Price V Thompson

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracking post there Borderscot.....i totally agree about Jim Watt... to take the title off a big name of the day,defend it a few times before losing to one of the greats......you cant ask for much mor

Well known dog in the ,s in some circles ....think there was a lot of dogs called Hagler same as years later there were lots of dogs called Tyson Terry didnt just change my thinking i doubt there w

Thats so true mate....having been around gyms and supposedly tough hard men all these years nobody ever left an impression on me like this caring gentle old man did............i wont bore yous with th

Using the old " burst eardrum " excuse is just as embarrassing as Haye using a broken toe as an excuse........getting your eardrum burst DOES NOT make your legs immediately do a silly dance he got tagged with a half hearted shot and it went to his boots theres no pretty way to dress that up....but thats heavyweight boxing it happens.........we are far too quick in this country to write fighters off theres no reason he still cant reach the top of the sport expecially when the division is as weak as it currently is........my concern with Price would be his reason for coming into fights so raw he,s a heavyweight he can come in at what weight he likes but continues to seem to want to come in looking like he,s drawn down to make weight.......that small extra % of weight is what you count on in the later rounds of tough fights and just might of given him that little bit extra to of withstood that shot the other night........not only that he,s a huge guy look at his frame....maybe he does it to keep his speed and workrate high.......but if your core strength is not there you have to compensate.....and by the state of him after taking a pretty average clip his core strength is certainly not what it should be.

Totaly agree' I couldnt believe how lean he looked, Almost drawn in.

Looked like he could of easily carried another 3-4 kilo and still looked in shape ?

Ask any conditioner be it conditioning human or animal the hardest part is finding a fighters best weight........and thats something that takes a real experienced eye......an old friend of mine has conditioned fighters from 3 round amateurs right up to pro world champions his ability to spot a fighters best weight is unbelievable ive seen lads arrive with him as welterweights that in his hands were light welters or middleweights that he had as super middles etc.........Price was probably around 5/6% bodyfat the other night he doesnt need to be that low its not a bodybuilding contest its a fight......that extra few % bodyfat on fighters who are a bit brittle round the whiskers can often make a huge difference.....look how much better Amir Khan holds a punch since he moved up a few pounds......people say chinny fighters shouldnt move up because they will then fight even harder punchers....but the fact is they will automatically absorb a punch better themself due to that tiny bit more core strength......What you lose in speed/reactions you gain in durability.......fighting at heavyweight its a luxury you can play about with as theres no weight to be made,its not like Price is a young lad growing into his frame his best weight should of been found a long time ago.

• Like 2

Using the old " burst eardrum " excuse is just as embarrassing as Haye using a broken toe as an excuse........getting your eardrum burst DOES NOT make your legs immediately do a silly dance he got tagged with a half hearted shot and it went to his boots theres no pretty way to dress that up....but thats heavyweight boxing it happens.........we are far too quick in this country to write fighters off theres no reason he still cant reach the top of the sport expecially when the division is as weak as it currently is........my concern with Price would be his reason for coming into fights so raw he,s a heavyweight he can come in at what weight he likes but continues to seem to want to come in looking like he,s drawn down to make weight.......that small extra % of weight is what you count on in the later rounds of tough fights and just might of given him that little bit extra to of withstood that shot the other night........not only that he,s a huge guy look at his frame....maybe he does it to keep his speed and workrate high.......but if your core strength is not there you have to compensate.....and by the state of him after taking a pretty average clip his core strength is certainly not what it should be.

Totaly agree' I couldnt believe how lean he looked, Almost drawn in.

Looked like he could of easily carried another 3-4 kilo and still looked in shape ?

Ask any conditioner be it conditioning human or animal the hardest part is finding a fighters best weight........and thats something that takes a real experienced eye......an old friend of mine has conditioned fighters from 3 round amateurs right up to pro world champions his ability to spot a fighters best weight is unbelievable ive seen lads arrive with him as welterweights that in his hands were light welters or middleweights that he had as super middles etc.........Price was probably around 5/6% bodyfat the other night he doesnt need to be that low its not a bodybuilding contest its a fight......that extra few % bodyfat on fighters who are a bit brittle round the whiskers can often make a huge difference.....look how much better Amir Khan holds a punch since he moved up a few pounds......people say chinny fighters shouldnt move up because they will then fight even harder punchers....but the fact is they will automatically absorb a punch better themself due to that tiny bit more core strength......What you lose in speed/reactions you gain in durability.......fighting at heavyweight its a luxury you can play about with as theres no weight to be made,its not like Price is a young lad growing into his frame his best weight should of been found a long time ago.

Thompson said the same thing about him. He said something to the effect of - "he (Price) needs to put on a little extra weight so he's more sturdier".

It'll be interesting to see how he comes in next time.

And by the way.....what was Charlie Richardsons old scrap yard doing sponsoring the event :icon_eek: ...:

Was it?.......f**k me, all they needed was that silly old c**t Frazer and those two wallys in the ring to complete the ensemble !!!!

I will bow to your better knowledge pal, as I said I have not really watched boxing in years so I wouldn't know what the modern standard is

My distant old memory may be betraying me a bit, but in my mind a lot of the fighters I used to watch used to get more amongst it........it just looked very lack lustre to me that's all ;)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Z184W81eVo0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZ184W81eVo0

Now this is a 3 round fight how I remember them !!

I remember my old man driving both of us over to Wapping to see my uncle the day after this fight and it was all over the radio......me and him just talking about it all the way there from South of the river, you couldn't have a 2 minute conversation about that Price & Thompson fellas looking at that mate.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Z184W81eVo0&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZ184W81eVo0

I remember my old man driving both of us over to Wapping to see my uncle the day after this fight and it was all over the radio......me and him just talking about it all the way there from South of the river, you couldn't have a 2 minute conversation about that Price & Thompson fellas looking at that mate.

yeh and the main talking point was the bombardment of the ring when mmh knocked minter out ;)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Z184W81eVo0&desktop_uri=/watch?v=Z184W81eVo0

I think you're being a bit unfair to be honest mate, the standard of boxing isn't just Price vs Thompson. There's some brilliant fighters around today mate.