Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

CH, you put a post and picures up, so don't be supprised when people reply; after all, it is a FORUM for discussion. The majority of replies were not what you wanted to hear, but WERE polite. You seem to have made your mind up regarding coupling your Whippets, most others think it's a bad idea,that's life ! Best of luck with your dogs, but don't think everyone else is wrong, just because it's not what you want to hear ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Hey Chartpolski, I didn't mean to sound short, and everyone's entitled to there views, regardless to wether i think there right or wrong, i would regard myself as a good dog man, ive had dogs since a kid, be it terriers, running dogs or hounds and have worked in hunt service for nearly 20 seasons, if i thought the pups would hurt themselves or that it would be a detriment to the pups i would not have done it, but to the idiots that said it was cruel then thousands of terrier owners and huntsmen must be being cruel too.

You calling me an idiot ? :angry::boxing:

If you're saying that putting a dog on couples is cruel then yes I am calling you an idiot

Ive more often than not had 2 lurcher pups to bring on at the same time,ive always used couples as part of the training.The pup needs to be a certain size first,it settles an unruly pup,it certainly assists with certain training and obedience,the benefits far outweigh any perceived cases of mishap,ive never yet had an injury with using couples,far more chance of injury from an out of control lurcher,i would,nt use them when the dogs are allowed freedom to stretch their legs.My adult dogs are often kept on couples,they have learnt from pups how to behave when wearing them and know when they come off its work time.It works well with hound training,theres a reason for that,hounds are trained to the highest standard.I personally think hounds and certain breeds of lurcher have an awful lot in common,trained to hunt over any ground,cover obstacles,use their nose and brain,come to terms with certain quarry,behave round livestock,react to command etc.Hound breeding,training and conditioning as a lot to learn the average lurcher owner.

Thanks for the backup mate, it seems that if anyone does something unfamiliar on here or something new all the naysayer come out and jump on you, one thing I have learned on my time on this planet , and ive lived in multiple different country's is, that there no right or wrong ways, what works for one man mightn't work for another, I never stop learning and if someone is naive and nearsighted to think there's only one way to train a dog then I pitty them

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me mate that is screaming out injury fair enough walking them on couples but free running etc what of a rabbit pops up and dogs turn either way or whatever? Playing and turn either way? Pups with y

There is massive difference between fox hounds and running dogs, both physically and in temperament. I can see how it works with fox hounds, which must learn to operate as part of a pack, but they a

Hell yeah it has

Posted Images

But you not liking it dosnt make it cruel.As for nonsence are there no gay topics for ya to reply to......

Not at the moment..............why dont you go and start one and not blether pish on here?

I still don,t get it, both coyote and morton say it assists recall but surely if they are in confined spaces/ in the yard recall,s not an issue and you do not use them in wide open spaces when recall is or could be an issue, I,m confused :hmm:

Yeah..... you strike me as easily confused :)

Ok... firstly i live in Canada as you might tell from the flag under my avatar, Canada in case you're not aware has very few rabbits and any rabbits that are around are certainly no where near my property, so that strikes that theory out of the water, as for injury , a dog is a dog is a dog . wether its a foxhound or a whippet, i have had hounds in awefull tangles on couples and the hound has had no ill effects why would a running dog be any different

the main reason for this is the pups are being crate trained in the house, when i go in to let them out for to do there business i can let them out together coupled to the older dogs, they can do what they need to do then one gets put away an the other is allowd off, this way two pups dont team up and piss off and become ignorant, (wich is what there were starting to do) the other alternative is let them out one at a time , then you have one outside and the one left inside either crossing its legs or messing in the crate, it does also help with recall, i honestly didnt think there'd be such a nasty response,

CH, you put a post and picures up, so don't be supprised when people reply; after all, it is a FORUM for discussion. The majority of replies were not what you wanted to hear, but WERE polite. You seem to have made your mind up regarding coupling your Whippets, most others think it's a bad idea,that's life ! Best of luck with your dogs, but don't think everyone else is wrong, just because it's not what you want to hear ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Hey Chartpolski, I didn't mean to sound short, and everyone's entitled to there views, regardless to wether i think there right or wrong, i would regard myself as a good dog man, ive had dogs since a kid, be it terriers, running dogs or hounds and have worked in hunt service for nearly 20 seasons, if i thought the pups would hurt themselves or that it would be a detriment to the pups i would not have done it, but to the idiots that said it was cruel then thousands of terrier owners and huntsmen must be being cruel too.

