MINSHAW .....

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to add to the thread,,,I know most have seen the pic befor,,,but possibly not tree hands ....   Venus ,,half minshaw,,half coursing dog,,,littler sister to swift,,the black and white bitch fran

I wasn't ever going to comment on this thread ever , I wasn't prepared to say anything about the breed or the men although I've seen a few run and know a lot of the men mentioned including victor gh

I did manage to find a single photograph all be it not a great one. Can't really remember the night but the blue bitch in the picture belonged to my old mate from Workington.   The Handsome guy in

Posted Images

Cmon Whin your bound to have some tales of cattle and horses with dogs? Texas,Mexico that's where all them cowboy films are made ain't it and you've been there and more? ATB Andy

I was out one night Andy on big land like whin's but grass field's :D ..i knew they was horses about in there but it was a prety safe gamble...so i thought.. :icon_eek: as the field is huge and you can avoid them..they where for dog food i think and wild as.. but fook me i literally nearly had a heart attack when about 35/40 of the black and white thing's come steaming up from behind me and passed me..i could not hear them till it was too late for the strong wind.. otherwise i would of been prepared..and the stupid twatting thing's span around for another fly by.. :cray: ..realy scary shit especialy if you don't like the dumb thing's..

I put that experience down to me carrying a dead hare as i had no bother other time's..and i also had the same shit with a field full of friesian cow's when out with lamping IanB..he said the cow's where dodgy and i said there only cow's..he bolted and i stood brave..bad fooking move i had a hare in my hand again and boy did they want to smell it... :cray: .. i ended up stuck up a tree in the process of trying to snap a branch of to hit the cow's with...but the branch snapped that i was leaning on and i fell out the tree into the field with the lamp on.. ..luckely i did not get trampled but ian on the other side of the field thought i was geting killed when he seen the lamp shining in the air.. :D

The moral of this tale for me is grow eye's in the back of your head and be wary of anything bigger than what your dog can tackle..

Haha Millet looking back in hindsight it seems funny now but its darn right bloody dangerous and its even worse when your carrying a bag of gear trailing behind and have NO lamp!! Scary shit if I say so myself

• Like 1

Oh and it's a german weimaraner :thumbs: ...any view to what their strengths are and any possibilty that these are in the mix somewhere back in the early days? :hmm:

one thing for sure andy they got those type looking blue coats from somewhere , cud a bin the whip who knows pobably no one . atb bunnys. ps and yes millet ya right the germand build for strength in there stock has in most things . atb bunnys.

Lol andy feet I had a dog way 3 legs well one had a pin in it after getting hung up on a fence he used to hop into the kernel lads used to ask me he be sore I'd say come back tomorrow hel be fine lol same dog killed over 200 rabbits a week he killed 76 rabbits and 9 hares the old yin was there I seen him do 14 hares in one feild lol ugly c**t to bedxgreyxcolliexgrey I had some fun way him killed more gear than any average dog lol honest to god he had no muscle what so ever never laid up lol he used to lie under the cover of a MRK 1 hilux until I whistled on him out he shot and he used to jump back in lol I tried to mate way a few other dogs back in the early 80s he wasn't interested and was the only pup I lke those types I bet no one ever looked at bulb a either I was at a show way old dave he was judging something iam not interested in he whispered to me that wee dog of yours has killed more than the hole fucken show I just laughed well he put a shift in for 10 years 5 nights a week lol those were the days boy he didn't have great speed but he had some gob lol atb

a cracking animal . atb bunnys.

Yeah they seem agile yet heavy ribbed,strong boned with powerful heads,just wondered what their stamina was like and are or have their been any lurchers carrying their blood? I ain't ever come across one well not knowingly anyway? ATB Andy

they have good stamina andy with the inbred desire to retrieve what eva they are sent to retrieve the wire haired are a lot hareder type cn had some on his place believe a aquaintance of mine had a welp out of one of the coursing dogs mad for the red coat . atb bunnys.

saw sevral wirehaired crosses one bitch was a nice type keeper on the lammermoors bred them , not my cuppa tea for flat out running but nice dogs for the moors some looked like a deerhound type , saw one run as ayoungster on a hare years ago he done not to bad a guy called clucker had it , nice dog but ,not what i would call an allround daytime and nite time lurcher simliar to a big beardie collie cross in ways , and there nature ,stamina a plenty pace not ,alrite havin stamina but if you havent the pace to keep up or pressure the qaurry well ends up being a slog ,and a jacker through time ,crossing them bunny with a good fast coursing type would make them more for allround work , mate nbut on the hill they pack hunted so kinda ganged up on the fox , still nice dogs all the same and as good as any or better than most colie types on fox, hardier any way ,but no were a good all round lurcher

i would personally thimnk most base bred types with out coursing blood have there limitations thats a fact and its been kbnown for nigh on three decades that a blend of the 2 can get far better lurchers in the running of game , thats a damn sure fact . EXPERIENCE OF DIFFERENT TYPES HAVE A LEARNT us this. one needs to travel the length and bredth of the country back yard animals are fine if though dont see the need to travel atb bunnys..

I always thought the Blue,Rambo,Traveller had a look of one of these? :hmm: ..

My Guess Andy would be def not,

More chance of a drop of Hound blood ie Foxhound or Trailhound ?

Along with Beddy, Collie, Whippet and Greyhound Obviously ?

Then best to best as it should be with a outcross from time to time using whatever blood you think will take you to the point your trying to achieve.

ya may be right there max ,my only theory on the foxhound generations lata one would still get odd animals giving voice . wher the trail types are silent , the beddys throw that blue and light tan , gutchcomon stuff.atb bunnys.
  • Like 1