How did you get into hunting?

I started off with a mishmash group of 4 russels and a german shepherd. Used to allways be up the local farms hunting anything that popped up. Used to go ferreting with my grandad using nets and a twelve bore and i managed to get myself a couple of jills and started going myself. I remember first rabbit i cuaght myself on of the jills nailed the rabbit at the mouth of a hole and my best terrier " nipper" pulled it out with ferret still attached. Luckily i managed to grab it before the others ploughed in on the action.

Got my first lurcher after bieng frustrated watching rabbits bolted by the ferrets leave my yapping terriers behind. I was about 10 years old at the time and was probably abit young but i was mad about catching rabbits (or anything for that matter). My mum bought me a nice little lurcher mainly collie/grey but with whippet/beddie/deerhound in it also. I could right a book with the adventures me and that dog had but the most memorable was when he killed his first daytime hare. I dont think there was a happier lad on the earth that day !. Back then a hare seemed an "impossible" target back then and we must of chased dozens before we got one. But it was all worth it. Atb

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was taken out from a very young age by my dads best mate, who worked for him... He was a real father figure to me and my bro, took me nesting, fishing, lamping and ferreting into my teens he would p

Sat there one nite choking the chicken and thought theres got to be more to life than this

When I was seven or eight, there was an old boy who lived in the bottom house on our street and he had a big pen (allotment) behind the terrace. He used to spend more time in his cabin there than at

Some really great stories, im hoping that Mr P and I can give our kids a good start and get them interested in hunting too. Would be tragic if this way of life died out.

Your nose doesn't look as big on your avatar now :laugh:

Cheers, D.

Some really great stories, im hoping that Mr P and I can give our kids a good start and get them interested in hunting too. Would be tragic if this way of life died out.

Your nose doesn't look as big on your avatar now :laugh:

Cheers, D.

Thanks - cant deny my nose it stands up for itself lol

• Like 1

watching jack hargreaves

i use to watch him aswel when i was a kid he did some good stuf.i think it was on sun morning wurnt it mate

dont have things like that on anymore was a education watching it his fishing and ferreting stuff was great :thumbs:

You've got 'Countryfile' instead............

watching jack hargreaves

i use to watch him aswel when i was a kid he did some good stuf.i think it was on sun morning wurnt it mate

dont have things like that on anymore was a education watching it his fishing and ferreting stuff was great :thumbs:

no it wurnt that sh*ite.

watching jack hargreaves

would you compare that piss to jack hargreaves pmsl cant believe you wrote that :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Edited by nothernlite

not been into hunting long , probably about 7 years or so ... started with my dad as a kid going fishing were we shouldnt have been and occasionally having to scarper from bailifs and farmers etc , then when i was old enough to go fishing on my own i tagged along with a mate of mine and we worked the rivers for trout day in day out as an old bloke would buy them for 50p each , we did this for a couple of years then whilst out on my motox bike in the local valley i was stopped by a bloke telling me to move on somwere else as he was ferreting , that was it then the bike got leant against a tree and i watched him do his stuff , he was the guy that told me about this site , after browsing on here i instantly wanted a fert of my own and a local lad had one going spare so i snapped it up and went to work .

had a few years off ferreting and just got back into it again , looking forward to it more now than ever !

happy hunting guys ATB

When i was about 10 years old, i was very interested in the countryside, - wildlife and trees etc, and also joined the young ornithologists club. Anything countryside. With friends i also used to go "tracking" in the snow, with home made spears to catch dinner !! Never speared anything.

We also used to search out pheasant "nests" and get the eggs and take them to a local chap who hatched them out and he sold the chicks back to the farmers.

We used to watch a local pit man train his whippets in the welfare field, then follow him working the whippets on rabbits,- there seemed loads of rabbits (and whippets) in those days. I fancied a whippet but we already had a good border collie, who sometimes came with us,- he wasn't bad with a rabbit or two, and one day a chicken from god knows where.

Just about everyone had a fishing rod also then,- we would fish from Blyth pier, or seaton sluice harbour,- and even in the local seaton burn for eels.

You could get an air-rifle out the catalogue in those days,- i think i got mine when i was about 13 or 14ish, and wasn't a bad shot.

I was about 20ish when i bumped into an old mate, into fly fishing, and i got into that and that was my passion for a long time, every weekend, and 3 of us used to hire a campervan each year for a week away fishing. When i met my wife to be, our second date i took her fishing, but she then got into fly fishing and flytying and became very good indeed, but only ever used the one fly, a cats whisker. Caught a lot with that pattern also. The photo is at Fontburn, on worm. Our second date.

It wasn't till i got married that i got my first "proper" dog, a rescue greyhound, but he was only anygood on anything if it ran, if it stayed put he'd walk past it. So i got a lurcher, a terrier, and also into ferrets, by that time myself and my neighbour Ken were ferreting as often as we could. My wife got into showing ferrets. I also did crafts, stickmaking etc.

Now i don't have as much time because of my job, but i'm still interested in anything countryside.

DSCF0541.jpg

Edited by Gin
  • Like 4

Dad worked for the forestry(Thetford) many moons ago and took me out with him when he had to control Deer numbers and it followed on from there for me apart from 1978 to 1992 when i was in the service 22nd Bat R/M Dcomp.

and advice got out as often as you can keep your eye's open and above all enjoy yourself.

paul

• Like 1