Welsh Pup Collie X

I guess the short version is that some folk like smart dogs and some folk fear them.

Fear might sound a bit strong. But you know what I mean, it's two parts - one they just don't suit some folks mentality it seems and I can imagine that for some, training a really smart, easily ruined dog might be something that they wouldnt want to undertake. And other fear that they will over think, pick runs, etc etc.

Some folk just want an uncomplicated dog i suppose.

Who knows i'm tired.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jack nipped over the back this morning with a ferret a handful of nets and Finn and Iolo....   From small beginnings.....   It's a start anyway...he watched the big dog pick one up and behaved h

yep, one of my mates used to say that cur dogs werent bred they were riveted together!   i think there are two reasons that people go for collie crosses time and again, one is obviously the nature o

Iolo   All going to plan...exciting times ahead....fingers xed......    

Posted Images

Makes sense muka, the first bit is my problem I'm naturally over assertive and hot headed. I Never put a hand on them but collie types seems to crumble with my personality. James won't come near me. I havnt even farted in her direction it like other collie x they just don't seem to gel with me.

• Like 1

Makes sense muka, the first bit is my problem I'm naturally over assertive and hot headed. I Never put a hand on them but collie types seems to crumble with my personality. James won't come near me. I havnt even farted in her direction it like other collie x they just don't seem to gel with me.

That is an honest admission...and a sensible and realistic reply :clapper:

Facts are,..the sheepdog hybrids ,.the ones that realy favour the sheepdog,...not simply physically or vague composites that 'have some collie in em'...but the types who exhibit real herding dog attributes,...can sometimes be awkward for lads to figure out...and,..for many hunting men,..the purchase of a ticket, into their world,.simply isn't worth the fecking price..

I've worked a lot of herding dogs,..and it is only in my latter years that I have twigged onto their primitive behaviour and to what actually makes them do, what they do,..and behave, as they do....

Disregarding all the hype and manufactured publicity, of 1980s/1990s ..the truth of the matter is,..the Collie lurcher in its purest form, sure ain't everyone's taste...

To state this obvious truism, is certainly no personal admission of failure, or lack of training skills, etc,.etc,..it is simply a fact of life. :yes:

For myself,..I'll have nothing other than a cur dog,..they suit this elderly rabbit hunting man.. :thumbs:

All the best, Phil..

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 4

I once bought a book for 50p from a second hand stall , "the Farmers Dog " by John Holmes ( the dog trainer and not he of the appendage ! ) , a really informative book , that describes instinct , and mental characteristics . Temperament and intelligence is a good chapter on the fact that an intelligent dog can also have a bad temperament . Good book , and one that clarified the confusion in my mind caused by the collie period of the 80's . Where collie good , others bad . Though I do like a collie .

An honest appraisal of ones personality , would probably help us all In choosing a dog whose temperament would suit - better still ask the wife !

:yes:John was my good friend,...he taught me a lot...

He was also one of this country's, most forward thinking animal trainers, and had an amazing insight, into the canine psyche...

Many of todays 'sit and stayers' have grown up, following his groundbreaking treatise, The Farmer's Dog and The Obedient Dog.

A quietly spoken , ex- shepherd,...totally realistic, when it came to hunters and herders,..and a realy nice fellah...

All the best, Phil. :thumbs:

I once bought a book for 50p from a second hand stall , "the Farmers Dog " by John Holmes ( the dog trainer and not he of the appendage ! ) , a really informative book , that describes instinct , and mental characteristics . Temperament and intelligence is a good chapter on the fact that an intelligent dog can also have a bad temperament . Good book , and one that clarified the confusion in my mind caused by the collie period of the 80's . Where collie good , others bad . Though I do like a collie .

An honest appraisal of ones personality , would probably help us all In choosing a dog whose temperament would suit - better still ask the wife !

Best lurcher training book i can remember reading...and not a lurcher in it

• Like 1

john holmes was certainly one of our most talented and under rated dog trainers. even now i thumb through his book "choice and training of the family dog" each time i get a new pup. he used to use salukis for public exhibitions of training for god's sake, who could possibly question that he was one of our greatest!!

john holmes was certainly one of our most talented and under rated dog trainers. even now i thumb through his book "choice and training of the family dog" each time i get a new pup. he used to use salukis for public exhibitions of training for god's sake, who could possibly question that he was one of our greatest!!

Too right,..

I saw his Salukis doing some incredable feats of agility ,...it was amazing.... :icon_eek:

Still got a bunch of photos showing them in action,...fecking awsome.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Too right,..

I saw his Salukis doing some incredable feats of agility ,...it was amazing.... :icon_eek:

Still got a bunch of photos showing them in action,...fecking awsome.... :thumbs:

scan them and get them on here....please??!

couple of pics taken today of Gwen... coming along nicely , doing plenty of retrieving she enjoys it ...been trying my new camera out ready for some action shots during the season ahead (harder than it looks lol).. atb sesku attachicon.gifgweneth 046.JPG attachicon.gifgweneth 047.JPGattachicon.gifgweneth 048.JPG

She's a strong lass Dave....looking great....got a bit to grow too.... :thumbs:

couple of pics taken today of Gwen... coming along nicely , doing plenty of retrieving she enjoys it ...been trying my new camera out ready for some action shots during the season ahead (harder than it looks lol).. atb sesku attachicon.gifgweneth 046.JPG attachicon.gifgweneth 047.JPGattachicon.gifgweneth 048.JPG

She's a strong lass Dave....looking great....got a bit to grow too.... :thumbs:
cheers Colin ..yeah she gunna be a strong bitch i reckon ..really happy with her atb Dave