salmon!

Ah Bell,

Perhaps I was a little hasty in my previous response. By your profile I see that your 'gender' is left blank, so I could only be half right.

However I believe that the two pictures are of the same fish!

Surely you never went to your local fishmonger?

Just kidding Kiddo.

Take care,

Euilleam,

Edited by Euilleam

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I may I would like to relate some disturbing news to all readers.   While huge bags of wood pigeons are shot over the winter, nearly all are used for food of one kind or another. So there may be

I know the water welll ...that was some flood I was picking carrots out of some trees yesterday to feed ducks they recon the river rose 15'....RIP FRED

The Fishins that bad in the West I have had to get out and get a High from Puddle Fishing!!      

Posted Images

If I may I would like to relate some disturbing news to all readers.

While huge bags of wood pigeons are shot over the winter, nearly all are used for food of one kind or another. So there may be an excuse for the slaughter.

In Aberdeen Shire there are countless numbers of (mostly) Pink Footed Geese roosting on and flighting from Strathbeg Loch.

Professional 'goose guides' take out paying shooting parties, mostly from the Continent on local farm land close to Strathbeg Loch.

Only last week I believe that one party killed some 400 geese. Apparently these cowboys are not allowed to take the meat home.

So do you really want to hear what happened? Someone hired a JCB, dug a bloody great hole and buried the lot.

Just in case any reader takes exception to my adjective the huge hole was very bloody.

Would it not be far better to reverse the legislation or put yet more in place limiting bag numbers.

Lets not forget the Passenger Pigeon.

Euilleam

No doubt readers will be well acquainted that in 1963 Lord Mansefield got a law passed in Parliment that the sale of dead wild geese was prohibited.

This was because the good Lord believed that stocks were deminishing.

• Like 3

Its difficult to believe or understand just how tame wildfowl becomes when they are not persecuted, perhaps that should read persected. (My wee pond is full of Mallard).

In my youth I spent countless hours under the moon chasing the occassional Mallard.

That was, as I now understand the wrong approach.

Much better to 'feed them in' and take only what you require for culinary purposes.

Shooting hundreds of birds (geese) purely for self gratification is narrow minded and harmful.

Killing 400 geese in one morning as happened in Aberdeen Shire recently can only be harmful to wildfowling.

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam

If I may I would like to relate some disturbing news to all readers.

While huge bags of wood pigeons are shot over the winter, nearly all are used for food of one kind or another. So there may be an excuse for the slaughter.

In Aberdeen Shire there are countless numbers of (mostly) Pink Footed Geese roosting on and flighting from Strathbeg Loch.

Professional 'goose guides' take out paying shooting parties, mostly from the Continent on local farm land close to Strathbeg Loch.

Only last week I believe that one party killed some 400 geese. Apparently these cowboys are not allowed to take the meat home.

So do you really want to hear what happened? Someone hired a JCB, dug a bloody great hole and buried the lot.

Just in case any reader takes exception to my adjective the huge hole was very bloody.

Would it not be far better to reverse the legislation or put yet more in place limiting bag numbers.

Lets not forget the Passenger Pigeon.

Euilleam

No doubt readers will be well acquainted that in 1963 Lord Mansefield got a law passed in Parliment that the sale of dead wild geese was prohibited.

This was because the good Lord believed that stocks were deminishing.

It makes me sick reading things like this. There are old people in this country can hardly afford to eat in these lean times, why do they have to be sold, they should give them away. I lamp and ferret and fish, i never waste anything, you should respect your quarry. If it pisses some of us country people off i dread to think what the antis would think.

Donator,

I agree with you entirely. Four hundred geese would weigh several hundredweight of meat, all dumped!

People are starving all over, what a waste, not to mention the needless slaughter, or the impact putting these birds in a tip will have on the environment.

On average 400 kills would possibly take say 600 shots. Lets say 2 ounces per shot that equates to about 7 pound of lead falling on the farmer's fields six days out of seven.

Lets hope the farmer does not graze cattle. Lead and cows do not go together.

Regards.

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam

Ah Bell,

Perhaps I was a little hasty in my previous response. By your profile I see that your 'gender' is left blank, so I could only be half right.

Just kidding Kiddo.

Take care,

Euilleam,

My dear Euilleam, no offence taken. One mans sport is another mans poison but the unwarranted killing and dumping of so many regal birds can never be acceptable. A goose is an adversary of the highest merit, a truly wild bird who sees far off places the likes of me and you can only dream of. It deserves the upmost respect in death as it does in life.

Regards Bell

Ah Bell,

Just kidding Kiddo.

Take care,

Euilleam,

My dear Euilleam, no offence taken. One mans sport is another mans poison but the unwarranted killing and dumping of so many regal birds can never be acceptable. A goose is an adversary of the highest merit, a truly wild bird who sees far off places the likes of me and you can only dream of. It deserves the upmost respect in death as it does in life.

Regards Bell

Well said

Donator,

I agree with you entirely. Four hundred geese would weigh several hundredweight of meat, all dumped!

People are starving all over, what a waste, not to mention the needless slaughter, or the impact putting these birds in a tip will have on the environment.

On average 400 kills would possibly take say 600 shots. Lets say 2 ounces per shot that equates to about 7 pound of lead falling on the farmer's fields six days out of seven.

Lets hope the farmer does not graze cattle. Lead and cows do not go together.

Regards.

Euilleam

That weight of lead is guessing it was shot like that every day of the week which we both know it wouldn't, one or two days being shot on the same field in a week & they will just graze else where, I do how ever agree that it's a waste of meat and does us no favours, but on the other hand to shoot such numbers in a flight there must have been 10000+ geese grazing on that particular field, the damage to say grass new or old is massive, I know the numbers of geese that frequent that area as I lived not so far from there for 10 or so years.. Do you know which guide it was ? I'd put my last penny on it being one of two..

• Like 1

Sorry Toogood*10.

Salmon fishing by net or rod and line in Scotland, is on the decline.

Too many seals, too many escapees and too much polution are all to blame, not necessarily in that order.

While the poor poacher gets blamed for the LOT.

Ah well its an unfair world.

Cheers,

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam