1/4 Sight Hound Lurchers

For the first time at the weekend end I saw a lurcher bred 3/4 bull 1/4 greyhound and a scary looking dog at that. This lead to me talking to an older chap when I got home who worked 3/4 bred collie x and had good results rabbiting. Does anyone here use anything similar for any particular reason whatever it may be or just got an accidently bred dog of somthing in similar preportion and had good results. Would be nice to hear a few storys of dogs working. This is only out of pure curiosity.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

there will always be room on my yard for a reverse bred lurcher, especially a collie based on. never the fastest or the flashest, but boy can they take some graft.    

something i've always found the collies concentration and quick thinking can be worth a yard or two in some situations, a slower dog in the right place is always gonna outcatch a fast dog in the wrong

Myself and mates plan to put my bull/grey over a couple of non sight-hound blooded working dogs in the future... not to produce lurchers, but hunting dogs. That cast out keenly, find stuff anywhere, t

Myself and mates plan to put my bull/grey over a couple of non sight-hound blooded working dogs in the future... not to produce lurchers, but hunting dogs. That cast out keenly, find stuff anywhere, track hard and fast, kill small vermin, mark trees and dens, hold game, and bay up big shit... multi purpose hunting dogs. But we got certain jobs lined up that suits this breeding. So they will be 1/4 greyhound (roughly) from the dog. The bitches in mind are a gwp who is doing great so far and catahoula cur.. but it all depends on if these bitches make the grade (gwp is not far off), as we will be asking a hell of a lot from them. Exciting times!

• Like 4

Myself and mates plan to put my bull/grey over a couple of non sight-hound blooded working dogs in the future... not to produce lurchers, but hunting dogs. That cast out keenly, find stuff anywhere, track hard and fast, kill small vermin, mark trees and dens, hold game, and bay up big shit... multi purpose hunting dogs. But we got certain jobs lined up that suits this breeding. So they will be 1/4 greyhound (roughly) from the dog. The bitches in mind are a gwp who is doing great so far and catahoula cur.. but it all depends on if these bitches make the grade (gwp is not far off), as we will be asking a hell of a lot from them. Exciting times!

Saw a couple of catahoula's work if Florida a good few years back, they reminded me of some of the driven farm curs we had around as kids. That cross maybe experimental, but be interesting to see how it pans out :thumbs:

• Like 1

Sounds a lot like Aussie and NZ pig dog breeds :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nice dogs those Trenchfoot

Their brilliant looking dogs trenchfoot. I would imagine the reverse bred collie cross would be a good ferreting and mooching dog but iv always wondered what is he/she like on the lamp? For rabbits obviously.

Cheers for the comments guys

PP, the larger dog always kept me happy on the lamp, never ran out of steam, and pre ban did more than just rabbits ;) the smaller one I still have, and is limited on rougher ground around here due to a lack of height, but for mooching daytime is a bundle of fun, guile,nose and quick take off make up for a lack of stature

myself and some fellas i used to hang about with have had colliexbitza lurchers and they usually make good tough knockabout lurchers. temperament wise they are often a little more stable than first crosses, but physically to be honest i'm not sure they bring anything to the tale that the right first cross lacks (if you get my drift!)

myself and some fellas i used to hang about with have had colliexbitza lurchers and they usually make good tough knockabout lurchers. temperament wise they are often a little more stable than first crosses, but physically to be honest i'm not sure they bring anything to the tale that the right first cross lacks (if you get my drift!)

i was just thinking about these lurchers with alot of collie in the mix, and regards lamping people keep saying how good they are .? Well ive been lamping few years now lol, and i know like few lads on here that some rabbits you lamp, can feckin shift :yes: And sometimes you deff need that extra gear to get up and put a strike in, not all rabbits are easy+slow. My dog Bryn very fast for a 1x collie x grey, to be honest it was a good job with some rabbits he as caught or they would have got away they not all easy to catch . :yes: Some places you go to most dogs will get good bags, but you drop on a hard patch where they dont hang about, a faster type dog with bit more hound really make a bigger bag fact .!

• Like 3

i was just thinking about these lurchers with alot of collie in the mix, and regards lamping people keep saying how good they are .? Well ive been lamping few years now lol, and i know like few lads on here that some rabbits you lamp, can feckin shift :yes: And sometimes you deff need that extra gear to get up and put a strike in, not all rabbits are easy+slow. My dog Bryn very fast for a 1x collie x grey, to be honest it was a good job with some rabbits he as caught or they would have got away they not all easy to catch . :yes: Some places you go to most dogs will get good bags, but you drop on a hard patch where they dont hang about, a faster type dog with bit more hound really make a bigger bag fact .!

I'd agree with that bird, don't know about some of these places around the country where the ground is more conducive to less sighthoundy dogs catching, but most places I've been, unless you've got a pacy dog you'd be going home unhappy. Just to clarify, I like some of these less sighthoundy types, but for me they don't have enough pace :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'd agree with that bird, don't know about some of these places around the country where the ground is more conducive to less sighthoundy dogs catching, but most places I've been, unless you've got a pacy dog you'd be going home unhappy. Just to clarify, I like some of these less sighthoundy types, but for me they don't have enough pace :thumbs:

I agree with both of you lads. they often lack that all out pace of a more sighthoundy dog. But they do have a very robust nature that keeps them on the road, far more than some of the outright speedsters. Think of them as the Subaru Forrester of the lurcher world.

• Like 1