Is The Greyhound Blood Really Needed In A Fen Dog ??

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advan

IMO the answer to the posters question is "It depends if your saluki is fast enough".     Today i don't believe we need any addition of greyhound blood to the coursing gene pool. There's plenty eno

i wouldnt mind a bit of "master mcgrath", or "fullerton" blood but those days are long gone, sam the man might have been something to think about, a few years back,   although i wouldnt put one of t

hade good few full sul true the years most of the where not game en true heavy ditchs

seen mine ripping through a blackthorn hedge hes not shy about a bit of cover.cant wait to get down start running on more open ground

imo id say the saluki brings that bit more. if i had a choice of a pure saluki or greyhound it would be a saluki for me :thumbs:

Never ran on the big land myself,but I recently watched some footage of a greyhound running a fen hare,I thought the dog was never going to get on terms with the hare,took a long time and the dog was flat out,so it does go to show how deceiving the big land game is when you're watching on the dvd's,like I've said before hares certainly are'nt slow,and if you watch how some almost pure salukis keep their hares from getting in the cover,they cannot be any slouches either

• Like 2

Look lads don't start banggin ya gums n callin me lol but I have just watched that clip ov that mars bitch ye she got a gud head on her I'm not slaggin the bitch off befor ya say I am but them hares on that clip aint the best ov hares I didn't think lyk just my opinion atb lads tintin ;)

Look lads don't start banggin ya gums n callin me lol but I have just watched that clip ov that mars bitch ye she got a gud head on her I'm not slaggin the bitch off befor ya say I am but them hares on that clip aint the best ov hares I didn't think lyk just my opinion atb lads tintin ;)

balls...............bodies is bodies.

the dog can only kill whats put in front of it Mars did it in style

imo id say the saluki brings that bit more. if i had a choice of a pure saluki or greyhound it would be a saluki for me :thumbs:

Never ran on the big land myself,but I recently watched some footage of a greyhound running a fen hare,I thought the dog was never going to get on terms with the hare,took a long time and the dog was flat out,so it does go to show how deceiving the big land game is when you're watching on the dvd's,like I've said before hares certainly are'nt slow,and if you watch how some almost pure salukis keep their hares from getting in the cover,they cannot be any slouches either

true pal. imo no matter how good or fast your dog is if it hasnt got 5 mins in the tank your going to get found out one day by mr right on the fens if you run it enough. they dont just roll over and die. them hares have my respect to sit there all night in the freezing cold then have to run for there lifes being chased by a dog 5 times bigger than them with alot bigger lung capasty. truely a great animal :thumbs:

• Like 3

Was just thinking when I started coursing 20 years ago,the saluki crosses were a new type,and a bit of a mystery really,there was one person up here in the north east that bred a litter and claimed the pups would be 3/3 dogs anywhere in the country,there was one well populated place with small fields,and there was and i believe still is a little whippet racing track just to the side of these fields,Ihave caught a lot of hares on this place,and I know a lot of other people that have caught hares there,but none of us ever managed to catch one single hare in the daytime,one of the dogs was a 3/4 greyhound and she could flatten 4/4 on land just a few mile from this place in the daytime,I often thought the fiery little flying machines from the track might have shown the so called hare dogs how it should be done,sorry if this is a bit off topic,but the season has ended,and it's nice to share some pre ban memories

Lyk I said I aint callin the bitch n yes the dog can only kill wats in front ov it atb tintin :)

it must be contagious on here .lads trying to have digs . its like this kid . youl go a long time in life [BANNED TEXT] you see a better pure than that .those hares on that land are run 2 3 times a week by good dogs .not chancers and lampers but good dogs . whats typical of alot of posters on here is youve never done any coursing and youve never seen quality dogs run .if you had you wouldnt slate those hares nor snide the dog .youd know quality when you seen it . either that or your jealous and looking for the reply to kick of like the norm on here when coursing posts are put on

• Like 3

hade good few full sul true the years most of the where not game en true heavy ditchs

You had full saluki tiger,seen some heavy saturated saluki cross running they didn't like hedges or wire and gates but good and tight on the open field but they didn't like it when it got tough ie ditchs gates wire but that's only a couple I seen

Brookie just coz I dnt put nwt on here pal doesn't mean I don't have good dogs n beleave me I've seen a lot ov good dogs run n got 1 which can run n do her job I never once slagged that bitch off Ino she a very good bitch a few lads ino have said she a real n or yea brookie I'm not a just a kid eighter n why would I want too put things on here ov wat I've done n not done I'd rather just be owt there doin it pal and I'm not tryin too f**k this post up at all and I'm far from jealous so put ya dummy back in atb tintin