Went to my local butchers and whilst there I asked if he had any scraps for my dog. He said he had a bag full of stuff that he saved for someone else who had ferrets and dogs but no longer had them. He said there was all sorts in there and will now save everything for me from now on. Now my question is once defrosted what can my dog have and can't have as there is a mix of stuff. And what needs cooking and what doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Scraps from butchers can vary a lot; it depends on the butcher as to how much actual meat you get in those scraps. My butcher has had to learn that I don't want just everything he throws out. A lot of scraps are fat: people nowadays don't want much, if any, fat at all. Dogs get fat if they eat a lot of fat! Fat is energy food, and unless a dog is working very hard indeed on a regular basis they just don't need much. At the most, 1/5 of their total food intake. The rest should be divided 50/50 between muscle meat (including heart and liver but not too much all the time) and bone, but not just any bone.

If you give a dog a lot of hard leg bones, or beef ribs, the dog will get constipated and struggle to crap hard white marbles. If the dog's crap comes out like that you are feeding way too much bone. Lamb rib bones are fine, as are chicken carcases and wings. I try not to feed too many pork rib bones, and I never give leg bones of anything bigger than a rabbit or chicken. Neither do I give leg joints, or really sinewy stuff which is either vomited back up as indigestible, or passes straight through the dog the same as it went in.

You also need to make sure that the dog gets enough fibre in the form of brown rice (cooked), rolled oats, a mixer biscuit and minced raw vegetables.

I've sent you a pm.

• Like 1

My local Game Dealer keeps all his stuff for me. There can be just about anything in it, but it has ALL been for sale for HUMAN consumption or is trimmings . I ususaly try to mix it up or give , say, beef, one day, venison another, etc. I do agree, though, DON'T cook it, I allways feed mine raw, and also supplement it with lamb ribs and knecks, that I get off another butcher. You CAN feed dogs VERY cheaply and VERY well, if you look around and can be bothered to travel and pick the stuff up !

Cheers.

• Like 2

I get all my stuff from my butchers, chicken carcasses, off cuts, offal, doesnt charge me a penny, cos i have half a dozen eggs off him occasionally, plus a chicken at christmas, :boogy: green tripe i get from a local farm, mix it wi brown bread or terrier mix, not the complete stuff, but i do use a complete occasionally, rabbits copt with my dogs, all given raw, dunna worry about worms, dogs get em, just worm em every 3 months, every now and then, i bung em a whole bunny each, they love em, eggs, shell n all, fish, the buggers will eat owt, except there own cacky, fer gods sake, if you ever get green tripe, dunna cook that, the stench will draw the shirt up ya back

• Like 1

I get all my stuff from my butchers, chicken carcasses, off cuts, offal, doesnt charge me a penny, cos i have half a dozen eggs off him occasionally, plus a chicken at christmas, :boogy: green tripe i get from a local farm, mix it wi brown bread or terrier mix, not the complete stuff, but i do use a complete occasionally, rabbits copt with my dogs, all given raw, dunna worry about worms, dogs get em, just worm em every 3 months, every now and then, i bung em a whole bunny each, they love em, eggs, shell n all, fish, the buggers will eat owt, except there own cacky, fer gods sake, if you ever get green tripe, dunna cook that, the stench will draw the shirt up ya back

A bet thar butcher carn't wait for christmas :laugh:

My butcher probaly gives me enough for 2 or 3 days feeding 2 dogs. The rest of the week I feed rabbits and hares in the season. Out of season when I don't have any hares and less rabbits I fill in the gaps with a complete dry food. When the new butcher opened up near me I popped straight round, bought some meat and dropped in the question about dog scrappes. Now 18 months on he has over a dozen customers taking dog scraps. Even the local vicker has a bag full!

I’ve a good butcher who lets me get what I want out of the bone bin, lamb rib, necks etc, keeps the dogs going through the summer. Fill a bag then freeze in daily portions once home to be fed a couple of times a week. Other days I use a complete with table scraps and the dogs get the best of both worlds.

What is the weight of flesh / bone to dogs weight ratio . When I tried feeding just raw meat there was a ratio I went off it was quite a while back but im sure it was sandymere who gave me a link.