Sea Fishing Kiyak

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use one for breath hold diving and spearfishing as well as a bit of angling. The model is "Scupper pro" by ocean kayak. I rigged it myself with sounder, anchor etc. My advice is to buy admiralty ch

Actually, I have been writig the kayak fishing features in all the magazines (except Sea Angler - whose editor said in his editorial, that kayak fishing ould appear in his pages over his dead body and

I am a qualified kayak fishing coach (instructor) an drun courses up and down the country - and Scotland and Wales - and Italy even!   A few ictures of som eof the training and coaching I have done

Actually, I have been writig the kayak fishing features in all the magazines (except Sea Angler - whose editor said in his editorial, that kayak fishing ould appear in his pages over his dead body and that we were just an accident waiting to happen....have you seen the safety gear and preparation kayak anglers use? Yet Sea Angler are quite happy to publish pictures of people in 16 foot dinghies, out at sea, wearing waders and no lifejacket...ask the RNLI which group they rescue the most often!)

Anyway - I started doing kayak fishing features for Boat Fishing Monthly about 9 years ago. Total Sea Fishing started taking them about 6 years ago - I am now on the staff at TSF, so I can't do the BFM ones,but Dave is still runing regular kayak angling features, written by Cameron on the Isle of Man. I am doing regular features for Total Sea Fishing - next one is on shark tagging from a kayak.

I am just loading the car, with kayak and gear, to head for Shetland - I am after some of their BIG fish! A decent ling over 20lbs would be a good start. Hopefully also some seatrout in the sea - different for a kayak. I will find out more when I am ther - ferry tomorrow night, so I won't be able toanswer for a bit. Homeward on 26th - there are places on those two courses if anyone is interested - and seriously, it has been mentioned, the Angers Afloat safety courses, it was paul and I that ran them. My current course is THAT course on steroids. We have learned over the years and improved it. IT REALLY IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY. £60 for information that you can use every day you are afloat, not just to keep you safe, but also to make it more pleasurable - and you will pay for the course in the gear you don't lose!

Be in touch and I shall report back from Shetland - I hope it isn't a blank!

Edited by Acuspell
  • Like 6

I am a qualified kayak fishing coach (instructor) an drun courses up and down the country - and Scotland and Wales - and Italy even!

A few ictures of som eof the training and coaching I have done (with the RNLI station closest - they come and play too). Many of these guys this is their FIRST DAY in a kayak. Some are more experienced. i have been kayak fishing, and designing fihsig kayaks, since 1972! It wasn't new then either.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT - PRACTISING SELF RESCUE, IN WAVES! Because you won't often fal off in calm water.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

And with the lifeboat along to practise rescuing a kayaker in trouble (they need guinea pigs to play with!) The lads love the speed boat ride!

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

We cover rough water handling, provided there is some rough water. We normally manage to find some.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

It is a full day and covers every aspect, from rigging considerations, launching, landing (and in small surf), anchoring, using a drogue, rescues, staying upright, paddling straight, paddling in wind - from all angles. manoevring in tight corners, vbasic navigation, weather, tides and fishing safety aspects. The nav, weather an dtides we cannot go into detail but enough to make the course attendees much more aware of WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW. next one is in Southampton area on May 4th. I will be fishing for smoothounds that night and anyone from the course who wants guided fishing that night, it is included. I have one in Plymouth on 6th July too. Cost is just £60 per head - for a full day mind (that is only £8 per hour)

Some fishng pics

Lulworth002.jpg

Lulworth001.jpg

Est_0303Bill.jpg

Est_0295Bill.jpg

Est_0292Bill.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

P1000573.jpg

merseypike008.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

bream054.jpg

bream044.jpg

Ladram117.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Doradocomo034-1.jpg

Doradocomo037-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Lozzskate01.jpg

lozzskate02.jpg

Devonbass.jpg

Sharking, 12 miles out. Sat side saddle. One of my kayaks.

Sharking016.jpg

kaskazi055.jpg

kaskazi051.jpg

kaskazi052.jpg

Doradocatches009.jpg

STABILITY - IT IS ALL IN THE HEAD! I can get most people to be able to stand up by the endof the day - I bet the course would save you £200 in lost tackle on your first three trips alone! Look at the number of people who have "learned the hard way" - lost rods/reels/GPS/VHF - all in the waves, gone forever!

