Price V Thompson

I used to go out with a bird and her dad had boxed at repton boys club, a real nice man who's claim to fame was that he had beat Minter as a kid ! Lol

What I will ask you lads who obviously know your boxing, is there a fighter boxing at the moment who you think will be spoken of in the way you are talking about some of the people above?

. Time will tell wilf the days of fighting all comers have long gone i am just happy that there are still lads filling the am gyms The era of sugar ray the hit man , marvolous marvin , and no mass. Was special Will we ever see the likes again i very much doubt it , Even the conteders below them at the time were class

Don "The Cobra" Curry, John "The Beast" Magabe, Roberto Duran, several others from overseas, latterly , Benn, Eubanks and Watson from our shores.

The Golden Age of midddleweights IMO :thumbs:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracking post there Borderscot.....i totally agree about Jim Watt... to take the title off a big name of the day,defend it a few times before losing to one of the greats......you cant ask for much mor

Well known dog in the ,s in some circles ....think there was a lot of dogs called Hagler same as years later there were lots of dogs called Tyson Terry didnt just change my thinking i doubt there w

Thats so true mate....having been around gyms and supposedly tough hard men all these years nobody ever left an impression on me like this caring gentle old man did............i wont bore yous with th

I used to go out with a bird and her dad had boxed at repton boys club, a real nice man who's claim to fame was that he had beat Minter as a kid ! Lol

What I will ask you lads who obviously know your boxing, is there a fighter boxing at the moment who you think will be spoken of in the way you are talking about some of the people above?

Ive always been of the opinion that to become an iconic name in the sport you have to have an iconic opponent......The Duran/Leonard/Hagler/Hearns era was freakish in that 4 iconic all time greats were plying their trade at the same time in the same weight divisions........Would Frazier be an icon of the sport without Ali......Benn without Eubank etc etc............I believe Floyd Mayweather is every bit as good as the names mentioned but he hasnt had " a rivalry ".....so will probably not go do down as a ring legend we talk about with the same enthusiasm we talk about Hagler/Hearns etc.

Its also worth keeping in mind that pay to view tv has changed boxing for the average viewer......casual fans of the sport probably like yourself Wilf used to be able to switch on World of Sport on a saturday or Midweek Sport Special etc and watch the biggest names in the sport fight each other for nothing......now you have to pay to see those fights meaning only full on fight fans are going to go the extra mile to view big fights......so naturally for folk like yourself it probably did seem like boxing was better back in " the good old days ".

Personally i can get just as engrossed watching a 6 round undercard fight in a small hall in London as i do watching the big names of the sport.......so for someone like me,as much as the sport has changed outside the ropes its still the same inside.....a man against a man ....thats what i love about boxing.

• Like 3

That's a pretty fair appraisal of my " watching boxing" experience mate........mind you, I used to go to a lot nights with my old man and they also used to show amateur boxing late on ITV I think.........I watched one and there was a big black dude fighting, called himself "Proud Kilimanjaro " or something like that......he must have been 7' tall !!,!.........he had to fight this cozza from another club who was about 5'6'...

They came out for the first, danced around a bit then the black dude hit the cozza square on top of the canister and that was the end of him!!

Funny as you like, sure I watched that on there unless the old Alzheimer's is setting in again!!

Ive always been of the opinion that to become an iconic name in the sport you have to have an iconic opponent......The Duran/Leonard/Hagler/Hearns era was freakish in that 4 iconic all time greats were plying their trade at the same time in the same weight divisions........Would Frazier be an icon of the sport without Ali......Benn without Eubank etc etc............I believe Floyd Mayweather is every bit as good as the names mentioned but he hasnt had " a rivalry ".....so will probably not go do down as a ring legend we talk about with the same enthusiasm we talk about Hagler/Hearns etc.

Its also worth keeping in mind that pay to view tv has changed boxing for the average viewer......casual fans of the sport probably like yourself Wilf used to be able to switch on World of Sport on a saturday or Midweek Sport Special etc and watch the biggest names in the sport fight each other for nothing......now you have to pay to see those fights meaning only full on fight fans are going to go the extra mile to view big fights......so naturally for folk like yourself it probably did seem like boxing was better back in " the good old days ".

