Shooting Rabbits this time of Year

Out last night had 8 with the HMR at least half were Milky Does. Just wanted to ask you guys whether you knock the rabbit shooting on the head this time of year and if so when you start back up? I don't like seeing them full of young, I could try and support it with the "Well Farmer wants them off here so it's pest control" yet that's not realistically true, then there's the other side where you think "Well if I'm not taking them and using them something or someone else will?" What's your thoughts on it? Thanks

You just have to judge each permission as an individual. If you can get away without doing it then that's great but it's often summer time when the landowners are seeing bunnies everywhere and wanting them gone. Whether neccessary or not I always shoot a few rabbits over the summer months for the ferrets. It's not nice shooting a milky doe knowing the kits will starve though. :no:

Ditto with the above. I'm shooting a few bunnies tonight, maybe half a dozen, just thinning them out. I'm shifting Canada geese tomorrow morning. If I can get away with pricking the eggs I will do, otherwise, they've got to go

The mortality rate of rabbits is high anyway, a lot succumb to predators, disease or vehicles so its a fact of life young will be left.

Its not nice, leaving young I agree..BUT.....

Personally I hit them all year round, keep them down as low as possible..

Depends on the land and the owner really. But if I've got a choice in range of my rifle, through the scope I'll choose a buck over a doe this time of year. As has been said, some permissions are zero tolerance.

Not nice, but its part of life.

The Duncan, you can tell the difference between a buck and a doe at 60 yards?

A full doe is a good kill, take out about 10 bunnies with one shot.

Sadly it's about vermin control, and the kits won't go to waste.

through the scope, yes. Different shaped heads.

Pest control is pest control, but not all of my permissions are busting a gut to clear as many rabbits as possible.

On some of my permissions I cull as many as I can and don't discriminate as the owners want them gone. On others they aren't such a problem and numbers just have to be kept reasonably sensible. Horses for courses.

Actually, given recent rabbit droughts round here, its been nice to have some to go at again :)

Its been said really, Its all about the permission in question. My main rabbit permission is Rabbit Navarna, There is thousands of the buggers and the Land owner wants them gone. So i cant ease off at anytime of the year. If anything i get out there more now because the young are out and about.

But my other permissions were the rabbits are not as established ill ease off and let nature do its work.

I remember being told growing up to only shoot rabbits when there was an "R" in the month, that way they have 4 months without shooting to limit the chances of orphaning young. However, as others have stated if the land owner wants them gone gone and you are wanting to keep the permission then you best be providing the service. Sometimes shooting is all about pleasure and other times it's a bit more like a job I suppose.

PMC