bushes.