StandUp002.jpg

StandUp.jpg

Excellent post and pictures mate :thumbs:

I am a qualified kayak fishing coach (instructor) an drun courses up and down the country - and Scotland and Wales - and Italy even!

A few ictures of som eof the training and coaching I have done (with the RNLI station closest - they come and play too). Many of these guys this is their FIRST DAY in a kayak. Some are more experienced. i have been kayak fishing, and designing fihsig kayaks, since 1972! It wasn't new then either.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT - PRACTISING SELF RESCUE, IN WAVES! Because you won't often fal off in calm water.

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

And with the lifeboat along to practise rescuing a kayaker in trouble (they need guinea pigs to play with!) The lads love the speed boat ride!

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

We cover rough water handling, provided there is some rough water. We normally manage to find some.

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

It is a full day and covers every aspect, from rigging considerations, launching, landing (and in small surf), anchoring, using a drogue, rescues, staying upright, paddling straight, paddling in wind - from all angles. manoevring in tight corners, vbasic navigation, weather, tides and fishing safety aspects. The nav, weather an dtides we cannot go into detail but enough to make the course attendees much more aware of WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW. next one is in Southampton area on May 4th. I will be fishing for smoothounds that night and anyone from the course who wants guided fishing that night, it is included. I have one in Plymouth on 6th July too. Cost is just £60 per head - for a full day mind (that is only £8 per hour)

Some fishng pics

Lulworth002.jpg

Lulworth001.jpg

Est_0303Bill.jpg

Est_0295Bill.jpg

Est_0292Bill.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

P1000573.jpg

merseypike008.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

bream054.jpg

bream044.jpg

Ladram117.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Doradocomo034-1.jpg

Doradocomo037-1.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Lozzskate01.jpg

lozzskate02.jpg

Devonbass.jpg

Sharking, 12 miles out. Sat side saddle. One of my kayaks.

Sharking016.jpg

kaskazi055.jpg

kaskazi051.jpg

kaskazi052.jpg

Doradocatches009.jpg

STABILITY - IT IS ALL IN THE HEAD! I can get most people to be able to stand up by the endof the day - I bet the course would save you £200 in lost tackle on your first three trips alone! Look at the number of people who have "learned the hard way" - lost rods/reels/GPS/VHF - all in the waves, gone forever!

StandUp002.jpg

StandUp.jpg

Excellent post and pictures mate :thumbs:

not in to this sport, but the way the thread was put together was Brill, if i ever wanted to take it up i would deff pm you :yes::thumbs:

Obviously a very experienced guy,I wouldn't advise any novice to go out alone in the West Wales waters,beautiful but treacherous on all but the calmest of days!I used to fish around Angle Bay and Freshwater West etc,you have to be on your toes there I can tell you!Lots of practise on sheltered waters first methinks!Always tell the Coast guard when/where your going and have a Marine radio to do so,mobiles lose signal too easy!

• Like 2

Obviously a very experienced guy,I wouldn't advise any novice to go out alone in the West Wales waters,beautiful but treacherous on all but the calmest of days!I used to fish around Angle Bay and Freshwater West etc,you have to be on your toes there I can tell you!Lots of practise on sheltered waters first methinks!Always tell the Coast guard when/where your going and have a Marine radio to do so,mobiles lose signal too easy!

I live the other side of the haven from Angle mate. :yes: Some good fishing to be had around the coast here but like you say, you have to know and respect some of them or it could cost your life.. :yes: St Brides bay is a decent and safe place for kayaking as is Dale bay but there are many places where you could get into serious trouble IMO.. :thumbs:

I live the other side of the haven from Angle mate. :yes: Some good fishing to be had around the coast here but like you say, you have to know and respect some of them or it could cost your life.. :yes: St Brides bay is a decent and safe place for kayaking as is Dale bay but there are many places where you could get into serious trouble IMO.. :thumbs:

Yes I know these,very picturesque qround there.I used to go in the boat with my Father in Law around Sheep Island and Thorn Island,lots of currents there,have to pick your tides.Also did St Govan's Head ,very good for Pollack and a Bass or two.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That's an excellent post acuspell and great pics... I'm buying a kayak this year for sea fishing, I'll drop you a pm but I would love to come down to Plymouth for your safety course..

We're going to Guernsey in August to visit my wife's family and her cousin has offered me a few days out on his kayaks out there, with him and any time I want on my own... I can't wait...

Edited by NEWKID