salmon!

fred taylors beat at tarfside where 95% of the salmon are coloured as its from loch lee down, it was the day after we had the really bad flood but up there its not so bad. You can only spin when the waters like that though but i use a light spinning rod and small reel and get some good sport.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I may I would like to relate some disturbing news to all readers.   While huge bags of wood pigeons are shot over the winter, nearly all are used for food of one kind or another. So there may be

I know the water welll ...that was some flood I was picking carrots out of some trees yesterday to feed ducks they recon the river rose 15'....RIP FRED

The Fishins that bad in the West I have had to get out and get a High from Puddle Fishing!!      

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Many Fishery Boards have introduced a "Return Catch" policy. As an experienced Vintage 80 year old Ex Salmon Fisher, I am entirely opposed to this senseless ruling.

Hooked Salmon when reeled in invariably lose numerous scales, resulting in the released fish being vulnerable to a number of diseases in their rivers.

The diminishing number of Salmon caught in our rivers is neither due to over fishing, or even the occasional "One for the Pot", but rather to the operations of deep sea fishing methods.

In Aberdeen-shire returns have been very poor. Some rivers have extended the season by a few weeks but all fish taken must be returned.

Lack of fish may put season ticket holders off.

Regards.

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam

Today I chanced to meet up with the local rabbit control officer. He told me about some very old photos he was shown just recently of fish caught by the Balnagown Castle owners in the '30s.

I was able to tell him how that wee river was ruined. During WW2 Canadian lumber jacks were billeted near the river and for a number of years they regularly blasted the holding pools.

Even now there are no real runs of fish taking place.

Should I be lucky enough to trace the photos I'll 'post' them.

Regards.

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam

If I may I would like to say that I consider myself very lucky having lived in the Beautiful Highlands of Scotland (God's Country) very nearly all of my 79+ years.

Perhaps I will be excused by all you kind readers, if I say that my 'field experience' would be hard to better, whether it be after Deer, Wildfowl, Game or Vermin.

Late in life (43) I eventually got myself a riding horse and throughly enjoyed competitive Show Jumping and Cross Country for a further 13 years.

I have just re-read this spiel and it sounds as though I am bragging. This is not my intent.

In my wee book, just published, I am anxious to record 'how it was' in the Highlands those many years ago.

Life was tough!

Kind regards.

Euilleam

Edited by Euilleam

This is one of my favourite recipes for Salmon Pate.

Smoked Salmon Pâté

This homemade treat is very easy to make and delicious to eat with Oatcakes or savoury biscuits and is very complimentary as a starter to any meal.

I use homemade Seacrest Cottage Cheese and a ‘cheapish’ packet of smoked Salmon from the supermarket. The quantities are as follows; 60% cheese and 40% smoked Salmon. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Do not add salt.

Place the ingredients in a mixing bowl, then trash the whole lot with a hand held blender. You can produce a coarse or fine mix at will. When you are satisfied with the finished product, spoon into a suitable container with a tight fitting lid and allow maturing for twenty-four hours at least.

In the very near future my new book will be published in paperback form and will include about 80 Traditional Scottish Dishes that anyone who enjoys cooking can make at home.

Edited by Euilleam

Ah Man, Man,

A man after my very own heart!

A man with a glass eye could see that the second and fith and even the last fish in you picture has had some nasty experiences with a Gill Net.

Nevertheless a nice 'wee' catch for a night on the river.

I hoped you smoked a few and enjoyed the rest fresh. I am not one to put my catch in a deep freeze for another day.

What size of mesh were you using?

Have you ever come across a Trammel Net?

Kind regards.

Euilleam

• Like 1

When you meet up with 'Jack the Lad' in my wee book you will realise just what successful poaching is really about. 'Jack' was a real Bu*g*r.

He passed on to me nearly all of his escapades, at least the ones that could be put in print.

So as a responsible citizen, and for posterity, I have recorded some of his exploits.

I have sufficient left over material to write yet a further account of his his cavalier lifestyle.

Regards.

Euilleam