Great Huntsmen

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. Dont think its beneficial To discuss. Current. Huntsman on this thred lads not the done thing eh. Good or bad or indifferant we need them all to keep at it. , its hard enough at the. Moment. Lets say some are better than other and air are dirty linen in private

• Like 4

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well lads great huntsmen,they are not born over night,the same as any trade there is a apprenticeship without a older head on board you are going to have problems,when you first start at the bottom as

One of the main problems is that in the past, to become a huntsman you had to start at the bottom and work your way up until you became the huntsman to one of the smaller pack's, do a few seasons and

Not only are fell and most foot pack differant to there mounted counterparts they are funded differently , selction of staff at mounted pack can be by the master masters , on recommendation , i. D

dont think its right to use terms like 'born with a silver spoon in his mouth'. without some people like that many hunts couldnt afford to exist, using class terms just lowers us to the level of the antis.

I'm not saying he isnt an idiot though, I dont know anything about him. Things not go well when he was at the Haydon then?

Spades a Spade....an all that.

• Like 1

I heard at weekend the Tynedale have got that idiot(Born with a silver spoon in his mouth) that was at the Haydon, as there new Master/Huntsman.

What a ridiculous statement that is. Would he be on here slagging you off do you think?.

its a tough job been a huntsman with all the shit that goes with it the huntsman normally have about 70 mounted people behind him ant about ten(if your lucky) actually know a bit about hunting on a bad day you will have the ones that no fook all cribbing that they got little jumping and on a good day their not fit to cross the same country as the huntsman did I saw one hunt two year ago where the hounds hunted for some seven or eight mile 77 horses started that day and 17 finished the hunt

• Like 2

its a tough job been a huntsman with all the shit that goes with it the huntsman normally have about 70 mounted people behind him ant about ten(if your lucky) actually know a bit about hunting on a bad day you will have the ones that no fook all cribbing that they got little jumping and on a good day their not fit to cross the same country as the huntsman did I saw one hunt two year ago where the hounds hunted for some seven or eight mile 77 horses started that day and 17 finished the hunt

. Thats were a field master comes into his own. Riding to hounds and hunting are two differant things. Iam always puzzeld. By some. Horse men and women who turn up without a clue Ignorance is bliss !!!! Love whatching some loud mouth though. Taliking the talk then out in the field charge across a field. Then open every hunt gate while the girls jump every oppotunity thrown at them

Theres a kid up north who would jump over a cliff if you let him brave little fooker. And one down south wales mad as hatters , what does the huntsman do. Whisper to the drag !!!!!! Go across some good jumping country. Then tells the hounds. Your qarry has a mind of its own , whats deemed as great Hound contol numbers caught pre ban Who gives a flying fook as long as were out there THERE AINT NO SUTCH THING AS A BAD DAYS HUNTING Even the great of the past had bad days. And bad hounds. If they write a song about you. Now theres a mark of respect joe bowman Was his name the rest just follow hounds lol

• Like 1

The horsey people who just want to jump pay the bills for the rest of us so we should whenever possible try to resist slagging them off.....but when ever I get chance to ride to hounds I just cant get used to jumping for the sake of it. I have always believed in not jumping unless you have to, why waste your horse and risk your neck when the next draw may produce the hunt of a life time, for which you will need all the horse you can muster!

Mind you I am a bit of a coward and NEED to get my blood up first. Bit of a challenge when you like visiting new packs and you tend to get lumped with the riding horsey crew rather than the inner circle getting to watch hounds at close quarters :laugh:

Can fell huntsmen be 'great', surely they just walk to the nearest hill top and do they rest by radio?????

The horsey people who just want to jump pay the bills for the rest of us so we should whenever possible try to resist slagging them off.....but when ever I get chance to ride to hounds I just cant get used to jumping for the sake of it. I have always believed in not jumping unless you have to, why waste your horse and risk your neck when the next draw may produce the hunt of a life time, for which you will need all the horse you can muster!

Mind you I am a bit of a coward and NEED to get my blood up first. Bit of a challenge when you like visiting new packs and you tend to get lumped with the riding horsey crew rather

Can fell huntsmen be 'great', surely they just walk to the nearest hill top and do they rest by radio?????

. Lol lol lol
Guest Leveller

The horsey people who just want to jump pay the bills for the rest of us

This isn't always true, the majority of the income here comes from the knacker round not from subscriptions or caps

The horsey people who just want to jump pay the bills for the rest of us

This isn't always true, the majority of the income here comes from the knacker round not from subscriptions or caps

Really???? I never expected that. I thought knacker rounds tended to be quite a big expense. I know a lot of packs have got rid of their rounds as it was cheaper to feed dry. Licences, skips, incinerators, staff, a knacker truck.

I'm not saying your not right, I know feck all about the figures, just didnt expect that to be the case.

• Like 1
Guest Leveller

Really???? I never expected that. I thought knacker rounds tended to be quite a big expense. I know a lot of packs have got rid of their rounds as it was cheaper to feed dry. Licences, skips, incinerators, staff, a knacker truck.

I'm not saying your not right, I know feck all about the figures, just didnt expect that to be the case.

Some of the smaller westcountry packs would only maybe have twenty or so subscribers paying £400 a year (£8000pa) then you would have a few (lets say for arguments sake two a day) visitors or non subscribers paying a day cap of around £45 so that's £90 a day, hunting around 45 days a season (£4050pa) so a small pack would be looking at an income solely from mounted riders of around £12050pa