dispatching bunnies

I tend to hold the rabbit in the left hand & put the back of the rabbit's head firmly between my index and middle finger so that the back of the rabbit's head is nestled in my right palm. Then I hold the rabbit firmly with the left while I sort of do the same action as twisting a motorbike throttle with the right which pulls the head away & back at the same time. I find my knuckles sort of lever off the rabbit's shoulders just enough to dislocate the neck and kill the rabbit.

I think it's the same sort of effect as some lads are describing here as chinning, but the other way around... :hmm:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never liked the chop, seen too many 'bouncing' bunnys, missed shots and swolen hands! Never for rabbits in numbers. Chinning all the way..

i dispatch mine by taikng them out of the net holding the back legs and giving them a chop behind the neck this works for me.

Stretch the neck everytime., don't like to see chopping.

When I was a kid I used to chop, but as soon as I learnt how to stretch their necks I never chopped again! lol. I've never encountered a situation where it was necessary. Any sort of blunt force traumer causes bruising and if you're a 'head chopper' then surely you're gonna feck ya hand up? You only ever have to stretch the neck once but often more than one chop is needed. Theres just no need at all imo.

I've never mastered chinning but equally never found it necessary so never bothered.

One thing I have started doing which I have found bloody usefull is stretching their necks one handed by literally whiping them downwards while holding the rabbits head (difficult to explain). I have found it to be 100 successfull and in situation where numerous rabbits bolt or you have your other hand occupied this method makes life alot easier. Perhaps a bit brutal to an observer but I can assure anyone that it is just as quick as any other method and leaves a carcass equally as clean.

Edited by Born Hunter

'Born Hunter' timestamp='1315748471' post='2235702']

When I was a kid I used to chop, but as soon as I learnt how to stretch their necks I never chopped again! lol. I've never encountered a situation where it was necessary. Any sort of blunt force traumer causes bruising and if you're a 'head chopper' then surely you're gonna feck ya hand up? You only ever have to stretch the neck once but often more than one chop is needed. Theres just no need at all imo.

I've never mastered chinning but equally never found it necessary so never bothered.

One thing I have started doing which I have found bloody usefull is stretching their necks one handed by literally whiping them downwards while honding the rabbits head (difficult to explain). I have found it to be 100 successfull and in situation where numerous rabbits bolt or you have your other hand occupied this method makes life alot easier. Perhaps a bit brutal to an observer but I can assure anyone that it is just as quick as any other method and leaves a carcass equally as clean.

Aye as you say with numerous bolts or your hands are full its just as good a method there own weight breaks there necks

Yep, once you have mastered how much force to use with the 'whip' its a piece of piss. I've even done the same with hares, its a bigger animal but with this method that counts in your favour (more body weight to break the neck). Very usefull for a lone ferreter/lamper/shooter.

When I take them out a purse net I have the back legs in my right hand, with your left hand, put it round the rabbits neck I just use my thumb and fourth fingers,slightly raise the head up, and give a nice pull, job done,

When I used to net at night alone, I would chin them.

Ideation I only mentioned the DVD A Fistful of ferrets as it shows the above two methods being done successfully.

If Iam in a hurry to get another purse net on, I always have one spare round my neck I chin them.

i chin then neck i like to make sure its done quick and proper and ive never had any rabbits jumping about after infact hardly any movement at all. dont like the chop as i think its to easy to miss the correct spot and can cause unnecessary suffering and i think it looks awful to any on lookers but if your more confident at chopping than chinning or necking then your probably better sticking to that

Not sure about chinning or chopping but I don't really want to have a rabbit kicking, scratching, or chomping me. It's fair to say that I don't do a whole lot of netting these days but this is my method and has been for many years. It's fast, 100% effective, very little risk and above all very little can go wrong and it's quiet.

Grasp the rabbit by it's back legs in your right hand (if you are right handed, left if you are left handed). Rabbit, in hand and at ground level, put your left foot on the rabbits head, neck going under the arch of your foot if you see what I mean (obviously right foot if you are left handed). Pull the back legs up, whilst pressing down with your foot. The neck breaks clean and fast.

John

I too on occassion do this its effortless and works a treat.

If they're still in the net stamp on them............thats what I did with the 2 I caught.

The most I ever caught, in a 100yds longnet using the trditional method was 48 singlehanded and I chinned them quickly,

Flipping 'eck, that was a good catch!