Kit Prices

Charging for ferrets seems to be the same as folk breeding them it seem's to be youngsters hoping to make a bit of cash , what a eye opener there going to get feeding kits up to twelve weeks never going to make money unless there angora x eu poleys .

Up to 8 weeks surely? then they go to new homes? people I know that sell kits in the London area never seem to be stuck with them for long :yes: and they always fetch about £35 a kit! there is a well known west London pet shop that charges, I kid you not, £200 for 8 week old kits :icon_eek::icon_eek: and £70 for adults.

No way 200 for stinky ferret pmsl

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just seen on gumtree an add...   "ferret kits... albinos-10pound.....black eyed whites-30pound...polecat-20pound...   cmon' Ffs...   gave away 2 castrated hobs to a neighbour...worth over 120qui

Ive never paid for a ferret, And if i bred a litter for own use, the surplus Kits would be free.

Anyone charging £30 for a kit is breeding for the wrong reasons

I don't think charging a fiver or a tenner, will mean your kits will end up in Ferret Heaven, if their prospective owners are inclined to have bad Animal husbandry habits, then charging will make no difference.

Exactly.. :good: If it was the case that paying more money guaranteed a good home for an animal, there'd never be any pedigree dogs mistreated or in animal rescue centres..

when you have kits, especally a large litter, feeding twice a day, kits and mother cost money, and as your feeding alot, the cage needs changing either everyday or every other day, shavings ect also costs money, so after 8 weeks a tena a kit, polecat or albino, doesnt seem too much to ask , no profit is being made, just recooping the money spent, my 8 kits are 5 weeks today i think 6 or 7 has theyr eyes open, and all are feeding well, the polecat i bred from was a big hob, the mother is a small albino, so i have large polecat kits and small polecat kits, only 2 albino's,1 jill 1 hob but all are doing well,

I have a couple of litters due next week from working stock who are getting on a bit. I will be keeping a minimum of four from the litters to keep myself in ferrets for the next few years at least as I have a couple of heavily populated permissions that need heavily thinning, the permission owner prefers ferreting rather than other methods due to livestock and location of a nearby footpath and reserve. Bearing this in mind I bred these litters for that reason and will obviously have surplus. I plan on rearing them to the best standards I can achieve including quality grub which isn't cheap. When the time comes for rehoming I will ask for a tenner each unless they are guys I know who I will gift them to. It would be nice to try and recoup some of the outlay for giving them the best start and slip the kids a few quid for helping me with cleaning and handling.

I am not asking anybody to break the bank, its no more than a pint and a packet of fags which most guys will spend in the blink of an eye. If they are solid workers (fingers crossed) they should give years of entertainment so I think 10 quid is very reasonable.

• Like 1

JMO, but if you're worried about the money side of things when breeding ferrets maybe you're best of not breeding them and just buying extra kits when you want to increase your stock.. Raising a litter properly takes time and money, no problem with people charging whatever they want for a kit it just makes me laugh when some folk stick two ferrets together and think they're about to become the next Richard Branson! :laugh:

JMO, but if you're worried about the money side of things when breeding ferrets maybe you're best of not breeding them and just buying extra kits when you want to increase your stock.. Raising a litter properly takes time and money, no problem with people charging whatever they want for a kit it just makes me laugh when some folk stick two ferrets together and think they're about to become the next Richard Branson! :laugh:

Don't think guys are really bothered to much about the money but its always nice when your hobby can help pay for itself in some way, whether its selling a few spare kits or pups or winning prize money from a sport you are involved in. its also nice to reward and incentivise the kids for getting involved and away from the X box or the Disney Channel.

I bred from my two as hopefully that way I know what I am getting, buying in is always a lucky dip I think. Its the same principal as lurcher and terrier breeding, breed the best to the best (you have) and hope for the best. But you are right Malt, anyone who breeds for money is suffering from delusions of grandeur. :thumbs:

Don't think guys are really bothered to much about the money but its always nice when your hobby can help pay for itself in some way, whether its selling a few spare kits or pups or winning prize money from a sport you are involved in. its also nice to reward and incentivise the kids for getting involved and away from the X box or the Disney Channel.

I bred from my two as hopefully that way I know what I am getting, buying in is always a lucky dip I think. Its the same principal as lurcher and terrier breeding, breed the best to the best (you have) and hope for the best. But you are right Malt, anyone who breeds for money is suffering from delusions of grandeur. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Aye, it's a bonus if you can get a bit back, but unless you have a ready supply of rabbits or other free meat you'll probably never get back anything near the amount it will cost you to feed the hungry little b*****ds! :laugh: You'll never get the time you put into handling them back either if you're spending the time you should be, especially if you've got a load on the go.. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Aye, it's a bonus if you can get a bit back, but unless you have a ready supply of rabbits or other free meat you'll probably never get back anything near the amount it will cost you to feed the hungry little b*****ds! :laugh: You'll never get the time you put into handling them back either if you're spending the time you should be, especially if you've got a load on the go.. :thumbs:

I definitely wont recoup the money at all. For the time element, although I am busy I find spending time rearing the kits enjoyable and relaxing, good husbandry is all part and parcel of what we do and I wouldn't want it any other way. Doing all the difficult and unpleasant jobs as well as putting in the time and effort is all the more enjoyable when you start to yield the rewards when you finally get out in the field. It also feels right to be teaching my (limited) knowledge to my kids, hopefully the skills they learn will stay with them throughout their lives, possibly being passed on to their kids one day.

I am lucky enough that at the moment to be getting a good supply of conies from a fellow THL member contributing to feeding my dogs and ferrets. When the season kicks in I hope I can return the favour to the same member or help out another member with any surplus game that I acquire.

Back to the question. If £10 can get you involved or started in our sport and offer the same friendships, comradery and skills I have been lucky enough to experience its possibly the best investment you might ever make.

Edited by redpat1
  • Like 3

I don't think charging a fiver or a tenner, will mean your kits will end up in Ferret Heaven, if their prospective owners are inclined to have bad Animal husbandry habits, then charging will make no difference.

Exactly.. :good: If it was the case that paying more money guaranteed a good home for an animal, there'd never be any pedigree dogs mistreated or in animal rescue centres..

I can see your point, but surely by charging a tenner at least will put some of the idiots off buying on a whim.The one's that take them out a couple of times and get fed up

ferreting,or the ferreters get bitten a couple of times and end up leaving the poor creature down the hole.

• Like 1

Ive learnt my lesson charging nowt for kits when I've put the hard work in, only to see them for sale again after a couple of days. So people who are moaning about paying a tenner, get a grip think about the food they eat for 4 weeks, shavings and handling. Well bred working ferrets worth a tenner all day long when the season starts.

• Like 1

I've got around 20 kits here and to be honest it ain't gonna cost me a penny to feed them...I knew I was going to line my two jills this spring...so planned in advance by freezing extra rabbits, hares, pheasants, pigeons, fish,and associated livers, kidneys, hearts etc...and if you start factoring in your time as a justification in charging for them, well that's just silly...I've enough put away enough grub to rear them to 8 weeks more than comfortably... :thumbs:

Most of mine spoken for...going to good lads too...get 'em reared right and get 'em away...gifted...job done... :thumbs:

Each to their own though... :thumbs:

Got 3 or 4 left Scottish Borders if anyone wants them... :laugh:

• Like 4

I can see your point, but surely by charging a tenner at least will put some of the idiots off buying on a whim.The one's that take them out a couple of times and get fed up

ferreting,or the ferreters get bitten a couple of times and end up leaving the poor creature down the hole.

seriously mate, what's a tenner today? Three or four pints or two packs of fags? A pedigree dog will set you back £200 - £700, yet you'll still see them in the pounds or being mistreated.. Honestly, £10 is f**k all, how much would you spend on a night out?

i went to a ferret resuce for my last ferret. it was free and 100 mile each way.. £40 worth of diesel in the old bus but i would rather do that again and take an unknown ferret rather than give somebody 30 notes

I've got around 20 kits here and to be honest it ain't gonna cost me a penny to feed them...I knew I was going to line my two jills this spring...so planned in advance by freezing extra rabbits, hares, pheasants, pigeons, fish,and associated livers, kidneys, hearts etc...and if you start factoring in your time as a justification in charging for them, well that's just silly...I've enough put away enough grub to rear them to 8 weeks more than comfortably... :thumbs:

Most of mine spoken for...going to good lads too...get 'em reared right and get 'em away...gifted...job done... :thumbs:

Each to their own though... :thumbs:

Got 3 or 4 left Scottish Borders if anyone wants them... :laugh:

glad someone had a good season, my biggest bag was 4 last season, but its not really the numbers i go for, not everyone has the permission with big numbers or even room to keep a spare freezer to keep the spare in for the spring/summer when feeding kits, people are in different situations,

• Like 1