Puppy Hunters.......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is mate. Folk treat dogs on here like mobile phones, got to get the latest model. It's pretty sad, it takes years to create a proper hunting team, its not something you can buy.

I quite agree with you Wilf, when you say: I think there is a big difference between someone who keeps buying and selling dogs and someone who is genuinely trying to improve their stock or get to a pl

All you read on here is pups for next season, pups this pups that. Do these pups ever grow into dogs? What happened to last seasons pups, did they make the grade? Is every saluki owner putting his fai

Posted Images

A lot, not all, but a lot of travellers see a dog as a tool and a commodity. Some thing to use, trade, swap or sell.

They do not seem to be as sentimental as many of us non travellers about dogs. different culture and upbringing i suppose.

This seems to have carried over to many saluki type and bull cross owners.

Not my way, but then, I'm a senti"mental" fool.

yeah, one day its dogs then game birds then finches then horses :thumbs: lol

All you read on here is pups for next season, pups this pups that. Do these pups ever grow into dogs? What happened to last seasons pups, did they make the grade? Is every saluki owner putting his faith in a pup cos you all have one. I think you all believe the hype and don't rate the dogs you've got. You all want a quick fix. Get a pup from a well known line and your a proper dogman. No, your a mug :yes: so all you guys with pups for next season, what happened to the last pup, is it the f*****g parent :laugh:

Baw, one of your best posts for a bit... :yes:

The amount of 'not quite made the grade' pups must be staggering, I could save myself a whole lot of early bother an 'goal hang' for my next charge, or maybe bother an bully folks into dropping sommat that takes my eye, now that wouldn't be hard i'd bet... :laugh:

My pup i bred below last year, 19 month now, made the grade for me, she pleases me, that's all that matters, another lad on here has her sister, both flying it, all rounders, mainly rabbit, but tackle other stuff too.. :thumbs:

Bigwildtab_zps8ec4c792.jpg

Charls2.jpg

summer2012115_zps6753cba1.jpg

nice dogs :thumbs:

• Like 1

All you read on here is pups for next season, pups this pups that. Do these pups ever grow into dogs? What happened to last seasons pups, did they make the grade? Is every saluki owner putting his faith in a pup cos you all have one. I think you all believe the hype and don't rate the dogs you've got. You all want a quick fix. Get a pup from a well known line and your a proper dogman. No, your a mug :yes: so all you guys with pups for next season, what happened to the last pup, is it the f*****g parent :laugh:

The amount of 'not quite made the grade' pups must be staggering, I could save myself a whole lot of early bother an 'goal hang' for my next charge, or maybe bother an bully folks into dropping sommat that takes my eye, now that wouldn't be hard i'd bet... :laugh:

You have seen a depth in his post that I didn't see then mate, I just thought it was another of his " trying to get folk at it" threads again......he is a bad boy that's for sure ;)

I think there is a big difference between someone who keeps buying and selling dogs and someone who is genuinely trying to improve their stock or get to a place they are happy with.......

Have as many as it takes to get to where you want to be, as long as you give them the best care and don't make them suffer the ordeal of multiple homes because you don't want to take responsibility yourself then I don't see a problem......

JMHO

• Like 8

I quite agree with you Wilf, when you say: I think there is a big difference between someone who keeps buying and selling dogs and someone who is genuinely trying to improve their stock or get to a place they are happy with.......

but the big problem, as I see it, is that in many instances it is a case of the blind leading the blind. Take this, for example: young lad sees his mates with dogs, bragging about them, bees' knees, never jacks, doing the biz etc etc. Young lad wants one of the same, gets pup, does feck all with it, takes it out, pup doesn't behave as he would expect. Gets rid, gets another, this time, a 'mate's' young dog, that the 'mate' is selling as he has too many dogs to bring on, or so he says. This young dog has seen feck all either. Young lad puts gear in front of dog, which hasn't a clue what it is supposed to do with it: dog fails to impress its owner. Young lad gets rid: by this time he is busy slagging off certain breeds, types, to all and sundry, and sounding as though he knows what he's talking about to mates who know even less than he does. Splashes his opinions all over t'internet ....... and so it goes on, his search for that wonder dog that can outdo what his mates' dogs can do.

IMO, so much of this is competition between young, and maybe not so young, lads. It might not be outright, spoken of competition, but it is there all the same. Trouble is, none of these lads learn much because they have no one really knowledgeable and sound to learn from in the first place. None of them really knows how to train a dog as a pup, and none of them will admit, or even realise that they don't know anything, as admitting this will make them seem 'less' in their mates' eyes. Some of them even think they know it all after being in dogs for only a few years.

FFS: it took me bloody years and years to learn what I know now, and I still don't know everything, far from it. Admitting you don't know everything is the first step to actually learning something. I know not all young lads are like the one I used in my scenario, and there are plenty who have the brains to ask someone in the know, but for every one that does, there are many who don't.

• Like 14

Dealing in dogs/puppies is the way of some and accepted as practice by a lot of people for as long as I can remember :blink:

wilf is right, lads who are trying to get what they want or improve there stock will have failure's, finding these failure's a nice comfortable pet home with a fireside to lie infront of and see there days out is just not going to happen everytime, there are rescue kennels full of dogs waiting for that ending! So what is the right thing to do?

I tried that recently with a lad on here he hasnt come back to me yet though,must be still thinking about it :whistling::laugh:

If i knew some one like skycat describes i would defiantly give there cast of a chance.

recognise that dog and your handwriting, you wont ruin them holding them back thats for sure see u in nut house gemma

My pup is 14mths, didnt have much to shout about this season as he only caught about a dozen or so rabbits over a few trips out with the ferrets and hasnt even seen a hare yet, we will carry on mooching about the countryside during the sumner, not actively seeking game but if something edible sticks its head up its fair game.. I know his siblings are showing great potential but im in no hurry for him to do the same, hes still got more growing to do and the game will still be there in september

attachicon.gif543919_146893892151203_302987227_n.jpeg

• Like 1

recognise that dog and your handwriting, you wont ruin them holding them back thats for sure see u in nut house gemma

My pup is 14mths, didnt have much to shout about this season as he only caught about a dozen or so rabbits over a few trips out with the ferrets and hasnt even seen a hare yet, we will carry on mooching about the countryside during the sumner, not actively seeking game but if something edible sticks its head up its fair game.. I know his siblings are showing great potential but im in no hurry for him to do the same, hes still got more growing to do and the game will still be there in september

attachicon.gif543919_146893892151203_302987227_n.jpeg

a bit of summer hunting you mean :whistling: