lurchers " English shepherd dog " anyone tried them?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prick ears and pig ugly.........but give me purpose over pretty anyday !!!   "Say Cheese !!"

wanted....................     some sucker to buy this dog so i can use it for stud an peddle the new colliex

Posted Images

Well people have bred kelpie lurchers and say thier very good pot fillers but very head strong, and most collie lurchers have feet problems , which keeps them of the hunting field.

These look have the head of a quick thinking collie and good feet like a kelpie best of both worlds. if you had seen this dog turn at speed like I did, I think they are worth giving a go if their is a breeder with the right dog.

The photos above are just what I lifted of Google photos there are much lighter weighted dogs.

Most collie lurchers beardie and border have good feet mate first crosses especially and even in second crosses poor feet are rare.

Some years back a friend of mine had a " English shepherd dog " This dog looked a lot like the old welsh collie same coloring black & tan. size was a little larger than a collie, and a lot karmer not as hyper as my old collie lurcher .

Awesome at catching squirrels, very quick of the mark, and had good feet and a fast turn, I could see this dog had a smart head on his shoulders and could make a cracking lurcher but he was neutered!

has anyone tried them or know of any lurchers crossed from them.?

Englishshepherd_zpse6718175.jpg

Nice idea but its just a farm collie, and there are plenty of these about, its just finding the right sort.

The English Shepherd primarily is used on different livestock species, including cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and fowl. English shepherds both herd and protect livestock.

English Shepherd is also a guardian of property and livestock, and a hunter of game and vermin on their territory.

I always work on the theory that somethings not popular for a reason, just as they are popular for a reason.

If these dogs were so versatile, then why haven't they been used alongside or instead of beardies or borders.

I would think its because most farmers use collies for herding sheep, these are more of a drovers dog from the old days moving cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and fowl from one market town to another for resale. Plus there just not here in numbers I have been looking other the web for them and only seen one website in the uk with 3 dogs.

I know years ago there were black and tan lurchers use for lamping and ferreting but i think these may have been the old welsh collie lurchers which have all gone now. :hmm: :cray:

Kevin, I doubt there is anything special about this so called breed. The fact is you see this over and over again with people trying to recreate the wheel and in most if not all cases it's more about the person making a name/breed for themselves rather than making a better dog. In fact I am sure that is what this so called breed is.

As for bedlington adding better feet lol pull yourself together lol

I can see why your attracted to the idea of this pseudo breed of collie but I doubt that is can add anything extra that a good working hill collie does not already posses.

• Like 5

Kevin, I doubt there is anything special about this so called breed. The fact is you see this over and over again with people trying to recreate the wheel and in most if not all cases it's more about the person making a name/breed for themselves rather than making a better dog. In fact I am sure that is what this so called breed is.

As for bedlington adding better feet lol pull yourself together lol

I can see why your attracted to the idea of this pseudo breed of collie but I doubt that is can add anything extra that a good working hill collie does not already posses.

Yes I know what your saying about some people wanting to make a name, but I truely think this dog could really make a top class lurcher or an all-rounder if the right breeders put there minds to the job, and could use a nice stud dog from bath, they look like they could have lurcher blood already looking at the long back and long neck, well they were a Drovers dog so they could well be the old black & tan lurcher hence this is why they were taken to the USA . maybe if the right person reads this and can find a stud we could all be in for a nice surprise!

I to love the old Collies here is a photo of me with my first Collie my dad got her from a farm when I was a we baby we went every ware together she used to wait outside my school all day when i first started.

meandsally.jpg

When I was a kid there was packs of dogs like that round my aunties in manchester, bit of variation in the leg lengths but all black and tan collie mongrel looking things. My mate had one too and that old dog probably had hundreds of pups to his name coz he was always vanishing for the day and many a time we found him tied to a bitch on the rec ;)

• Like 1