You calling me an idiot ? :angry::boxing:

If you're saying that putting a dog on couples is cruel then yes I am calling you an idiot

Ive more often than not had 2 lurcher pups to bring on at the same time,ive always used couples as part of the training.The pup needs to be a certain size first,it settles an unruly pup,it certainly assists with certain training and obedience,the benefits far outweigh any perceived cases of mishap,ive never yet had an injury with using couples,far more chance of injury from an out of control lurcher,i would,nt use them when the dogs are allowed freedom to stretch their legs.My adult dogs are often kept on couples,they have learnt from pups how to behave when wearing them and know when they come off its work time.It works well with hound training,theres a reason for that,hounds are trained to the highest standard.I personally think hounds and certain breeds of lurcher have an awful lot in common,trained to hunt over any ground,cover obstacles,use their nose and brain,come to terms with certain quarry,behave round livestock,react to command etc.Hound breeding,training and conditioning as a lot to learn the average lurcher owner.

Thanks for the backup mate, it seems that if anyone does something unfamiliar on here or something new all the naysayer come out and jump on you, one thing I have learned on my time on this planet , and ive lived in multiple different country's is, that there no right or wrong ways, what works for one man mightn't work for another, I never stop learning and if someone is naive and nearsighted to think there's only one way to train a dog then I pitty them

Right thats it I,m coming oor tae canada to beat ye with yer own whip and kick your teeth in as soon as I,ve saved up the money for a ticket which may take a few months but once I,ve saved enough you,re getting it hahaha

• Like 2

I still don,t get it, both coyote and morton say it assists recall but surely if they are in confined spaces/ in the yard recall,s not an issue and you do not use them in wide open spaces when recall is or could be an issue, I,m confused :hmm:

Yeah..... you strike me as easily confused :)

you,ve still not answered my query ????

Youve confused me to,i never wrote that it aids recall,but,it certainly as assisted me with the training of a youngster that liked to cock a deaf ear at times,i would,nt see the need to couple a dog thats in a confined space,what purpose would that possibly serve?,the greatest benefit in couple training is to use it in the field or along a country lane,it aids safety,controls an uneducated dog whilst still giving it a sense of freedom and also leaves hands free to concentrate on other aspects of the dogs training.
  • Like 1

Youve confused me to,i never wrote that it aids recall,but,it certainly as assisted me with the training of a youngster that liked to cock a deaf ear at times,i would,nt see the need to couple a dog thats in a confined space,what purpose would that possibly serve?,the greatest benefit in couple training is to use it in the field or along a country lane,it aids safety,controls an uneducated dog whilst still giving it a sense of freedom and also leaves hands free to concentrate on other aspects of the dogs training.

you say in the field bud so I,m afraid it still strikes me as cruel, one dog wanting to go and piss on one tree and one the other wtf, and most importantly and you can take this whichever way you want its just my opinion but if you can,t train a dog without a couple YOU CAN,T TRAIN A DOG

you say in the field bud so I,m afraid it still strikes me as cruel, one dog wanting to go and piss on one tree and one the other wtf, and most importantly and you can take this whichever way you want its just my opinion but if you can,t train a dog without a couple YOU CAN,T TRAIN A DOG

Its an aid to training that as served me well,ive benefited and more importantly so have the mutts,especially the odd awkward one that also knew i could,nt train it,as its worked for me ill just plod along in ignorance knowing that somebody else out there knows i could,nt train a pig to be filthy and his way is the only way,

In the first two pics that Whippet dog looks fu*ked off

Yes, it does indeed.................now imagine if it got really, really fu*ked off and laid into the pup through frustration, pain or whatever.......the pup has no way of escape and is likely to get a severe pasting! So the adult dog has had its temper ruined, the pup is wrecked and all for what? Stupid idea.

I was thinking the same thing. Whats he going to do when his whippets got no legs. Take them out for a drag

Its an aid to training that as served me well,ive benefited and more importantly so have the mutts,especially the odd awkward one that also knew i could,nt train it,as its worked for me ill just plod along in ignorance knowing that somebody else out there knows i could,nt train a pig to be filthy and his way is the only way,

aye I was maybe a wee bit harsh for which I apologise

No apology needed,a difference of opinion makes for an healthier debate.

No apology needed,a difference of opinion makes for an healthier debate.

:yes::thumbs:

Having couples on is exactly the same as you putting the pup on a lead,So once there used to them one go,s were the other gos in exactly the same way as you having a walk with a dog are you cruel if you dont cross a road so a dog can have a piss up a tree.In the case of hounds they generally go on them before going on the lanes were they learn to stay with the pack,Behind the huntsman,move over for cars etc.Work very well.

Edited by weasle