To say its cruel just becouse youve never done it Is why hunting got banned. The chance of either dog getting injured is very remote,Neither dog can really get any speed up even if somthing dos get up. In saying that even the old hounds dont look happy being pulled around by a youngster so wouldnt do it to one of my running dogs.Dont really see why you would but hey thats americans.

That first staements just daft, you can,t compare hunting to tethering two animals together

The same way antis compare digging to baiting :hmm:

:hmm: its getting too complicated for me now :laugh:

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me mate that is screaming out injury fair enough walking them on couples but free running etc what of a rabbit pops up and dogs turn either way or whatever? Playing and turn either way? Pups with y

There is massive difference between fox hounds and running dogs, both physically and in temperament. I can see how it works with fox hounds, which must learn to operate as part of a pack, but they a

Hell yeah it has

Posted Images

Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

CH, you put a post and picures up, so don't be supprised when people reply; after all, it is a FORUM for discussion. The majority of replies were not what you wanted to hear, but WERE polite. You seem to have made your mind up regarding coupling your Whippets, most others think it's a bad idea,that's life ! Best of luck with your dogs, but don't think everyone else is wrong, just because it's not what you want to hear ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2

Coyotehunter: the reason why a Whippet would be different to a fox hound is, as I've already said, that they are much more fragile: not just the leg bones, but the joints etc. Sightounds are built for speed and they're not 4x4s: there really is a difference in how robust they are, especially as youngsters.

I've often raised two pups together and the way I get round the buggering about together when you take them outside for a pee or whatever is to simply keep one on a lead while the other one is loose. Then swap them round so both pups have a spin round on their own. This also can help with recall: if you make a big fuss of the pup on the lead, the other gets jealous and comes to you for attention. This really works. The other thing you could do is to tie one up to the fence while you have fun with the other. Jealousy can be a powerful tool if used in the right way.

As I already said: pups really need to run free to develop properly, which they can't do if coupled to an older dog. I know that training recall to a sighthound is completely different to using your whip and authority to control a pack of scent hounds, so please don't assume we're all just having a go at you because we disagree with your methods here: I'd be genuinely concerned that a pup coupled to an adult will learn nothing apart from that being attached to anther dog stops it having fun. If you train the recall the right way then the pup WILL have fun actually being recalled, because it is learning that the best place to be is with you.

• Like 2

Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

CH, you put a post and picures up, so don't be supprised when people reply; after all, it is a FORUM for discussion. The majority of replies were not what you wanted to hear, but WERE polite. You seem to have made your mind up regarding coupling your Whippets, most others think it's a bad idea,that's life ! Best of luck with your dogs, but don't think everyone else is wrong, just because it's not what you want to hear ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Hey Chartpolski, I didn't mean to sound short, and everyone's entitled to there views, regardless to wether i think there right or wrong, i would regard myself as a good dog man, ive had dogs since a kid, be it terriers, running dogs or hounds and have worked in hunt service for nearly 20 seasons, if i thought the pups would hurt themselves or that it would be a detriment to the pups i would not have done it, but to the idiots that said it was cruel then thousands of terrier owners and huntsmen must be being cruel too.

• Like 2

To say its cruel just becouse youve never done it Is why hunting got banned. The chance of either dog getting injured is very remote,Neither dog can really get any speed up even if somthing dos get up. In saying that even the old hounds dont look happy being pulled around by a youngster so wouldnt do it to one of my running dogs.Dont really see why you would but hey thats americans.

That first staements just daft, you can,t compare hunting to tethering two animals together

The same way antis compare digging to baiting :hmm:

Nonsense!! Anti's disagree on anything hunting related, you cant reason with them. Here we have someone who trains his dogs in a certain way and is now chosing to train his running dogs in a similar fashion. Putting it on here means you would like a discussion about it so people are airing there views. Mines is its wrong. If you dont have the time to put in training them then dont get multipule dogs and panning them off to another dog to train for you is a cop out and imo there 'is' a higher risk of injury. If it all goes tits up then theres only one person to shoulder the blame!!............ :yes: We live and learn.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well when you come in and let dogs our for the toilet let them have ther run about mate even dogs in training can play, but I think your training method is a bit lazy hearted and I don't mean to be cheeky you says you've done it as the pups are becoming ignorant surely that would shout out more one to one training and not lets tie it to an older dog by the look of the pups they look very young and still in early stages of training so wee bit of uproar would only be norma but every pup needs some training with 1 person and 1 dog its time consuming but if you take on 1 or 2 or 10 dogs you should have the time to do itl, you don't need to have rabbits mate, look at the second pic look at the pups and look at the older dogs does it look like a bright idea? Major accidents can happen in the most stupid circumstances mate and I wouldn't like I hear any sad stories about your pups but this is just my opinion good luck with the pups.

In the first two pics that Whippet dog looks fu*ked off

Yes, it does indeed.................now imagine if it got really, really fu*ked off and laid into the pup through frustration, pain or whatever.......the pup has no way of escape and is likely to get a severe pasting! So the adult dog has had its temper ruined, the pup is wrecked and all for what? Stupid idea.

Cheers.

Hey Chartpolski, I didn't mean to sound short, and everyone's entitled to there views, regardless to wether i think there right or wrong, i would regard myself as a good dog man, ive had dogs since a kid, be it terriers, running dogs or hounds and have worked in hunt service for nearly 20 seasons, if i thought the pups would hurt themselves or that it would be a detriment to the pups i would not have done it, but to the idiots that said it was cruel then thousands of terrier owners and huntsmen must be being cruel too.

You calling me an idiot ? :angry::boxing:

:hmm:In my opinion,...the Whippet is definitely an intelligent and trainable type of running dog...

I cannot see any need (or benefit) for coupling one rag dog, to another,...it just isn't necessary...

TRAIN the dogs, and EDUCATE them at every opportunity, and you will reap the rewards.... :yes:

All the best, Chalkwarren..

Ive more often than not had 2 lurcher pups to bring on at the same time,ive always used couples as part of the training.The pup needs to be a certain size first,it settles an unruly pup,it certainly assists with certain training and obedience,the benefits far outweigh any perceived cases of mishap,ive never yet had an injury with using couples,far more chance of injury from an out of control lurcher,i would,nt use them when the dogs are allowed freedom to stretch their legs.My adult dogs are often kept on couples,they have learnt from pups how to behave when wearing them and know when they come off its work time.It works well with hound training,theres a reason for that,hounds are trained to the highest standard.I personally think hounds and certain breeds of lurcher have an awful lot in common,trained to hunt over any ground,cover obstacles,use their nose and brain,come to terms with certain quarry,behave round livestock,react to command etc.Hound breeding,training and conditioning as a lot to learn the average lurcher owner.

• Like 1

I still don,t get it, both coyote and morton say it assists recall but surely if they are in confined spaces/ in the yard recall,s not an issue and you do not use them in wide open spaces when recall is or could be an issue, I,m confused :hmm: