daytime jobs?

After labouring for a builder and working for my Dad for a bit I started on with a small company fabricating and erecting steel plus roofing and cladding. Pretty much always worked with my younger brother and after 18 months or so and crap pay we decided to set up on our own, that was 1998...... An old Astra estate, bag of tools and a labourer, I was 21 my brother 19 and we earnt good money and spent it quick.... We got a bit bigger as time went on and turned over good money but seemed to earn less lol.... We traveled all over the country, we laid the roof and walls and all Ali works, at Mercedes at Cardiff gate, hung huge cladded doors in st Athans, roofing and cladding on new Tescos in penistone, Gloucester, Congelton .....waitrose at reading..... We got done for 42k and I didn't sleep as I was sure I'd lose the house the lot...... Then everything went full circle and we merged with the bloke who was our first boss... I'm now in the office most of the time, got a small fab shop and we're securing some nice contracts I'm in Caerphilly tomorrow for a new KFC and another in Endfield.... I've worked my nuts off and at 36 ( nearly) With a little luck it could all start to become worth it...we employ 8 on the books an a few subbie gangs and I've started my nephew on an apprenticeship scheme to eventually have an nvq in roofing and cladding...I know we would struggle to start again now so good luck to the young lads who are having a go

The dogs have come onto site with me, and they come with me now in the office or on the run around, they get walked and looked after that's the main thing......

worked on the cladding for many years employed afew lads but packed in through the time spent away and not seeing the kids growing up :thumbs:
  • Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am retired now for the past 2 years, my working life was Asphalt paving, 1960/62 M4 slough reading, those cabbage fields down around there was moving with rabbits, (( I had a collie x bred from COTT

been a plasterer for the last 10 years, helps bein self employed because your your own boss. people have said to me you should be well off but i love my hunting and would rather hunt than slog it out

im an electrician and have been self employed for the last 5 years. Had plenty of work in yorkshire but have just moved to cornwall and am not finding much down here so i have to waste my days fishing

I know what you mean pip1968, I came home from Bridgend on a Friday night and my lad walked round the corner, he was crawling on the Sunday night when I left, it's given me a nice standard of life over the years but its hard work and as we grew it got more and more stressful, we had 18 blokes going on labour only jobs and keeping a check on quality was a nightmare.

My office is 2 mins from my house now with the workshop attached, I don't work weekends and although I work long hours I can take time off as others full my shoes now...... The weird thing is I miss being on site neither me or my bro are office people we're site lads and I miss the banter etc........ Although saying that you can't shit without getting written permission on sites now, it's all health and safety mad.

What did you get into after the cladding mate?

I know what you mean pip1968, I came home from Bridgend on a Friday night and my lad walked round the corner, he was crawling on the Sunday night when I left, it's given me a nice standard of life over the years but its hard work and as we grew it got more and more stressful, we had 18 blokes going on labour only jobs and keeping a check on quality was a nightmare.

My office is 2 mins from my house now with the workshop attached, I don't work weekends and although I work long hours I can take time off as others full my shoes now...... The weird thing is I miss being on site neither me or my bro are office people we're site lads and I miss the banter etc........ Although saying that you can't shit without getting written permission on sites now, it's all health and safety mad.

What did you get into after the cladding mate?

done a cal zip roof on a new build school in bridgend but stayed in porthcawl then cladded 3 oil tanks in fishgaurd harbour spent 10 months in dublin and just went were the work was basically,a mate asked me to try slating and tileing houses and ended up doing that for about 8yrs but it took its toll on me so im happy at the moment doing agency work in runcorn working nights its a good job just standing there making sure no one gets hurt and and im happy with the pay and hours

back into London, M4 CHISWICK FLYOVER,((( A FEW HUMAN BODIES SUPPORTING THE CONCRETE, STRUCTURES, ((( COURTESY of the

EAST END,Lads, they shall remain nameless,

:laugh: You northerners will believe anything if it sounds more exciting than working downt pit ! :laugh:

