Deer and fox dogs

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.

You have obviously never caught any muntjac bucks - locally I know of a number of dogs killed by muntjac and a few years back I saw a 26" bull cross bleed to death after being opened up by muntjac. I also know of dogs killed by fallow and sika

F**king hell now it takes a game dog to kill a Munty,Ive heard it all.

I said nothing at all about game dogs or killing muntjac - just that muntjac and other deer kill dogs from time to time, whereas foxes don't do this. I have two mates who have had dogs killed by muntjac-related accidents which happened while they were out rabbiting just in the last couple of years and as I said, I had another mate whose bull-cross bled-out after a munty opened up its neck and severed an artery - I was there and we simply couldn't stop the bleeding and save the dog. Over the years I spent thousands on muntjac-related vet bills and I took out insurance on all my dogs soon after I moved to a place that is heaving with them. When it was legal and I ran deer regularly and I mean just about every day I found that you might well catch dozens without the dog getting a scratch and then have your dogs badly opened up by one. The best dogs quickly learn that they are dangerous and developed techniques for tackling them without getting badly hurt but the learning curve is steep and can be very expensive and occasionally deadly for the dog. If you get in a knife fight, no matter how good you are you will get cut from time to time. I have also seen dogs killed and/or badly injured by fallow and sika. In the past I had several dogs jib after getting hurt by deer and taking deer regularly was a much rougher game than many on here can imagine. This is all academic now with the ban in place but back when it was legal and I had lots of deer permission I would never take take anyone else out after muntjac because of the risk to inexperienced dogs.

• Like 1

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty people will jack from a fallow buck never mind there dogs

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 1

the cross i ran in the 80s was saluki grey x collie grey he took both fox and deer no problem and had good wind on hare photo been up before atb

Posted Images

The difference is deer dont bite back and deer being hooved animals are a natural prey animal for a dog.It only takes ability for a dog to take deer it takes bo**ocks as well to to make a proper fox dog.

You have obviously never caught any muntjac bucks - locally I know of a number of dogs killed by muntjac and a few years back I saw a 26" bull cross bleed to death after being opened up by muntjac. I also know of dogs killed by fallow and sika

I said nothing at all about game dogs or killing muntjac - just that muntjac and other deer kill dogs from time to time, whereas foxes don't do this. I have two mates who have had dogs killed by muntjac-related accidents which happened while they were out rabbiting just in the last couple of years and as I said, I had another mate whose bull-cross bled-out after a munty opened up its neck and severed an artery - I was there and we simply couldn't stop the bleeding and save the dog. Over the years I spent thousands on muntjac-related vet bills and I took out insurance on all my dogs soon after I moved to a place that is heaving with them. When it was legal and I ran deer regularly and I mean just about every day I found that you might well catch dozens without the dog getting a scratch and then have your dogs badly opened up by one. The best dogs quickly learn that they are dangerous and developed techniques for tackling them without getting badly hurt but the learning curve is steep and can be very expensive and occasionally deadly for the dog. If you get in a knife fight, no matter how good you are you will get cut from time to time. I have also seen dogs killed and/or badly injured by fallow and sika. In the past I had several dogs jib after getting hurt by deer and taking deer regularly was a much rougher game than many on here can imagine. This is all academic now with the ban in place but back when it was legal and I had lots of deer permission I would never take take anyone else out after muntjac because of the risk to inexperienced dogs.

tried to send you a pm .?

a good post. but as you say you would never take people out because of the risk to inexperienced dogs, you need to introduce young inexperienced dogs at some point they dont get experience by sitting in the pen they learn it by watching an experienced dog and even running with it to learn the deer game. yes there is a risk but EVERY dog no matter how experienced can get oppened up from time to time.

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 14,

goodpic1.jpg

think iv seen a pick ov this dog [bANNED TEXT] x was it pal my kind ov stamp every smart

See a young inexperienced dog take a muntjac buck at 8 months old (accidental) she tripped then got a neck hold but stayed behind its head as if she instinctively knew it was dangerous! Done the same on everyone she had after that except the one that hit a fence and she grabbed its leg....that was an experience lol

Too many variables like what breeds are in the lurcher and working styles etc, as well as differing views from lads to say what is the ideal fox/deer dog but imo its one that does both fully committed no f*****g about just gets it done no matter the size or how dangerous it is.

• Like 1

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 14,

goodpic1.jpg

think iv seen a pick ov this dog [bANNED TEXT] x was it pal my kind ov stamp every smart

bull grey x collie grey

Was able to glue one along a dogs rib cage before. Another opened a windpipe and needed internal stitching, dog was lucky to live had its throat opened right up.

would you recommend using chest plates??? think the aussies, yanks etc use something similar when hunting boar.......... :hmm:

Probably worth it if you was hitting them all the time. Like said before its gonna happen eventually it a matter of when!

Pre ban of course

well i never knew that!! only ran muntys in woods and there gone quicker than you can blink lol never thought id be risking a dogs life hunting them tho............. :icon_eek: