Dogs Hitting Cover....

My current dog hits cover like a train an has picked up several tears an deep punctures caused by branches etc.....closest was a branch puncture that was an 1/8 of an inch away from taking an eye out....other dogs I've owned over the years have avoided such injuries by an large but everytime he hits cover I'm just waiting on him really doing himself serious harm...has anybody had experience of this ??...can't fault his prey drive though .....thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Injuries come hand in hand with running dogs - tell you what tho - I'd rather have a full on crash-through-anything-and-f**k-the-consequences-brave kind of dog rather than a dog that'll baulk at a pat

the end result

Posted Images

Injuries come hand in hand with running dogs - tell you what tho - I'd rather have a full on crash-through-anything-and-f**k-the-consequences-brave kind of dog rather than a dog that'll baulk at a patch of brambles...seen some horrific accidents and have lost I dogs in the past but wouldn't change a thing...i love the not for the faint hearted kinds dogs... :thumbs:

• Like 7

Sorry to hear about your dog .......he's caught quite a lot of stuff either just short of cover or just inside cover.......he's a good committed dog an as I said previously prey drive certainly can't be faulted......think it will ultimately be his undoing though ...

Get rid bud and get yourself a collie saturated hound, a bit sense :hmm::D

I've got a first x cg at the minute Kittlerox who is as gung ho as I have seen with prey drive to match...2 years old at he end of the month...my arse has collapsed several times this winter...his bottle hasn't - maybe I'm getting too old for this eh?

One of my best dogs killed itself caus it would not slow down when approaching even the thickest of cover, I was trotting him behind the motor one night and a rabbit ran across the road in front of the car the dog chased it into a wood and the rabbit ran into a big pile of broken branches which the dog steamed into trying to catch it and came back to the road with blood spurting out of a fairly big hole just below the neck, I put my hand over the hole to try and stop the bleeding and felt a sharp lump which was the end of a branch which had gone straight into the dog, I could then hear the dog breathing threw the hole that the branch had made so rushed him to the vets, which ended up with me having to have the dog put down because the branch had gone about 10 inches into the dog and pierced its lungs, sad end to a good dog, but its usually the best dogs that end up hurting themselves because they are trying harder to make a kill

• Like 2

One of my best dogs killed itself caus it would not slow down when approaching even the thickest of cover, I was trotting him behind the motor one night and a rabbit ran across the road in front of the car the dog chased it into a wood and the rabbit ran into a big pile of broken branches which the dog steamed into trying to catch it and came back to the road with blood spurting out of a fairly big hole just below the neck, I put my hand over the hole to try and stop the bleeding and felt a sharp lump which was the end of a branch which had gone straight into the dog, I could then hear the dog breathing threw the hole that the branch had made so rushed him to the vets, which ended up with me having to have the dog put down because the branch had gone about 10 inches into the dog and pierced its lungs, sad end to a good dog, but its usually the best dogs that end up hurting themselves because they are trying harder to make a kill

well said mate......

my dog does it i get a great buzz watching her but it can be dangerous the latest 1 with her was we wer walking down the road while out lamping she spotted a squatter out in a smaillish field she jumped the lil gate corsed it up then back down thre another field but didnt she hit the barbwire dived a paddock she riped a hole straight in her forehead it was a nasty 1 u could put ur finger in it shes grand now tho but mad when it comes to hitting the ditches after them lol