Trapping...what's the point?

FUNNY THING ABOUT DOG LADS NOWADAYS ..... THEY ALL THINK THEY NEED A DOG TO CATCH GAME

YET THE HANDFUL OF REAL DEAL POACHERS IVE MET THROUGHOUT MY LIFE NEVER USED A LURCHER ...........,

NETS , SNARES , GUNS , CATTYS AND SOME ......AN OLD NON DESCRIPT CUR TYPE MONGROL WERE ALWAYS PAR FOR THE COURSE , THESE FELLAS TOOK IN SOME CASES MORE GAME THAN THE MAJORITY COULD BELIEVE

AND NOT A LAMP BETWEEN THEM .........

DUCKWING

I wasn't saying you need a dog (or ferret, or gun) to catch game, I was asking about what's appealing about trapping.....obviously it's effective for pest control, but I was wondering what other appeal it has. And now I have more of an idea. :thumbs:

you go to a farm for permission and whatever they want you can do it .

Traps snares are working twenty four seven and if you have them at one farm you can be ferreting ,shooting at another place and just check them on your way home . It takes a bit of time to set them but after that your just checking them removing the catch till its time to lift them .

Horses for courses, people like different things in life, yes I'd agree dogs are more sporting also ferreting to gun or dog, using nets when ferreting isn't sporting, its about killing whatever is in there.... trapping and snaring is an age old art, used long before dog, ferret or gun were even thought of, and probably one of the most efficient means of controlling a pest. likes been said, some do it as a means to an end to control something either as a landowner or professional level, others enjoy just getting out there and reading the signs, and catching something with the bare essentials. Its good to see a bag full of game where other methods wouldn't have got above single figures.. Whats the appeal? Well with snaring for me reading the signs, knowing the land and your quarry, its habits and mannerisms, and successfully having a perfect catch, with the benefits of taking in the countryside around you.

• 1 month later...

yea agree with john.its not just as easy as plonking a trap down,much to my dissapointment lol

the guy who got me into hunting as a kid,was trully amazing at making and setting traps.he sat one day and carved out a figure of four trap.and set it up with a large rock.next day he had caught a stoat.he is a keeper now on the isle of lewis.but back in those days he was a serious poacher,and very clever.total areshole with a drink on him though lol

Who would that be mate might know by name or know him?

cheers Callum

Couple of points to think about:

1) Time, it's not economic to sit around all day trying to shoot rats, when a trap will work 24/7. Same goes for foxes etc etc.

2) Very little environmental impact, traps do not leave "chemicals" in the environment.

3) Target specific

4) Humane

5) Enables catch and release type operations, where you can release non-target species

6) You can remove the dead bodies with ease.

7) less invasive and more safe that other methods of vermin control.

Just few.

John