best hunting book of all time

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jock of the bushvelt... Is an interesting read

Watership down for me, fkn classic. I've started reading chicken licken, I've got a bad feeling about it......

A good book to one person may not be the same to another, so I don't feel i could answer what is the Best Hunting Book Of All time or which is the best one I have read. I Do know I have many in my co

Jock of the bushvelt... Is an interesting read

Tomo thats a Great read as dog books go, I have a first edition on the shelf, is not a great copy sadly:-)

In a similar vein, no so much hunting is Red Dog all about a true story of a obviously Red Australian Heeler.

I find with Hunting books, there are those that are stories and those that are reference, and to be honest the reference ones are the ones I often re read. Of course there are some that fall in-between the two categories, some in a good way and some in a jackanory way :thumbs:

Always enjoyed' I walked by night' buy Haggard

Edited by Sirius

The best hunting authors for me are Harcombe, Lloyd and Didriksen, even if the latter is not very familiar with what a "fry-up" is in my part of County Durham :D

Some of the books I keep picking up again and again are Jill Mason's.

One of my best hunting books that's not really about hunting but is the wilbur smith series the Courtney's it's just some thing about the life of back then the teddy Roosevelt hunting trips and all the big game hunting and the way of the life back then very good reads about Africa and the way life is over there at the time of the boer wars

Pugs And Drummers by Marchington struck a chord with me and it's got a cracking bibliography, Foxhunting On The Lakeland Fells by Clapham got me started on fell hunting and Memoirs Of A Gamekeeper, Elveden1868-1953 is an excellent read on a winters night. The chapter on poaching is an eye opener.

One of the best series of hunting books is the lonsdale series

Foxhunting with hounds is one of many books in the series.

They are as thick as a bible

However they are probebly difficult to obtain due to there age

i own one that covers game keeping