Trapping...what's the point?

I'm not going to slag off what other people do, but I was just wondering what the appeal of trapping was?

Obviously, like hunting and shooting it has its place for pest control etc. but with hunting with dogs you have the appeal of watching a dog you've put time and effort into getting fit and training goes full flight or working hard above or below ground to catch your quarry. With ferreting, again you have an animal you've got fit and ready and your working alongside it (and your dog) to catch rabbits. With guns, you need to get into place etc. to have a shot accurate enough to hit your prey and to kill with a clean shot.

But with trapping.....aren't you just sticking a trap down and then going back later and finding something either dead, or trapped alive. Where's the appeal in that? Sorry if I'm pissing people off, I honestly don't mean to. I'm just curious.............as you'll no doubt be able to tell, I know sod all about trapping, so enlighten me!

yea agree with john.its not just as easy as plonking a trap down,much to my dissapointment lol

the guy who got me into hunting as a kid,was trully amazing at making and setting traps.he sat one day and carved out a figure of four trap.and set it up with a large rock.next day he had caught a stoat.he is a keeper now on the isle of lewis.but back in those days he was a serious poacher,and very clever.total areshole with a drink on him though lol

yea agree with john.its not just as easy as plonking a trap down,much to my dissapointment lol

the guy who got me into hunting as a kid,was trully amazing at making and setting traps.he sat one day and carved out a figure of four trap.and set it up with a large rock.next day he had caught a stoat.he is a keeper now on the isle of lewis.but back in those days he was a serious poacher,and very clever.total areshole with a drink on him though lol

just looked up that figure of four trap, never heard of it before. Lovin that, proper old school!

As has been said, there's an art to trapping. :yes: Far more involved to it than just plonking a trap down and hoping for the best.

When I was younger, I used to love setting a few snares along the fences & runs with my dad, then going check them at first light. We never had a high catch rate, but some who really know what they're doing get plenty.

It's about pitting your superior intellect ( :rofl: ) against the natural survival instinct of the target critter.

What I don't get is digging foxes. Ok you've got the working terrier doing it's job and pest control but how is digging a big hole fun? Sounds like bloody hard work to me.

I'm not going to slag off what other people do, but I was just wondering what the appeal of trapping was?

Obviously, like hunting and shooting it has its place for pest control etc. but with hunting with dogs you have the appeal of watching a dog you've put time and effort into getting fit and training goes full flight or working hard above or below ground to catch your quarry. With ferreting, again you have an animal you've got fit and ready and your working alongside it (and your dog) to catch rabbits. With guns, you need to get into place etc. to have a shot accurate enough to hit your prey and to kill with a clean shot.

But with trapping.....aren't you just sticking a trap down and then going back later and finding something either dead, or trapped alive. Where's the appeal in that? Sorry if I'm pissing people off, I honestly don't mean to. I'm just curious.............as you'll no doubt be able to tell, I know sod all about trapping, so enlighten me!

Its simple really........................................

Its nothing to do with "appeal or anything else" its simply to kill vermin that need killing. Traps work 24/7.

It isn't a sport, its a means to an end. Which may then give you some sport, or allow you to make an honest living, because your livestock comes to no harm.

Its always a good feeling though when you approach your trap, and you have caught your target prey.

Same priciple with live trapping, but this allows you to do different things with the prisoner! i.e. release, kill, keep fresh etc

FUNNY THING ABOUT DOG LADS NOWADAYS ..... THEY ALL THINK THEY NEED A DOG TO CATCH GAME

YET THE HANDFUL OF REAL DEAL POACHERS IVE MET THROUGHOUT MY LIFE NEVER USED A LURCHER ...........,

NETS , SNARES , GUNS , CATTYS AND SOME ......AN OLD NON DESCRIPT CUR TYPE MONGROL WERE ALWAYS PAR FOR THE COURSE , THESE FELLAS TOOK IN SOME CASES MORE GAME THAN THE MAJORITY COULD BELIEVE

AND NOT A LAMP BETWEEN THEM .........

DUCKWING