TOOL OR WORKING COMPANION

Seen a few threads on here lately where guys have stated that their dogs are treated as tools of the trade and dont want to get too attached to them for fear of the heartache of losing a dog. But can you get the best out of a dog if you dont get a strong bond with your dog. I know that gut wrenching feeling of losing a dog at its prime through some tragic mishap while lamping, but i doubt you can get the best out of a dog if you dont commit to forming a strong bond, some will disagree whats your take on the subject. YIS KIC :thumbs:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tools the lads i go out with are working companions, if ye start loving a dog and treating it like ye best mate ye make excuses for faults and the dogs lack of skill or progress next thing ye know ye

Working companion, you have to have a bond with a dog to get the best out of it, unless your a point and slip merchant and require little or no training, but to me that is not what a lurcher is all a

Its a working dog site, you shouldnt have to justify your reason on here.

Tools the lads i go out with are working companions, if ye start loving a dog and treating it like ye best mate ye make excuses for faults and the dogs lack of skill or progress next thing ye know ye are stuck with a wanker in ye kennels ye have to feed for the next 10-15 years :thumbs:

• Like 5

Tools the lads i go out with are working companions, if ye start loving a dog and treating it like ye best mate ye make excuses for faults and the dogs lack of skill or progress next thing ye know ye are stuck with a wanker in ye kennels ye have to feed for the next 10-15 years :thumbs:

Fair point Hedz :yes:

I'm with Wilf... Both.

The love of 'the game' has always kept me at it, even with the heartaches of losing dogs. Whether the've gone through the graft or the lack of it, its always a sickener but if it's in your blood, you pick yourself up and get back in the saddle, lifes all too short..!

• Like 3

Working companion, you have to have a bond with a dog to get the best out of it, unless your a point and slip merchant and require little or no training, but to me that is not what a lurcher is all about.

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 5
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

some the best working lurchers i've seen are owned by women.who treat them like babies.

Get nowt from any working animal if you dont embrace there desire to please you.

some of worst working dogs have been owned by so called countrymen.

Cookie

• Like 1

some the best working lurchers i've seen are owned by women.who treat them like babies.

Get nowt from any working animal if you dont embrace there desire to please you.

some of worst working dogs have been owned by so called countrymen.

Cookie

true mate you got to bond to them to get the best out of them, but with lurchers+terriers its hard as you take them out 1 day, and might not be coming back with them same day. Not many working dogs have as hard life, i dont think as these.!!

I sometimes wish I just saw them as tools: when you have a heap of crippled or old lurchers, its hard to get rid if you have feelings for them. Especially if they have earned their retirement. As I get older I feel less and less inclined to have a dog put down just because it can't work any more: when I was younger I was a lot harder. Life becomes more precious the older you get! But then you just end up with a heap of useless dogs! :unsure:

• Like 3

to me a lurcher is a tool to do a job it was born to do but i hate these people who ill treat the dog there as to be a bond and trust for the dog to try its best for you i cant be doing with these lads on here who go and buy a dog and are selling it a week later atb troter

• Like 2