Lure fishing for trout.

on a local chalkstream wich is free to fish i was using spinner and while i was catching small trout my mate was catching grayling upto 2lb and ended up having a 14lb trout aswell . . . .

It had to be a seatrout or a salmon i would say good fish thou for a chalk stream...

nah mate most deffinitley an escapee farmed brown trout . . . . on some parts of this river its £600 a day !!!

ok mate still a good fish 14 pound brownie i bet it fought wel...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Small Aglia Long and Black Fury's. Every time! T

As far as lure fishing for trout goes, ive always had my greatest luck with the Yo-Zuri Pins Minnow, its almost not fair how many trout ive caught usuing those lures..

Kinda sounds like a fish story to me, 14 lb trout in a chalkstream...

Posted Images

on a local chalkstream wich is free to fish i was using spinner and while i was catching small trout my mate was catching grayling upto 2lb and ended up having a 14lb trout aswell . . . .

It had to be a seatrout or a salmon i would say good fish thou for a chalk stream...

nah mate most deffinitley an escapee farmed brown trout . . . . on some parts of this river its £600 a day !!!

ok mate still a good fish 14 pound brownie i bet it fought wel...

yes mate after the pics were taken was put back to fight another day . . . . things arnt looking good for this river with all the youngsters catching the small uns and killing them :no:

Got a little stream near me and its full of brown trout. Dont think anyone owns or bothers with it as ive never been asked for my licence before and it used to be purple with the pollution in the past. Anyway, while fishing for perch on a pond near the river, i thought ide try the river not expecting much. But to my surprise the trout went crazy for it and ive used lures ever since. Caught some decent size ones in the past up to 3 pounds. Just wondered if anyone else uses lures or spinners for them. Cheers.

Small mepps are lethal on wild browns. My 10 year old uses them all the time in the hill lochs, whilst I am floating the fly!

A small black one with the orange spots seems to work the best, out of the ones he uses.

I find dynamite works real good as well....lol

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little stream near me and its full of brown trout. Dont think anyone owns or bothers with it as ive never been asked for my licence before and it used to be purple with the pollution in the past. Anyway, while fishing for perch on a pond near the river, i thought ide try the river not expecting much. But to my surprise the trout went crazy for it and ive used lures ever since. Caught some decent size ones in the past up to 3 pounds. Just wondered if anyone else uses lures or spinners for them. Cheers.

I have done float plane trips to Northern Quebec here in Canada and the best lure for big speckled trout I have used is a "Rainbow" lure made by Lucky Strike. This lure is red, blue, and green and the colors are kinda mixed all together looking like scales on a fish. These lures are absolutely deadly on speckled trout and if you can get your hands on any get the biggest one you can for big trout. I can't recall the exact size but there are small, medium, and large lures...get the large one for big fish and the medium one for smaller. Good luck.

Cheers

Rob

Try making a crow quill lure - nothing better than catching a fish on a lure or fly you have made yourself.

1. Crow (or other big feather quill - Canada primarary is a bit big). The bit you want is the thick end.

2. Strip the hackle off. Cut the quill to about 1" - 1 1/2" long with a sharp knife.

3. A thin piece of rigging wire (I use 56lb single strand wire from American Fishing Wire, the same as I use for my pike and tope traces, single strand is better than multistrand for this job)

4. Pierce the blunt end of the quill with a needle, to push the wire through. You want about 8" of wire, to make it easy to shape. Being tight with the wire makes it much more difficult.

5. Haywire twist a tight loop into the end of the wire protruding from the blunt end of the wire (you could make the loop, only 2mm - 3mm across, and push the wire the other way). This will take a very small split ring to make changing hooks easy.

6. Put a few size 7 or 6 shot into the stem of the quill. These are to weight the lure and you want as much towards the hook as possible. The size will depend on the thickness of the quill you are using. I like 6s and 7s. The number will depend on the weight of lure you are after too - shallow streams can be lighter, deeper streams make them HEAVIER, but not bigger.

7. Set the shot with a few drops of epoxy dribbled in. You can also use candle wax, it works well and is what was used 50 years ago when these lures were devised!

8. To make the single vane blade, a thin strip of brass is best. Thin enough to bend in your fingers. 1mm thick brass sheet from a modelling supplies is ideal. You want a strip 5mm wide and the same length as the quill, roughly. Bend it to form a 3-sided square in one end (a square with an open side). Drill the two sides that are opposite each other with a 1mm drill.

9. Drop a small bead on the wire that will sit in the open face of the quill, opposite end to the hook attachment.

10. Drop the brass strip onto the wire, threading the wire through the two holes you have drilled, making a supported blade - it doesn't work if you try to cut corners and only put a single hole blade on. The double hole set up on two opposite sides of the "square" creates a spinning blade supported on two bearing surfaces, one against the bead and the other, the long side that forms the blade, nearest the line loop end. The "square" only needs to be 3mm sides and the rest of the brass strip stands down as the blade.

11. Another small brass bead goes on top of the blade.

12. Form another Haywire twist loop tight as you can to the brass bead. A bit of movement is desirable, say a 1mm gap. This loop only needs to be small, to tie your line to.

13. Paint the crow quill. Humbrol modelling enamel is good. Or you can use the modern markers for fly tying and cover them with varnish or epoxy wash. Brown, red and yellow spots are good colours to use - small spots like a minnow.

14. Test your new lure in the stream - the brass strip can be adjusted to create the spin. As a starting point have it standing out from the quill at about 30 degrees. It will spin and wobble and is devastating. Bigger ones will work for pike too!

No, I don't have pictures. I need to make some for myself too - I am sure you can get the gist of it though.

Quill stem is the body, the shot inside makes the weight (plus the weight of the other parts).

Brass strip will spin around the wire and the stem will wobble. Beads are just to make it easier for the blade to spin.

Wax or epoxy just to stop the shot from falling out.

If blade is too long, simply snip it back a bit and try again - SNIP WITH CARE, don't take a great chunk off for the first go! Just a little at a time. Once you have the right length, you will make the second one much better simply because of the practise. It takes longer to write how to do it than to make the thing!

The white of the quill should be left as the belly of the imitation fish - it is translucent and has a natural colour that works brilliantly. Try running it through the tail of the runs into a pool, rather than the slower bits. Work well for seatrout too - well it should, brownies and seatrout are the same thing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...