Mick Douglas Norfolk Lurchers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to hear you speak well of an old Pal,....most of my hunting partners have also gone to ground,...I expect it will soon be my turn to lay quietly under the cold turf.... However, as long as w

More memories of Mick. As we had just moved on to a 3000 acre farm with no keeper, over run with foxes, rabbit and hares. My wife had a good lurcher but my jack was a ratter with queen Anne legs. I r

Spent a bit of time with Mick in the late 90s.Was introduced to him be a mate of mine Chris who'd had dogs from him since he was a teenager when Mick came down to Kent to buy a generator from Chris's

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Just my kind of topic this mate 

Who's the paraffin? 

Incidentally I'm a bit of a paraffin myself 

he wore no shoes winter or summer and lived a life of penury on the fens

On 22/04/2024 at 18:46, Systema said:

The Norfolk Lurcher Breeder ,MEET MICK DOUGLAS 

called the Fen Man or Hippy ...Bloody legend ,And no bullshit from him ,RIP My Friend  we miss x

Good to hear you speak well of an old Pal,....most of my hunting partners have also gone to ground,...I expect it will soon be my turn to lay quietly under the cold turf....

However, as long as we are in the land of the living, we should always award our true friends with the honour they deserve,....its only right and proper.....

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 15

Great thread is this and Systema thanks for sharing your stories of a man who will go down in history as a legend of the past lurcher world. I think just by the look of the types MD kept they had an influence on some of the legendary hare catching lurchers that we have seen over the years. A few pics I have found of a bitch bought directly off MD by a lad from Sheffield in the 80s and some pup's out of her when she was put to a 3 quarter greyhound saluki called Nero from Eckington nr Sheffield in the 80s and was by all accounts a decent dog.

20240423_093208.jpg

20240423_091546.jpg

20240423_091551.jpg

20240423_091604.jpg

• Like 7

Spent a bit of time with Mick in the late 90s.Was introduced to him be a mate of mine Chris who'd had dogs from him since he was a teenager when Mick came down to Kent to buy a generator from Chris's dad.First time I met him he was staying down here in his Van as he had a little boat on a creek near me and went out into the swale for 3 days on his tiny boat with 2 dogs,His old lurcher Swiftny and a little Jack Russel bitch.I had a neat little bitch that Chris had produced by accident out of a brother/sister mating from Micks breeding who was so obedient and easily trained but only good for rabbits as she only stood about 21".Mick was impressed with how well trained I had her and was also impressed with some smoke that Id grown and we hit it off.He was a really interesting fella who seemed to know a bit about everything.Had a good few days coursing up on his Marsh over the next few years and he would always give me a bell to see if I could get him some compost as he called it whenever he was down this end.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I can honestly say I don't think there will ever be characters like MD in this changing world and country. 

great characters great days, sadly we can't go back, but they can't take away the great times we have had, it's been a wonderful journey 👍

• Like 1
7 hours ago, fred90 said:

great characters great days, sadly we can't go back, but they can't take away the great times we have had, it's been a wonderful journey 👍

It was mate and thankfully it's something they can't take away from us though I know those of us from the 70s onwards were fortunate to have the best decades as far as lurchers and hunting with them. I know some of us older generation tend to reminisce a bit about the past but to me it was a good time for hunting with lurchers that was a big part of our lives. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

It was mate and thankfully it's something they can't take away from us though I know those of us from the 70s onwards were fortunate to have the best decades as far as lurchers and hunting with them. I know some of us older generation tend to reminisce a bit about the past but to me it was a good time for hunting with lurchers that was a big part of our lives. 

Ya not wrong on that 1 mate👍

• Like 1
23 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I can honestly say I don't think there will ever be characters like MD in this changing world and country. 

Don't think I'd ever met anyone quite like Mick before and doubt I'll ever meet anyone quite like him again.I can remember getting up his place early one morning for a run and the wind feeling like it was gunna cut you in half when we got out the motor out in the middle of the marsh next to his cottage.Mick came strolling out to us in bare feet,dungarees and a chequed shirt with the top 3 buttons undone.He stood and had a chat for 10mins and asked if I thought my bull cross bitch could kill a fox on his marsh.When I said she could catch them anywhere he went in and got his jack Russel bitch and put on a pair of what looked like them Croc things that are all the rage now.No socks or Coat and walked the marsh for about 3hrs with us.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, breeze said:

Downsouth... Did you find a fox ? 

Can't imagine digging to a terrier in a pair of crocs... Lol

Not that day mate.Had to put up with just Hares

• Like 1