Personally i can get just as engrossed watching a 6 round undercard fight in a small hall in London as i do watching the big names of the sport.......so for someone like me,as much as the sport has changed outside the ropes its still the same inside.....a man against a man ....thats what i love about boxing.

Floyd missed that rivalry with PacMan. Now Manny is looking towards the end of his career and coming off two losses I doubt we'll ever see it now.

Well, it just shows how your memory can deceive you.....just done a bit of " youtube" on old Proud Kilimanjaro and it seems he was a pro and not as big as he seemed in my memory.......he still pinged the midget on top of the canister mind you and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen........

That was obviously still in my drinking days and I must have watched it after the boozer ! Lol lol

Floyd missed that rivalry with PacMan. Now Manny is looking towards the end of his career and coming off two losses I doubt we'll ever see it now.

I think it would of been a bit of a manufactured rivalry really......not to take away from Paquiaos achievements through the weights but had they met i think Mayweather would of dealt with him quite comfortably.

Proud Kilimanjaro theres a name from the past.....he was lined up to fight Lennox till it was discovered he had aids !!!.....Think he died of it not long after.

Wilf a good friend of mines son is fighting at York Hall towards the end of March he,s a good little unbeaten prospect i,ll have a handful of tickets your welcome to a couple i remember you was asking a good while back ;)

I think it would of been a bit of a manufactured rivalry really......not to take away from Paquiaos achievements through the weights but had they met i think Mayweather would of dealt with him quite comfortably.

Proud Kilimanjaro theres a name from the past.....he was lined up to fight Lennox till it was discovered he had aids !!!.....Think he died of it not long after.

Wilf a good friend of mines son is fighting at York Hall towards the end of March he,s a good little unbeaten prospect i,ll have a handful of tickets your welcome to a couple i remember you was asking a good while back ;)

Maybe you're right, but we're never going to know now unfortunately :no: .

What's your mates sons name Gnash?

That would be great, I would love that mate.....send me a pm and let me know what they got to come to, but put me down for a couple if you don't mind

I remember sitting with my Grandad to watch the Minter/Hagler fight, he said it would be a cracker.... Now my Grandad had done a bit back in the day, Pro boxer between the wars, trained under Laddie Walker an American living in the city at that time. He also fought through the war, usually against friendly military champions, I have photos from the 40's of him sparing on deck. He fought in America, Brazil, Austrailia to name but a few. I met many of his old friends as a kid and all would mention his boxing, i've never doubted what he done... Proud man, as many who lived through that were... But that night, that fight and it's aftermath, i'd never seen him so devastated.. Sommat i'll never forget...

Billy Morgan he,s a good little fighter only had 6 or 7 fights he,ll be looking to go up to the 10 rounders later in the year.......His only fault is being an Arsenal fan....i blame the parents !

Your welcome Wilf,i wont be paying so neither will you :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 4

Bosun, I bet you were smiling typing that mate, I know I was smiling reading it.......sounds like you Granda was a character.

Stiffmiester off this site invited me to a regimental do last weekend but unfortunately no civvies were allowed on camp.........lucky for Stiify as I may have taken him in the ring and give him a few digs ! Lol lol

Gnasher , cheers mate.....just let me know and we will fix it up

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

I remember sitting with my Grandad to watch the Minter/Hagler fight, he said it would be a cracker.... Now my Grandad had done a bit back in the day, Pro boxer between the wars, trained under Laddie Walker an American living in the city at that time. He also fought through the war, usually against friendly military champions, I have photos from the 40's of him sparing on deck. He fought in America, Brazil, Austrailia to name but a few. I met many of his old friends as a kid and all would mention his boxing, i've never doubted what he done... Proud man, as many who lived through that were... But that night, that fight and it's aftermath, i'd never seen him so devastated.. Sommat i'll never forget...

Nothing to say just didnt realise you cant " like " a moderators posts........but :thumbs: nice one.

• Like 1

Billy Morgan he,s a good little fighter only had 6 or 7 fights he,ll be looking to go up to the 10 rounders later in the year.......His only fault is being an Arsenal fan....i blame the parents !

Your welcome Wilf,i wont be paying so neither will you :thumbs:

Nice one, if its aired on tv I'll make sure I tune in for that :good: .

Oh dear, I'm sat here watching Bunces Boxing hour and Frank Maloney is saying it was an illegal punch :no: Can he not just take the loss and move on ? Sour grapes!