Who Has The Better Deerhound X,s ? David Platts Or Cooklands..?

after a long time thinking about it have decided to get a deerhound x grey, had one in the 80,S was a brilliant bitch ,showed my wife the photos and finally persuaded/talked her into it . she had her dog poisoned last year which done our heads in as all the training, etc ,it broke her heart.. were moving to ireland wheres there no ban so we have decided on a dhxgh hybrid , since the ban ive only had rabbiting dogs . heard good things about both breeders , had some good feedback from a bloke on here and actually had a good long chat with david platts ,which was good have yet to bell cooklands . what i wanted to know was who has the better strain /hybrids. from what ive researched cooklands are bill dohertys stock "doxhope", after they packed it in . both have ardkinglass in them . does anyone on this forum own hybrids from either of these people ? feedback /pictures would be great..!! i want to hear from people who actually run/own a hybrid from them. thankyou :thumbs:

Edited by darren_nash

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

another pic of holly shes entered at 11 months but steady till she was 15 months now its what ever goes goes , she hit a few missed a few but all in all im a honest la

dave platts 5th gen dhxgh does what i wont him to but they do take a while to mature i think thats why alot of folk slag off this breed saying they are shite when they have run the dog too young and r

"THE girl dog " Only decent photo i have of her, and im no good with a camera so feckin make do lol collie grey x deer grey

Posted Images

after a long time thinking about it have decided to get a deerhound x grey, had one in the 80,S was a brilliant bitch ,showed my wife the photos and finally persuaded/talked her into it . she had her dog poisoned last year which done our heads in as all the training, etc ,it broke her heart.. were moving to ireland wheres there no ban so we have decided on a dhxgh hybrid , since the ban ive only had rabbiting dogs . heard good things about both breeders , had some good feedback from a bloke on here and actually had a good long chat with david platts ,which was good have yet to bell cooklands . what i wanted to know was who has the better strain /hybrids. from what ive researched cooklands are bill dohertys stoch "doxhope", after they packed it in . both have ardkinglass in them . does anyone on this forum own hybrids from either of these people ? feedback /pictures would be great..!! i want to hear from people who actually run/own a hybrid from them. thankyou :thumbs:

Ah bet you did mate - next time try industrial earplugs and don't give him your phone number...!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Well reading up on doxhope line dogs, they were the thing to have at the time. So if cooklands are doxhopes, it kind of makes sense. But then again I ain't done any research on platts and other strains. I just know bill worked his line to good effect. So would stick to what I know sort of thing.atb

• Like 1

after a long time thinking about it have decided to get a deerhound x grey, had one in the 80,S was a brilliant bitch ,showed my wife the photos and finally persuaded/talked her into it . she had her dog poisoned last year which done our heads in as all the training, etc ,it broke her heart.. were moving to ireland wheres there no ban so we have decided on a dhxgh hybrid , since the ban ive only had rabbiting dogs . heard good things about both breeders , had some good feedback from a bloke on here and actually had a good long chat with david platts ,which was good have yet to bell cooklands . what i wanted to know was who has the better strain /hybrids. from what ive researched cooklands are bill dohertys stock "doxhope", after they packed it in . both have ardkinglass in them . does anyone on this forum own hybrids from either of these people ? feedback /pictures would be great..!! i want to hear from people who actually run/own a hybrid from them. thankyou :thumbs:

if ya fancy a deerhound xs again darren you go ahead , ONEwill only be thinking what if and so on life to short to deny one self . what i would say and i hope this of some help platt does have access to doxehope blood aswell as cookland , i would suppose who can be accesed easily both different ends of the uk . atb bunnys.

• Like 1

gaffer off here has some nice deerhound cross not sure if there platts lines pm him darren plus theres a good few on here who run cooklands :yes: atb

Gaffers got his dog from Dave Platt, out of raven and i forget the name of the dam. Same sire as my dhx

To answer the question you'd need owners of a hundred dogs from each breeder and for each owner to tell the truth.Otherwise you'll get individual blokes saying mine's rubbish or mine's a world beater.

Platts is without doubt the better salesman. He can talk forever.

Cooklands is a quieter bloke who doesn't bullshit.

Whether their pups are better than each others, is impossible to say without conducting a scientific trial.

Suspect it's all luck whether you get a cracking pup or a duffer whoever you buy from.

• Like 2

I tried both, won't start slagging people's lines just on the few I had but they weren't great.

Trevor had a days hunting with me once, he's not a bad fella.

Problem is that in general the deerhound xs crowed don't test there dogs how they should do now from my experience.

keeping them as much for appearance and being good natured as anything else.

They take about the same time as an oak tree to mature, so if your not in any hurry to go hunting or are perhaps on bail waiting to go up for sentence and expecting 2-3 year stretch these could be the Lurcher puppy for you.

Pulling legs a little bit, but they wouldn't be in my kennels in the near futer, but at least I gave them a try and 2 years of my life!

saying that I'm sure there's good ones out there.

Edited by baldockbanks courser
  • Like 4

I tried both, won't start slagging people's lines just on the few I had but they weren't great.

Trevor had a days hunting with me once, he's not a bad fella.

Problem is that in general the deerhound xs crowed don't test there dogs how they should do now from my experience.

keeping them as much for appearance and being good natured as anything else.

They take about the same time as an oak tree to mature, so if your not in any hurry to go hunting or are perhaps on bail waiting to go up for sentence and expecting 2-3 year stretch these could be the Lurcher puppy for you.

Pulling legs a little bit, but they wouldn't be in my kennels in the near futer, but at least I gave them a try and 2 years of my life!

saying that I'm sure there's good ones out there.

two years to raise train and work a deer x...................

thanks for all comments , pm,s etc definetly gave me food for thought..!! distance wouldnt be a problem for the right dog, i suppose you pays your money and you take your choice ,iam a strong beliver in" you cant polish a turd " !! the breeding has to be in there ,iam gonna pm a few lads off here that have their dogs . i know doxhope /platts were the ones to get from in the 80,s 90,s ,but some lines strains can become a bit stale or over-hyped , iam getting the wife one anyway :D problem is she wants it to look nice and iam , hunting around for working capabilities .! never been a rossette hunter .