Is Stamina An Issue In Your Lurcher?

Just wondered if stamina is an important ingredient in your rabbiting dog's? I'm not talking about hare dogs, just bunnies. Personally i'm lucky if my dogs run a dozen in a night before i'm off home, we just don't have big numbers on my permission but when I visited the Dales with Tomo I was in awe of the vast numbers and I can say without a hint of embarrassment that i called it quits for my tyke whilst Tomos bitch was still filling the game bag. I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs.

If I was running an area like the dales or other rabbit infested areas I would put stamina high of the list of desired attributes but as I rarely venture into such lagamorph ridden nirvana's it has never been as issue.

Does stamina play a role in your desired rabbiting dogs genetic make up? And I mean physical stamina, not mental stamina which I think is very different.

not an answer to your question but mental stamina without physical stamina is a recipe for disaster :yes:
But is it Paul? What about a ferreting dog that needs mental stamina to concentrate on a warren for extended periods of time but may not be required to use physical stamina as there may not be many bolters that aren't caught in the nets?
thats concentration :laugh: i would say mental stamina without physical stamina can take a dog past it limits
I would say concentration IS mental stamina
i would say an exceptional nose would be better than concentration when ferreting :laugh:

Then you would be very wrong my old china ...........

without a nose how would it know what holes to concentrate on ?

When that ferret is underground working a warren the dog uses its ears to pinpoint the bolting bunny not its nose..........

my old bitch used both :laugh:

Can you explain to,me how your bitch used her nose to determine which hole a rabbit would bolt from ?????????

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Collies and salukis are the main stamina dogs but both breeds have different types of slow and and fast twitch muscle fibres which work differently and utilise the oxygen in the body differently ... T

Sometimes a trip to the Dales, the Fells or some other well stocked area, can leave an indelible mark upon a man,.and his dog   I'm not a lamping man these days,.but I once was ....   We used to

Ive seen good dogs soon go backwards when faced with run after run on Dales bunnys,fit strong dogs at that,a few months down the line with several more visits the same dogs are better suited to the ri

In my opinion no matter where you live or how many runs you get your dog should be at its physically best including stamina ... You wouldn't train a boxer to hit only half has hard as he could just because he isn't getting a title fight ... I enjoy conditioning my dogs and watching them grow physically mentally and have the capability to undertake any task asked of them at any time ... If you haven't got your dog as fit as it could possibly be you are doing yourself and the dog a disservice ... Keep on pushing the boundaries see where you can take the dog ... An animal at its physical best has got to be worth more than one thats not reached its potential ..........

Totally agree Ken 100%, my point was more that some dogs have natural stamina or it's in the breeding and some don't. My dog was fit but his breeding doesn't give him the natural stamina of some other lurcher types :thumbs:

Fascinating thread. Which breeds do you think 'breed in' the best stamina and does what they are crossed with risk breeding it out? AND, how old would you say a young dog can be built up into longer hours or more open/challenging running? Can you knacker a young dog running it too hard too fast?

Collies and salukis are the main stamina dogs but both breeds have different types of slow and and fast twitch muscle fibres which work differently and utilise the oxygen in the body differently ... The saluki is like the marathon runner of the dog world and has a noticeably larger heart than other breeds which means it can fuel its body over longer distances for longer periods of time ... The collie is a very explosive type of dog that can recover very quickly from a hard run then is ready to go again ... Look at a hill collie working sheep it is up and the down the hill in start dashes pushing sheep into position and it will carry out this task all day ...

As for losing stamina when crossing out to other dogs then you will always lose or add something when you put more than one dog into the mix ...

Can you knacker up a young dog running it to early ...yes of course you can but a young dogs conditioning training has nothing to do with running game ... You must always be in control of how far and how fast you pushing the youngster ... there is a fine line between pushing the dog and punishing the dog .............

• Like 11

Collies and salukis are the main stamina dogs but both breeds have different types of slow and and fast twitch muscle fibres which work differently and utilise the oxygen in the body differently ... The saluki is like the marathon runner of the dog world and has a noticeably larger heart than other breeds which means it can fuel its body over longer distances for longer periods of time ... The collie is a very explosive type of dog that can recover very quickly from a hard run then is ready to go again ... Look at a hill collie working sheep it is up and the down the hill in start dashes pushing sheep into position and it will carry out this task all day ...

As for losing stamina when crossing out to other dogs then you will always lose or add something when you put more than one dog into the mix ...

Can you knacker up a young dog running it to early ...yes of course you can but a young dogs conditioning training has nothing to do with running game ... You must always be in control of how far and how fast you pushing the youngster ... there is a fine line between pushing the dog and punishing the dog .............

Now that is a quality post...well wrote fella.

• Like 2

To be honest I've always found mine have got used to the amount of work I can give them.While some might have a bit of extra natural wind, It would still blow up if it was used to running12 rabbits a night,and you took it of to run 30+. My own stamina runs out at about 30 so stamina isn't really a issue:)

• Like 1

as said all about building the dog up to the job in hand the more work it sees the better it will be a good dog man should be able to read his dog and know how much it can take before it breaks down as said if its numbers you want get the dog lamping fit no dog can catch numbers if its not working fit :thumbs: atb

I believe some dogs have natrual stamina aswell In there breading took my dog out after being out for a long time after an op only taking him on gentel jogs then took a personal best with him him on his second time back lamping admitley the rabbs was there to run at a good place the dog jst wanted more so let him and he wasn't no were in my eyes thought he was running fit but put me in the ton club

Simo,

I aint knockin you nor your dog but I seriously doubt that your dog is as fit as you think it is. I havent read any of the replies really but your dog may surprise you if you took it up there often and just kept building it up a lil bit at a time. I aint sayin it will ever get as fit as Tomo's dog cuz I dont know either dogs but you cant get a dog running "fit" by exercising it along a road with your bike or walkin it or whatever. You can do all that til you are blue in the face but the dog wont be in shape like it will be when you take it hunting and run it over and over and over again. I road my dogs all the time and I try to keep them very tough all year round but they dont really get in shape til after about 6 weeks or so of hunting. First couple weeks they get kinda in shape but the next month is when they start gettin tough. If you dont hunt here with me all the time and bring your dog here it will not be able to handle it. Now if you left it here for a couple months you'd be surprised at how tough some dogs can get. Then again some just fold it up and quit but that aint nobody's fault but the dogs.

• Like 2

Simo,

I aint knockin you nor your dog but I seriously doubt that your dog is as fit as you think it is. I havent read any of the replies really but your dog may surprise you if you took it up there often and just kept building it up a lil bit at a time. I aint sayin it will ever get as fit as Tomo's dog cuz I dont know either dogs but you cant get a dog running "fit" by exercising it along a road with your bike or walkin it or whatever. You can do all that til you are blue in the face but the dog wont be in shape like it will be when you take it hunting and run it over and over and over again. I road my dogs all the time and I try to keep them very tough all year round but they dont really get in shape til after about 6 weeks or so of hunting. First couple weeks they get kinda in shape but the next month is when they start gettin tough. If you dont hunt here with me all the time and bring your dog here it will not be able to handle it. Now if you left it here for a couple months you'd be surprised at how tough some dogs can get. Then again some just fold it up and quit but that aint nobody's fault but the dogs.

dan that bikini girls lot fitter than my dogs at mo :tongue2:

• Like 1

Simo,

Dan, I wont disagree with that at all :thumbs:

Simo,

how many runs in a day on yotes Dan , would you say your stags do.? Meaning say the stags , in the motor for good time, before you sight a yote .Then its all hell brake loose out of the motor lol. Iknow youve said some runs can go on for a mile or so , and going at full speed they got good stamina to do that. just wonder thats all mate, as here prob some of the lads rabbiting dogs prob have lots of runs quick in prob 4-5 hours , just differnt types of running mate.?

socks

the same way she new there was one in there in the first place, the same way she would crown the old hob on a kill, sometimes 20 yards into a field 3ft down, the same way she new i was on my way home from work even though i worked 20 mile away. hearing is but one sense

Just wondered if stamina is an important ingredient in your rabbiting dog's? I'm not talking about hare dogs, just bunnies. Personally i'm lucky if my dogs run a dozen in a night before i'm off home, we just don't have big numbers on my permission but when I visited the Dales with Tomo I was in awe of the vast numbers and I can say without a hint of embarrassment that i called it quits for my tyke whilst Tomos bitch was still filling the game bag. I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs.

If I was running an area like the dales or other rabbit infested areas I would put stamina high of the list of desired attributes but as I rarely venture into such lagamorph ridden nirvana's it has never been as issue.

Does stamina play a role in your desired rabbiting dogs genetic make up? And I mean physical stamina, not mental stamina which I think is very different.

not an answer to your question but mental stamina without physical stamina is a recipe for disaster :yes:

is that not where the handler should step in, like simoman said " I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs."

is that not where the handler should step in, like simoman said " I have no doubt the spirit was willing but I knew he just didn't have the stamina and i'm not going to injure my dog for the sake of a few more runs."

I don't think Paulus was talking about multiple runs. One run could do it :yes: