english bull terrier pics

1 hour ago, YOKEL said:

I bit my tongue on this post, I assumed he was talking about KC bulldogs 😁 it's laughable, but as long as he was happy with the dog I s'pose....re: pure ebts being matched, the only one I can think of was "Carl's Guvnor" pretty sure his claim to fame was losing against tug! But I may have remembered wrong. They're a "rough and tumble" dog at best, and to claim any were anywhere near "as game as any bulldog" would hint to me the person making the claim has never seen a true, gamebred bulldog going about it's business!...j.m.h.o...

Yokel 

I just presumed the fact that he'd used the words " game " and " bulldog " in the same sentence he was referring to Apbt....or not ?

Maybe its one of them where folks use certain terms in the wrong context but i think when you've seen genuine gameness up close to the point it makes you want to sob your little heart out you tend to get protective of the term.

Wasnt it the black Stafford from South London who lost to Tug the dogs name escapes me .....Guvnor ive heard of just cant remember now its all so long ago :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m looking forward to this seeing this little chap working if he does work… he’s only about 6 months and fingers crossed he stays the size he is. 

this question has been done to death 100 times on here, and as for the "a long time since the bull was anything but a show dog"... hinks created it for the show ring! athletic LOOKS do not mean the

This old girl was game has any bull dog 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I just presumed the fact that he'd used the words " game " and " bulldog " in the same sentence he was referring to Apbt....or not ?

Maybe its one of them where folks use certain terms in the wrong context but i think when you've seen genuine gameness up close to the point it makes you want to sob your little heart out you tend to get protective of the term.

Wasnt it the black Stafford from South London who lost to Tug the dogs name escapes me .....Guvnor ive heard of just cant remember now its all so long ago :thumbs:

Yes, I know what he meant by "bulldog" I was just being silly saying KC bulldog. 

Dillinger was the Stafford, and I think I did get them confused. Guvnor was around the same era, and I'm sure he went up against one of the names about at the time, and came up short...as you say, a long time ago...😉

Yokel 

26 minutes ago, YOKEL said:

Yes, I know what he meant by "bulldog" I was just being silly saying KC bulldog. 

Dillinger was the Stafford, and I think I did get them confused. Guvnor was around the same era, and I'm sure he went up against one of the names about at the time, and came up short...as you say, a long time ago...😉

Yokel 

Dillinger course it was....his owner used to walk that dog round the estate like he was the local celebrity ( the dog not him ) :laugh: all the little kids used to jump about petting this scarred up little dog there was no secrets in Rotherhithe back then :laugh:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

A Jack Russell can be as game as a bulldog or any breed but that doesn’t mean it has the capability of a bulldog or other breeds some people confuse the term game with match or just as good 

16 hours ago, dai dogs said:

A Jack Russell can be as game as a bulldog or any breed but that doesn’t mean it has the capability of a bulldog or other breeds some people confuse the term game with match or just as good 

Without wishing to patronise you as i have respect for gameness in any dog but you are talking nonsense.....to compare the levels of gameness it takes for a terrier to do combat with an opponent who doesnt even want to be there with an Apbt doing combat with an opponent of equal measure is not only wrong it just shows a lack of understanding for what pure gameness actually is......the dog pictured above with a couple of scratches on its nose,or a Jack Russell under ground even.......those dogs cannot be put into the level of physical conditioning it takes to see real gameness you are doing what many people do and mistaking courage for gameness.....they are totally different things.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, dai dogs said:

Yea ok

IMG_3940.jpeg

And how does that in any way relate to a dog with a few scratches on its nose or a Jack Russell getting smashed about ?

An Apbt taken to the point of no return doesnt succumb to broken bones or cuts and bruises he succumbs to a combination of dehydration/exhaustion ie depleted salts/potassium etc ultimately its hypovolemic shock that pushes him through deaths door.....he doesnt get to that stage without being an extremely fit animal in the first place.

The " gameness " you are referring to is the equivalent to being ironed out in a pub fight and wanting more.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, dai dogs said:

To truly claim a dog to be as game as another, it must have performed in the same activity and been pushed to the same level of endurance and punishment. To say an E.B.T coping a few scratches on its bugle whilst tackling an opponent half it's size at the end of a dig or in a shore is anywhere near close to the levels of gameness required to take a gamebred bulldog through a long drawn out battle with an opponent of equal size and determination is just silly talk. Your dog may have been as game as any strong dog dropped in at the end of a dig, the jack Russell may be as game as any terrier who held quarry at bay whilst dug to, but those levels of gameness are a million miles away from those possessed by a true representative of the A.P.B.T...J.M.H.O

Yokel 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, dai dogs said:

Is the term Game only acceptable when referring to the bulldog ?

Ive always described gameness like the water level in a jar......some quite low,but its there......some so high you dont think it could carry any more.......then very rarely you come across one thats so high it spills over the edge.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, YOKEL said:

To truly claim a dog to be as game as another, it must have performed in the same activity and been pushed to the same level of endurance and punishment. To say an E.B.T coping a few scratches on its bugle whilst tackling an opponent half it's size at the end of a dig or in a shore is anywhere near close to the levels of gameness required to take a gamebred bulldog through a long drawn out battle with an opponent of equal size and determination is just silly talk. Your dog may have been as game as any strong dog dropped in at the end of a dig, the jack Russell may be as game as any terrier who held quarry at bay whilst dug to, but those levels of gameness are a million miles away from those possessed by a true representative of the A.P.B.T...J.M.H.O

Yokel 

I never said my EBT tackled an opponent half it’s size on an end of a dig What I’m getting at is the term GAME if you have a breed of dog that is willing to die for what it wants to do it’s Game it doesn’t have to be a bulldog 

• Like 1