Can it be done

i just cant see why a hare would be differant at night then in the day,but admitting i dont know a lot,

the hare runs as fast both night and day its back would be against the lamp runing away on big fields so cant be blinded

i have had alot what runs to the lamp bud thats how i get mine :D

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive seen a wild red that would be about as big as they come taken with two dogs on the edge of the new forest, i have also taken 15 outta 15 hares on the plains and quiet a few 10 outta 10 with the s

i heard his dad can stop a hare in full flight,with a well aimed brogue

i was there i saw both the pups in question take 19 hares between them,they missed maybe 6 each,but if you dont think it can be done,i am sure the owner of the pups would show you,or maybe yous could

Posted Images

imo it all comes down to the land your running them on and what time of year ,myself i dont think theres many dogs about that will get into double figures in the lamp on big 40-50 acre wheat fields back end of winter,but harvest hares i would say it could be done when they have been sitting in 3 foot of corn and you turn up when its just been cut ,then winter time when they have been on the move for food for a couple of months they turn into a different game imo,but i think its all to do with land and time of year but why wipe your sport out take a couple and away and they will always be there

preban ive had 7 hare and 15 bunnies plus roe buck in ome might with one dog so id say it is possible give right dog conditions ect the dog i was useing when i took this haul was a 23 inch lurcher lurcher cross looked nowt special the photo of this dog was in the then shooting news with his catch minus the roe as it wass given to keeper

i just cant see why a hare would be differant at night then in the day,but admitting i dont know a lot,

the hare runs as fast both night and day its back would be against the lamp runing away on big fields so cant be blinded

When I have seen it, they will twist and turn as normal sometimes coming back up the beam, my personal opinion is that they get disorientated rather than blinded when twisting and turning a lot, except when the ears go back and they make for the horizon.......then they aint stopping for anyone.

As above, they can run at anytime but especially in smaller fields when closer to the lamp can be a touch bewildered by the lamp, whatever the reason there is a difference between night and day

Edited by lapin2008

well i av bin in the game non stop for 30 year,, i av done 7 out 7 ,,and 6out 6, lampin, yes i cud of done more, but to have that with 2 dogs on the nite it wud be a bit of a special nite, yer it can be done, but i will say the feild was on the small size and grass,, wet winter wheat on big feilds in winter he wud not of done that number,, but this chap my av better dogs ,,,who knows...jim

I,v just been speaking to a fella on the phone , he tells me that ( pre ban ) he took 19 hares one night running two twelve month old dogs ( singly. ) Now leaving aside the rights and wrongs of lamping hares , my question is CAN IT BE DONE ?

I think it is probably possible ,why anyone would want to? Would be my question.

ile answer that question t ,,, "money",,, if your getting £4 - £5 per hare,, if you can catch 30 40 hares in a week,, its good money... rember the lads doing this 20 years ago were poaching,,and out of work in thatchers britain,, it wernt about sport. all the best mate. TOMO

I take your point mate. Have a good season

well i av bin in the game non stop for 30 year,, i av done 7 out 7 ,,and 6out 6, lampin, yes i cud of done more, but to have that with 2 dogs on the nite it wud be a bit of a special nite, yer it can be done, but i will say the feild was on the small size and grass,, wet winter wheat on big feilds in winter he wud not of done that number,, but this chap my av better dogs ,,,who knows...jim

Spot on that answer. totally down to the land, I have a spot which has a daft amount of hares on it, but the fields are huge arable (minimum 50acre) ones with the minimum shot distance of at least 80 plus yards. Although the numbers are there and some, there is no dog or couple of dogs that could have done that.

Other bits of land, longish wet grass, small fields and retrieving some hares is almost comparable to retrieved rabbit. The land I am talking about though just doesnt hold the same numbers for me to shoot. So it could never be done by myself with the land I have