Who burns what?

we burn turf here. its free any amount of it and has great heat.

the only draw back is too much ash.

j,

How does that work? Is it as simple as it sounds?

sure is ss. you cut your turf in the summer, should be dry in two weeks, and bring it home.

we cut enough in one go to last two years. theirs a small amount of work to do,but not much.

Have just been reading about it through google, that's well interesting.

Did you not use logs or coal too or just peat/turf?

I'm just off out to dig up my neighbours garden while it's dark! :laugh:

just turf ss. logs and coal is expensive. talked to a mate last night he paid 1200 for a load of 10 foot logs.

about 30 ton.500kg of coal would be around 205 euro. it pays to burn just turf and we wont run out of it either.

j.

Sounds like other types of fuel are well expensive there then!!

Am going to buy a couple of bags of peat to try, just so I know what you're talking about :thumbs:

good luck with that. does anyone cut turf in your area.

j.

No mate, not that I can find on google, but there are firms who sell it mail order, not going to try and run it all the time, just fancy trying it, my mum was saying today that she remembers it being very smokey when used on a range?

Just curious is all :thumbs:

it can be smokey in a open top range if its a bit damp or a bit wet. but great in a stove or a open fire.

it also depends on the turf you have. the blacker it is the better it is.

j.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i burn tenners in mine,well it f*****g feels like that greedy scottish power lol wish i had a log fire

"During the war .........................."                                                                                         Gonetoearth sitting wa

I hear you are using bridges? lol

Posted Images

we burn turf here. its free any amount of it and has great heat.

the only draw back is too much ash.

j,

How does that work? Is it as simple as it sounds?

sure is ss. you cut your turf in the summer, should be dry in two weeks, and bring it home.

we cut enough in one go to last two years. theirs a small amount of work to do,but not much.

Have just been reading about it through google, that's well interesting.

Did you not use logs or coal too or just peat/turf?

I'm just off out to dig up my neighbours garden while it's dark! :laugh:

just turf ss. logs and coal is expensive. talked to a mate last night he paid 1200 for a load of 10 foot logs.

about 30 ton.500kg of coal would be around 205 euro. it pays to burn just turf and we wont run out of it either.

j.

Sounds like other types of fuel are well expensive there then!!

Am going to buy a couple of bags of peat to try, just so I know what you're talking about :thumbs:

good luck with that. does anyone cut turf in your area.

j.

No mate, not that I can find on google, but there are firms who sell it mail order, not going to try and run it all the time, just fancy trying it, my mum was saying today that she remembers it being very smokey when used on a range?

Just curious is all :thumbs:

google peat not turf i get it [bANNED TEXT] up north slow burn

well just got mine but a lad i no dose log for a bit of beer money ... so i gave him the £260 for him to get a new log spliter and he is going to drop off as and when so happy days the coa shed as bin full since summer lol .............

this is a good poem for wood burners and multi stoves ..........

Beechwood fires are bright and clear

If the logs are kept a year,

Chestnut's only good they say,

If for logs 'tis laid away.

Make a fire of Elder tree,

Death within your house will be;

But ash new or ash old,

Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast

Blaze up bright and do not last,

it is by the Irish said

Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.

Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,

E'en the very flames are cold

But ash green or ash brown

Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,

Fills your eyes and makes you choke,

Apple wood will scent your room

Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom

Oaken logs, if dry and old

keep away the winter's cold

But ash wet or ash dry

a king shall warm his slippers by.

Made some inquiries into peat. It does out burn house coal, however many users have said it does not keep the same heat.

I can get 24 bales per block at £6.00 each. Each block weighing 12.5kg for £80.

is that peat briqittes your on about artic.

j.

Made some inquiries into peat. It does out burn house coal, however many users have said it does not keep the same heat.

j.

Yes Jetro. Do you find the heat is better than smokeless and stays?

j.

peat briqittes is not the same as turf. briqittes are made in a factory out of peat dust.

there is good heat from them but they dont last long at all.

we burn little or no coal here. but i find the smokeless gives off better heat and lasts longer.

j.

j.

peat briqittes is not the same as turf. briqittes are made in a factory out of peat dust.

there is good heat from them but they dont last long at all.

we burn little or no coal here. but i find the smokeless gives off better heat and lasts longer.

j.

Better off with coal then for overnight burning.

mum has got a clearview stove in the front room, and a little victorian bedroom fire in the living room. she burns a mix of coal & wood, coal at the bottom to keep it going, logs on top. it does make the glass on the clearview not very clear though! dad scrubs it with a sponge scourer covered in god-knows-what, and he's scratched the glass to buggery! i found vinegar & newspaper does the job beautifully without damaging the glass. :thumbs: but dad knows best... :laugh:

since the back boiler on the stove cracked they've just been leaving all the doors open, and it heats the house better than when the radiators where going!

the little fire heats the living room well, but there is a bit of a draught up through the floorboards. when i get a bit of time i'm going to knock up a little system to draw the air straight in from outside via the air brick. should sort that out.

wood-wise, they burn anything they can get their hands on. used to be bits of furniture when dad could get a good supply of free stuff from the auction house he works for. but that's no longer available, so it's mainly well-seasoned wood harvested from the trees round the garden, ash, sycamore, whatever needs a prune. had all the bloody great big lleylandii's cut down 4 years ago, still burning some of that.

i've just moved into a new flat in the village, first time in my life i've had central heating, with thermostats & timers & stuff! air-source heat pump, it's a bit swish. but it's electric, i'm not keen on that. mainly because i have to pay for it! and it took me 2 hours to work out how to turn it on, set it up, and work out why the radiators weren't getting hot...

My last place had a little woodburner, and i had a constant supply of pallets from the factory i worked at, so i burnt them. but the went up pretty quick, i had to sit next to the fire chucking a lump in every twenty minutes. nearly burnt the kitten, stupid thing would try to climb in. she's 5 now & still has no fear of fire, walked over a just-lit bonfire & burnt all the fur off her tail... only problem with that woodburner was that my dozy landlord didn't install the chimney properly, it was venting fumes back into the living room. i don't recommend slow carbon monoxide poisoning to anyone! :blink:

Edited by Ossie