American Stags In Europe???

I would imagine that not many have been brought over (if any). I don't see where you would have the need for them but if they were there it would be interesting to find out how they stack up. Has anyone from over there even seen any of them and be willing to comment? They look about like this:

post-24479-0-39111700-1365550605.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The yanks dont weed any harder than yall do. We dont have any better dogs either. Dont let all the romantic bullshit on the interwebs fool ya. People are people and dogs is dogs. We may sound a bi

Yep,,, just the yank name for a lurcher,,, and the ozy one come to that,,, and some travellers call lurchers stags,, or stag hounds.   One thing though about the yank ones though,, is what I have pi

I think, from the little I know of stags/lurchers (whatever) in the USA, there are far fewer dogs in pet homes, bred for showing, racing, or a bit of part time hobby hunting than there are here in the

Posted Images

It's what we call a group of dogs here that are mostly like a GH/DH cross but can have all sorts of stuff thrown in there over the years. Tecnically I would say that it is simply a longdog or coursing dog. The big difference is that people over here hunt them on coyotes, bear, hogs, fox and anything else that thinks it wants to die on the run. The dog pictued is not my dog but a dog "stag" that I like the looks of and it's a better standing profile of a stag than the few pictures I have of my own stag female. Another difference seems to be that our "stags" seem to use their nose a bit more than what it seems that the coursing dogs over there do.

It's what we call a group of dogs here that are mostly like a GH/DH cross but can have all sorts of stuff thrown in there over the years. Tecnically I would say that it is simply a longdog or coursing dog. The big difference is that people over here hunt them on coyotes, bear, hogs, fox and anything else that thinks it wants to die on the run. The dog pictued is not my dog but a dog "stag" that I like the looks of and it's a better standing profile of a stag than the few pictures I have of my own stag female. Another difference seems to be that our "stags" seem to use their nose a bit more than what it seems that the coursing dogs over there do.

so there a lurcher the same as any lurcher over here, Theres also plenty of lurchers over here that can hunt its not a trait confined to the states :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: a coursing dog is bred to course, a greyhound to race and a lurcher to fill the pot. :thumbs:

That my friend is my sort of dog !! Outstanding ! The. Thing being how much would it cost to export a dog ? I have thought about importing a good working deerhound but it's finding a breeder and I have not even got to cost jabs, boarding , flights and going to the country to see the stock your buying . So at the moment I'm settling for a first cross deer grey and whip grey x deer grey

To be fare on another thread we talked about two breeders ( which I run one of there dogs ) which say they have working deerhound and I find mine to be missing something or found wanting , so I thought its not the breeders it just needs a bit of new blood bought in My father 65 ran deer x's and myself 40 have run this type all our lives but never bred a litter so I'm thinking it's going to happen sometime

Yep,,, just the yank name for a lurcher,,, and the ozy one come to that,,, and some travellers call lurchers stags,, or stag hounds.

One thing though about the yank ones though,, is what I have picked up of this site,,, is that they are a very long line,, going back many generations,,, and I have the feeling the yanks,,,weed out week stock far more than we do,

• Like 7

Yep,,, just the yank name for a lurcher,,, and the ozy one come to that,,, and some travellers call lurchers stags,, or stag hounds.

One thing though about the yank ones though,, is what I have picked up of this site,,, is that they are a very long line,, going back many generations,,, and I have the feeling the yanks,,,weed out week stock far more than we do,

to be fair there not confronted with the constraints we are over here :laugh:

i seem to remember reading that the american stag hound is recognised by their national kennel club and they have a breed standard, i think because as has been said american hunters are not subject to the same restrictions as we are that theyre idea of a proven dog would be a far better prospect for breeding than some of our 'proven' big longdog type strains as with the best will in the world we don't have bears, coyotes or wolves and the like to test them. and would we need to import a dog? surely we could use straws if we wanted some of this blood

• Like 1

The yanks dont weed any harder than yall do. We dont have any better dogs either. Dont let all the romantic bullshit on the interwebs fool ya. People are people and dogs is dogs. We may sound a bit different but in the end there aint a damn bit of difference.

• Like 12