79 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH ONE?

• Straw
    • Shreded paper.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

straw. i tried shredded paper, but it turned to mush in the runs. my dad uses sawdust in the hutch & run, with a layer of straw on top in the hutch for his ferrets. i left him looking after 2 of mine when i went away for a few days, he decided to clean them out, and bedded them on sawdust. i came home to two very scabby, balding ferrets, seems like they're allergic to sawdust!

I have always used quality white shavings throughout the entire hutch, with a generous handful of clean wheat straw in the bedding compartment. I have used shredded paper and hay but find that straw seems to work best - they can make a good nest in it. I would be wary of using long strangling lengths of shredded paper or hay in with a jill about to have a litter of kits too for obvious reasons.

OTC

i always use hay in the house and wood shavings in the run

summer and winter never had a prob with ticks or when its whelping time

iv tryed paper but could never get on with it. seem to make a mess all over the place

i use the same in the dog runs and houses

i keep a few ponies about the place and run a few on the forest so never short of hay but i did pick up a terrier from wales and it was allergic to hay and wood shavings so sold it a bit Quick :laugh: :whistle:

Layer of sawdust shavings as the base for the bed area, then either straw or hay as bedding........never had problems. You've got more chance of getting ticks when rabbiting. To stay 100% tick free, spray of frontline and don't work them :laugh: