Best guard dog ?

What do you guys think would be the best guard dog for protecting property / your home ?

I had a german shepherd as a kid, what a great dog, was a retired Police dog , was a cracking dog but the back legs went, I seem to see alot are prone to this nowm such a shame! Although I did see an all black GSD x Belgian Mal the other day and it was stunning :)

I do love a Rottweiler but I just can't get used to the look of them with a tail, just dont look right to me!

What would you guys choose ? I like mastiff's but doubt I'd have one as they seem too large and lumbersome and also very slobery lol!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

never trust a man saying he's a professional and cannot spell it.....?????????????   easy to leave the odd letter out isn't it....       Snap.

just pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones mate.....   Although no mallice is intended on my behalf,   The minute you think you got the world sussed it has a way of

doesn't matter when you're just cockin about on a forum though does it

Posted Images

i also like rotty's but ive been brought up with german shepherds all my life. my dad has trained boxers and GSD's for pretection for years. now he just has 2 GSD's but the back legs are going in the biggest on. they have proved their worth on many occasions, potecting the house and the smaller one also bit and pinned a guy who came to my dads house(in the middle of nowhere) with an air rifle and started shouting the odds. th bigger one was from the police as he failed the entry tests or some shite like that. very good dogs, getting old now and you can tell but they were some machine in their prime.

post-62949-0-13316400-1318920549.jpg

post-62949-0-55275500-1318920587.jpg

post-62949-0-28043400-1318920625.jpg

What does it matter if a Rottweilers got a tail or not if its to protect your home.....the fact a dog might be " stunning " as you say is not going to impress a potential burglar.

Id say invest in a decent security system,then go out and get a dog you think looks nice..................everyones a winner :thumbs:

What do you guys think would be the best guard dog for protecting property / your home ?

I had a german shepherd as a kid, what a great dog, was a retired Police dog , was a cracking dog but the back legs went, I seem to see alot are prone to this nowm such a shame! Although I did see an all black GSD x Belgian Mal the other day and it was stunning :)

I do love a Rottweiler but I just can't get used to the look of them with a tail, just dont look right to me!

What would you guys choose ? I like mastiff's but doubt I'd have one as they seem too large and lumbersome and also very slobery lol!

if that means so much to you import one from Europe?

Or Ireland?

Or Ireland?

yes mate irelands in europe :laugh::thumbs:

i like rottys with tails

australian cattle dogs are good

decent shepherd

some american bulldogs are ok.

also theres the akita havent met one yet thats not unhinged

hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

depends on what you want it to do.

I took my dog out with my dad and his two dogs the other day, one of my dads mates came along with his big male Akita and he just let it come over to us.....my dads little fart of a mongrel started growling at it and it just backed off and started playing about with my dog.....crackin dog it was, not a pup either, I think he said it was 4. First time I've ever seen an Akita with a decent temprament.....I shat myself when my dads dog started growling, it was twice the weight of all three of our dogs combined!! Most Akitas I've seen are an absolute pain in the ass with other dogs though.

Sush a loose term, many dogs will make a noise and warn off intruders but very very few will actually properly protect the home and family with tenacity, inteligence and bottle but also be a sociable and suitable pet. Getting a dog that will do it for real and mean it are as valuable and special as the 100% real deal digging dogs, the 6/6 fen dogs etc. As an all round dog i have said it before and will say it again, NOTHING compares to a WELL BREED GSD import...........

post-1118-0-32054700-1318938338.jpg

post-1118-0-44490800-1318938365_thumb.jpg