Deer and fox dogs

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plenty people will jack from a fallow buck never mind there dogs

my old dog ,give 100% every time he was out ,pleasure to own and run,do foxes for fun,had his fair share of roe.,but never seen anything bigger.could do some good bags of rabbits as well.put down at 1

the cross i ran in the 80s was saluki grey x collie grey he took both fox and deer no problem and had good wind on hare photo been up before atb

Posted Images

if you have a dog that getting oppened up that often that it needs a chest plate it aint suited to the deer game

So do i... If it dont learn from its mistakes sould of been kept away from them more of the sake of the dog IMO...

Lurcher 1 they werent that bad fellah chest plates and all that werent really needed....

If that was your main quarry back then. I still think a chest plate would of been abit much mate iv took a few too know what they do too the dogs,

Come on now fella's they werent that hard too take get them breaking from cover and they were pritty much in the bag, Had a mate of mine yrs ago now that had two little small lurcher types 18'' and half and 22'' them pair of dogs killed 100's ,Season in season out and ya they got ripped and puntured but it was'nt like it happened everytime they hit a buck. And that was his main quarry

if it aint learnt after catching a few how to handle them and you find it in the pen lame more often than your out i wouldnt be keeping it as a deer dog. As has been said before there are deer dogs that catch the odd uns and end up with cuts and bruises and there are deer dogs that do it week in week out without so much as a scratch. but if you need a ozzy style chest plate for a munty i would stick to catching rabbits.

• Like 2

I'd never have refused a slip on em and would never use a dog that needed a chest plate lol but if you was concerned about your dogs saftey then why the feck not ?

if your pulled by old bill with a dog with a chest plate on you try convincing them your after rats and rabbits.... :laugh:

• Like 1

if it aint learnt after catching a few how to handle them and you find it in the pen lame more often than your out i wouldnt be keeping it as a deer dog. As has been said before there are deer dogs that catch the odd uns and end up with cuts and bruises and there are deer dogs that do it week in week out without so much as a scratch. but if you need a ozzy style chest plate for a munty i would stick to catching rabbits.

but surely chest plates are a small price to pay when risking your dogs life???