trapped a ferret

Muscle tone & behaviour alone would have been enough to make a positive id in this situation...Try removing a wild poley from a drop box and compared to removing a ferret the results are.., well, emotional.

Found a half dead one in a fen trap a few years ago, that was emotional until I put the poor bugger out of his misery.. Only assumed it was a poley because it was in a place where they are known to be living. Closest I've been to a wild live one and it wasn't much of a live one to make a judgement of character about! :laugh: Seen a few at at a distance and dead in the road.

My issue was that i don't think you'd have been able to tell from the picture on this thread if it was a poley or not. If the fella says it was a ferret, thats all that matters. :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry lads but Micky is a very experienced trapper for whom I have the upmost respect & if he says it's a ferret then it's a ferret.....and before anyone goes down the genetics route the differenc

IS IT A BABY BADGER.........................

Looks stone dead to me ............

every season i catch two -three ferrets that have escaped or have been released to the wild, i had this one this morning in a mk6 fenn ,other than hold the ferret no damage was done to it ,i cannot understand why this trap is recommended for mink when it cannot kill a ferret.

Miss strike or trap fling? Or debris in the hole impeding the trap jaws?

Found awkward miss- catches on rats with the mk4's

Muscle tone & behaviour alone would have been enough to make a positive id in this situation...Try removing a wild poley from a drop box and compared to removing a ferret the results are.., well, emotional.

Found a half dead one in a fen trap a few years ago, that was emotional until I put the poor bugger out of his misery.. Only assumed it was a poley because it was in a place where they are known to be living. Closest I've been to a wild live one and it wasn't much of a live one to make a judgement of character about! :laugh: Seen a few at at a distance and dead in the road.

My issue was that i don't think you'd have been able to tell from the picture on this thread if it was a poley or not. If the fella says it was a ferret, thats all that matters. :thumbs:

That one could pass for a polecat if you just had a picture to look at but if you had seen it in the flesh you may have thought otherwise , the dogs body language said it was a ferret, the head was to pointed and lastly it had been castrated ,i have caught a few ferrets over the years in this area, the reason is that there are some cracking sets visable from the roadside and sometimes people creep on and give it ago ,the trouble is its made up land ,the sets look good on top but down below its tin sheets ,hut ,cars and green houses the rabbits never bolt from this place because its safer underground ,so it is easy to lose a worker if its a sticker,the ferret will eventually make its way up the hill where i often set traps for rabbits and if it wanders into a fenn it will be caught ,if it wanders into a bodygrip it will be dead .
  • Like 1

I agree with Micky that it is a ferret, being a polecat coloured ferret owner for several years this time of year ferrets change into their winter coat which makes their fur more darker. As for telling the difference stick your hand close to a polecat and then close to a ferret and see which one you cannot prise away from your flesh. That the polecat.

I agree with Micky that it is a ferret, being a polecat coloured ferret owner for several years this time of year ferrets change into their winter coat which makes their fur more darker. As for telling the difference stick your hand close to a polecat and then close to a ferret and see which one you cannot prise away from your flesh. That the polecat.

Hope that's not the only way to identify a poley from a ferret, but being a pole coloured ferret owner that one in the pic looks just like my two.

Bryan

So the question is . . . . did you keep it or kill it? And was it handleable and friendly?

killed it ,ive taken them out of traps before but it takes two people ,if i had tried to do it on my own it would have caused more stress to it .

• 3 weeks later...

ferret escapees gone feral wild,these breed in wild i caught 2 young from mum last year,ive had live ferret in fenn one christmas early 90s i was surprized at it not killing it the one i caught went mad noisy and stuff.it made me ponder on the traps ability and the ferrets,im trapping a bank for ferrets this winter as they destroyed near every rabbit and god knows what else on the place.it use to be a good rabbiting site so i must do something to allow rabbit warren to be used again,i beleive she reared young in this bank.i will post future results when i set to it.