MINSHAW .....

Andy have YOU ever bred a litter of minshaw type lurchers from a greyhound?

Yes,i have Joe...this dog below was from it...just a question then guys if you don't mind please?...if you wouldn't use a Greyhound either as a Stud or as a Dam would you use a dog which had a Greyhound as a parent to cover or be covered by your own dogs?

book686JacksonofGemmaGreyhoundandBu.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

Andy have YOU ever bred a litter of minshaw type lurchers from a greyhound?

Yes,i have Joe...this dog below was from it...just a question then guys if you don't mind please?...if you wouldn't use a Greyhound either as a Stud or as a Dam would you use a dog which had a Greyhound as a parent to cover or be covered by your own dogs?

book686JacksonofGemmaGreyhoundandBu.jpg

Possibly if it was a decent animal but would much prefer a gen bred animal but even so an animal with a greyhound as its parent is still a lurcher is it not

question for you andy, was the gh x minshaw better than the lurcher x lurcher?

It certainly never had as much wind..it did kill 20 hares from 21 runs one night with the same dog on the picture Patch,mullered deer and foxes too,could get a decent tally on the bunnies too...definately wouldn't be the best dog i seen but was a million miles away from being the worst too? For what it's worth i'd always go lurcher x lurcher if possible but if and i thought i needed to go to a Greyhound then i wouldn't be kennel blind into dismissing them from my plans? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

• Like 1
Guest Moscow

I didnt think you had Andy, was the litter anygood?

To answer your question I would probably use a such a dog if there was nothing else available from the line to continue a line, the said dog is a lurcher and a better option than a pure greyhound anyday IMO.... Lurcher x lurcher from proven parents for me everytime. Money is not the object for me when breeding lurchers though!

• Like 1
Guest Moscow

Totally agree whith max I lke a dog way speed breeding lurchers to lurchers yes if there fast enough but that will dilute in genarations patch was from blue and did the job my bitch ruby from jack and the grey looks short coupled and has a fair bit of speed max the dog from jack and visa is very fast I doubt if there is a dog that could stay way him speed wise you will always need speed there is nothing worse than a slow lurchers whithout greyhound or whippet we would have nothing again some will be great some won't I'd rather breed speed than to a plodder anyday and peddling if you have 2 good dogs you charge the rate you think there worth end off time planning raring don't come cheap max has owned some good dogs in his time that's for shure each to there own I no the road iam going down atb yes il keep it tight but whith speed always

If thats what you think then why the pm's asking me for a line off Maurice? ffs just use a greyhound :laugh:

Edited by Moscow
  • Like 2

To be honest Joe,i kept a red dog but it didn't see 14 week old :cray: and i put 3 to sleep when just days old they were weak things :whistling: ,the only two i seen at work was that dog my brother owned on the picture and the little black & white bitch my brother in law owned called Blaze..they were out of Bulpa x Grey..Blaze was the dam to Meg (Flying Carpet) and Tara etc: Tara was the dam to Flick,Flint,Polly,Jess,Flame etc:...1/2 Grey's of any type don't really suit my type of hunting but someone has to add them sooner or later? :laugh: ..ATB Andy. ;)

I dont dislike the greyhound by anymeans. Just for me ther is no need to cross one to a good line of lurcher. i belive a well worked lurcher will stand more of a chance on producing good working offspring. in my opinion its chancey breeding from a greyhoumd to a lurcher. as most men who have breed lurchers will agree with me im sure , breeding worker x worker there will be pups that wont make thegrade. so if breeding worker x worker produces 3 good pups from 6/7 pups. i belive the chances of a grey producing grater numbers of pups makeing the grade alot slimer. just my opinion.

• Like 1

:hmm:Folk tend to go down the greyhound route, when they are either dissatisfied or disappointed, with a certain type of lurcher..." It needs more speed, more size,.more,.whatever...." :laugh:

They can see no further, than the algebraic equations, of three quarter breeds, three eights x five eights, etc, etc,..

And for those that just are 'in it' for the short term,..such an action is possibly the best way to go,..

BUT to produce a hunting dog (not merely a hare courser or a racer),... but a find-um,.feckem, fetch-um on home merchant,..well,..personaly, I would always favour using a tried and tested, quick killing Saluki type of critter, as opposed to putting in more Greyhound pace...

For what it has been created for, the Greyhound really is the Daddy,....no doubts about that,....but,.I prefer a good lurcher, put over, a good lurcher :thumbs:

Feb2011HaresPewsey074.jpg

I dont dislike the greyhound by anymeans. Just for me ther is no need to cross one to a good line of lurcher. i belive a well worked lurcher will stand more of a chance on producing good working offspring. in my opinion its chancey breeding from a greyhoumd to a lurcher. as most men who have breed lurchers will agree with me im sure , breeding worker x worker there will be pups that wont make thegrade. so if breeding worker x worker produces 3 good pups from 6/7 pups. i belive the chances of a grey producing grater numbers of pups makeing the grade alot slimer. just my opinion.

Good points there Poacher28 :victory:

• Like 1
Guest Moscow

Andy greyhounds have had there place in br eeding lurchers thats for sure it would be a last resort and extreme push for me to take dogs from pure greyhound parents these days. As for greyhound grand parents well yes I would consider them a lot more. In my original post I said there is no need to add greyhound blood to proven lines IMO and i stick by that.

• Like 2