salmon!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I may I would like to relate some disturbing news to all readers.   While huge bags of wood pigeons are shot over the winter, nearly all are used for food of one kind or another. So there may be

I know the water welll ...that was some flood I was picking carrots out of some trees yesterday to feed ducks they recon the river rose 15'....RIP FRED

The Fishins that bad in the West I have had to get out and get a High from Puddle Fishing!!      

Posted Images

resized%20photos The King of fishes is hard to beat wether on a line or on a plate.

When I get a nice fresh fish there are times that I just have to fillet it and home smoke it.

Once upon a time Atlantic Salmon were so plentiful during the netting season it was often said, "not Salmon again?"

These days are past and not likely to return, nevertheless a man can get lucky sometimes.

Photo shows sides of the 'King' salted and ready for 'hot smoking'

Cheers.

Euilleam

post-79527-0-40598300-1354122584_thumb.jpg

Edited by Euilleam

resized%20photos The King of fishes is hard to beat wether on a line or on a plate.

When I get a nice fresh fish there are times that I just have to fillet it and home smoke it.

Once upon a time Atlantic Salmon were so plentiful during the netting season it was often said, "not Salmon again?"

These days are past and not likely to return, nevertheless a man can get lucky sometimes.

Photo shows sides of the 'King' salted and ready for 'hot smoking'

Cheers.

Euilleam

do you leave fillit in brine before smoking

Yes you can use brine or cover with dry salt depending on taste. I usually leave mine overnight but it is not too important when you are hot smoking. But do not overdo the salting period as you will have to eat the end product.

If I may I would like to say here, nothing to do with 'fish.' but I also prepare and cook pressed Ox Tongue and pickled Brisket of Beef. Both requires a process using brine.

If you wish to see some photos of these dishes, say so.

Cheers.

Euilleam

Sorry Toogood*10.

Salmon fishing by net or rod and line in Scotland, is on the decline.

Too many seals, too many escapees and too much polution are all to blame, not necessarily in that order.

While the poor poacher gets blamed for the LOT.

Ah well its an unfair world.

Cheers,

Euilleam

i have never heard of one person blameing the decline in salmon numbers on the poor poacher ...... salmon netting in the actual river systems should be in decline in fact imo it should be a thing of the past unless these netters contribute to a hatcherie scheme...the depletion of the salmon stocks in the uk is due to the smolt once entering the sea and heading to there feeding grounds off greenland being caught in big commercial fishing boats mostly the mackerl nets ......the amount of sawbills and cormorants does not help the cause either imo ....smolt shepharding or even culling of these birds would help greatly .....hatcheries on rivers if done correctly would also increase numbers it would at least make salmon sustanable alot of people dont agree that hatcheries work as the damage is done at sea.....but say for example 100,000 smolt leave there river only 1 % of smolt return to there rivers as adults if you have a hatcherie and 200,000 leave the system ...1% is still twice as much .....you just need to look at what the river tyne has become

Edited by MOO

Sorry Toogood*10.

Salmon fishing by net or rod and line in Scotland, is on the decline.

Too many seals, too many escapees and too much polution are all to blame, not necessarily in that order.

While the poor poacher gets blamed for the LOT.

Ah well its an unfair world.

Cheers,

Euilleam

i have never heard of one person blameing the decline in salmon numbers on the poor poacher and salmon netting in the actual river systems should be in decline in fact imo it should be a thing of the past unless these netters contribute to a hatcherie scheme...the depletion of the salmon stocks in the uk is due to the smolt once entering the sea and heading to there feeding grounds off greenland being caught in big commercial fishing boats mostly the mackerl nets ......the amount of sawbills and cormorants does not help the cause either imo ....smolt shepharding or even culling of these birds would help greatly .....hatcheries on rivers if done correctly would also increase numbers it would at least make salmon sustanable alot of people dont agree that hatcheries work as the damage is done at sea.....but say for example 100,000 smolt leave there river only 1 % of smolt return to there rivers as adults if you have a hatcherie and 200,000 leave the system ...1% is still twice as much .....you just need to look at what the river tyne has become

counted a dozen cormarants up a tree in our local salmon water the other nite while i was down a walk with the dogs :thumbs:

Hey man,

The 'poacher pun' was very much one in cheek. I am fully aware that overfishing in deep sea and the lack of natural feeding PLUS polution is largely responsible for the shortage of game fish in our rivers.

However let me say I am NOT infavour of 'Catch and Release,' such methods give the incorrect numers in rivers and any released damaged fish can lead to diseased fish.

Regards.

Euilleam

Yes you can use brine or cover with dry salt depending on taste. I usually leave mine overnight but it is not too important when you are hot smoking. But do not overdo the salting period as you will have to eat the end product.

If I may I would like to say here, nothing to do with 'fish.' but I also prepare and cook pressed Ox Tongue and pickled Brisket of Beef. Both requires a process using brine.

If you wish to see some photos of these dishes, say so.

Cheers.

Euilleam

yeah the ox tongue and brisket recipes sound good fancy sharing them

No it is not cheap to buy.

Did you read that Scottish Salmon and Scottish Whisky sales to Japan and China are booming?

This boom will affect the Home Market prices, especially at this time of year.

I have been buying short dated cuts in the local supermarkets for use with my home made Salmon Pate that I give out

around Christmas/New Year as wee presents alomg with Home Made Oat Cakes.

Morag and I are just over halfway with the 25 Clootie Dumplings we distribute in December. We are trying to get them done early so

that we can have a break at Christmas.

Cheers.

Euilleam

• Like 1