I lived 4 years in Fulham london sw6 that was our companys base in Carnwath Road,sw6 then moved over to Canning town E16, as I said I had my dogs, and a Ferret I bought down Petty coat Lane, the sunday market, never saw a rabbit in its life the first rabbit it bolted was at a Jews college, nr Reading, I opened the rabbit up and gave the hot liver, it went mad jumping around and hissing, but it soon made a good worker, thats more than 47 years back, and I remember like yesterday, happy memorys,, and just for you, the big freeze up, 1963 for 6 weeks or more we could not lay Asphalt, My mate then Johnnie Lawrence, same age as me, I was driving there wee coal truck a thames 4D COULD CARRY ABOUT 2 AND HALF TONNES of anthracite, from the gas works down at Rose st sw6, they all used to drink in the Queens,Head, Bagleys Lane, sw6 Tony Lawrence, Johnnie and Kenny Lawrences brother, got shot in the Head 5 times, and lived, DO NOT SPOUT OFF IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, I saw a fight one night there, Jonnie Bindon, Tony Lawrence done him straight, he was lucky to get out of the pub Johnnie bindon myself and the Lawrence family all worked for Limmer, the Barnham family, Patsy and Freddie, two great fellows, stevie Cole, another Limmer man, he got done in the Limmers Yard, by the Richardsons, Stevie went into there club off rose st, Fulham, and caused a bit of bother, about 2 weeks later, they followed him into the yard, done him, stabbed him up the arse a few times and left him, he spent a couple days in hospital lying on his stomach, he never gave them any more problems, this was around19 62 to 64 Ronnie oSullivans father came out of those same flats, were the Lawrences lived,Barnham family, Bobby giggs, another hardy Fellow, thats were they all lived, I lived inTynemouth st, just round the corner from those flats when I was at home not working away, I could write a book about it, Bobby Giggs his father, and and another old guy jim Blackley I think was his name they old street fighters, bare knuckle, fighting for a few bob, if your ever around that way drop in and have a chat they will tell you I bet the same familys are still there, Watneys, ALES, red barrel bitter,

back into London, M4 CHISWICK FLYOVER,((( A FEW HUMAN BODIES SUPPORTING THE CONCRETE, STRUCTURES, ((( COURTESY of the

EAST END,Lads, they shall remain nameless,

:laugh: You northerners will believe anything if it sounds more exciting than working downt pit ! :laugh:

I lived 4 years in Fulham london sw6 that was our companys base in Carnwath Road,sw6 then moved over to Canning town E16, as I said I had my dogs, and a Ferret I bought down Petty coat Lane, the sunday market, never saw a rabbit in its life the first rabbit it bolted was at a Jews college, nr Reading, I opened the rabbit up and gave the hot liver, it went mad jumping around and hissing, but it soon made a good worker, thats more than 47 years back, and I remember like yesterday, happy memorys,, and just for you, the big freeze up, 1963 for 6 weeks or more we could not lay Asphalt, My mate then Johnnie Lawrence, same age as me, I was driving there wee coal truck a thames 4D COULD CARRY ABOUT 2 AND HALF TONNES of anthracite, from the gas works down at Rose st sw6, they all used to drink in the Queens,Head, Bagleys Lane, sw6 Tony Lawrence, Johnnie and Kenny Lawrences brother, got shot in the Head 5 times, and lived, DO NOT SPOUT OFF IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, I saw a fight one night there, Jonnie Bindon, Tony Lawrence done him straight, he was lucky to get out of the pub Johnnie bindon myself and the Lawrence family all worked for Limmer, the Barnham family, Patsy and Freddie, two great fellows, stevie Cole, another Limmer man, he got done in the Limmers Yard, by the Richardsons, Stevie went into there club off rose st, Fulham, and caused a bit of bother, about 2 weeks later, they followed him into the yard, done him, stabbed him up the arse a few times and left him, he spent a couple days in hospital lying on his stomach, he never gave them any more problems, this was around19 62 to 64 Ronnie oSullivans father came out of those same flats, were the Lawrences lived,Barnham family, Bobby giggs, another hardy Fellow, thats were they all lived, I lived inTynemouth st, just round the corner from those flats when I was at home not working away, I could write a book about it, Bobby Giggs his father, and and another old guy jim Blackley I think was his name they old street fighters, bare knuckle, fighting for a few bob, if your ever around that way drop in and have a chat they will tell you I bet the same familys are still there, Watneys, ALES, red barrel bitter,

" courtesy of the east end lads that shall remain nameless " !!!....................firstly you havent mentioned 1 person from the east end....secondly you might feel the need to throw names out and talk about situations......i dont..........thirdly your talking about poncey Fulham Rd not the bronx.......................and fourthly well hey ho your right,i wouldnt know anything at all about nasty men from east london :D

And by the way its Petticoat Lane not Petty Coat....and its open 7 days a week :thumbs:

oh and as for daytime jobs.....me i have a paper round,needless to say theres a few streets on the manor i just avoid ....but the moneys good.

Edited by gnasher16

Fork lift driver in a w/house, 4 on 4 off nights! Dogs go out at 0700 when I get home before I go bed and then again at 1800-1900 before I leave for work

On my 4 off I ve been known to say to the wife 'just taking dogs out for 5 mins' then stroll back in 3 hours later ha ha

She ALWAYS moaning I never take my mobile with me but as I say it's MY time with the dogs and I get to clear my head and get away from it all for afew hours why would I want my mobile constantly ringing!!!

I am a father to 2 young kids so don't get much 'free time' to myself hence while I ll always have my dogs........... My escape!!!!! Lol