Nim: Airedale lurcher needs new home

Right, I have agreed to help the owner of this dog find a new home. Due to unavoidable personal circumstances he is having to give the dog up, and is devastated about it, so I'm advertising the dog on here for him.He is one of the litter from my Airedale to my Saluki/Grey. He is coming up 2 years old.

The dog will be coming to my place to be rehomed as his owner is too upset to go through the process himself, so the dog can be viewed in Cambridgeshire.

post-5156-0-40271200-1339794174.jpg

Nim has always lived as a house dog, and is a good barking guard, though not people aggressive in any way. He is used to living with small terriers and he has also worked with a hawk. He has been used mainly for flushing game to the hawk, and a bit of rabbiting on the lamp. From what I can gather he has seen a bit of other game, but has not really connected. His owner describes him as still being a bit of a puppy. I gather he has led quite a sheltered life and has been more of a pet than anything, but has a strong hunting instinct: no surprise there.

The only livestock he has seen are horses with which he is fine. He is certainly not a bossy dog, and the only thing he hates are cats.

His owner sent me this photo of the dog as he is now. No comments please about lack of fitness or muscle tone. I would think this dog is very unspoilt, and ready to learn how to be a decent hunting dog. His sisters, who I have, are extremely driven, with very good noses and intelligence, and tough as they come.

Nim will only go to the right home for him, and it must be a permanent home. Potential homes will be vetted by me, so do expect a lot of questions if I don't know you.

Please pm me for more details if interested.

I don't think he's had a lot of training, but apparently his recall is good, generally speaking: unless distracted by foxes etc. He is definitely a work in progress but if he's anything like his sisters he will respond well to more exposure in the field from someone who knows what they are doing. In his owner's own words: his temperament is laid back and he's not bossy with other dogs.

I'll know more about him once he's arrived here with me.

I know what you mean! :laugh: Hardly an elegant running dog, more of an Airedale on stilts :tongue2: Interesting that the bitches have come up much more running dog shape, though this dog could no doubt be improved by losing some weight and gaining some muscle. Here's his sisters: the black brindle one is quite a tank, but speedy with it:

post-5156-0-36924000-1340012223.jpg

Though this one is much racier:

post-5156-0-34658800-1340012383.jpg

post-5156-0-11894400-1340012424.jpg

• Like 1

I actually quite like the thought behind the breeding skycat, the leggiest of terriers that is the Airedale with its formidible temperament and many attributes, crossed to the speed and stamina of Saluki/Grey, great concept.

With such contrast in breeding, I guess you'll always run the risk of having at least one of the litter being a little, disproportionate, but it has paid diffidence in two strong and racy looking bitches, very nice indeed.

All the best.