RECALL WHILST COURSING

A few weeks backs while on a mooch my own two ( sal/grey and collie type ) spotted some deer and started to make chase until I gave them a sharp NO,mid afternoon and close to a road,If I hadn,t been on the baw and stopped them before they were Committed I would,ve had no chance getting them back and may have caused myself alot of grief,if you catch them quick enough it is possible to stop them :thumbs:

In your dreams pal...... my gate only sways one way :kiss:

As for the question..... Deer yes, I can call them off, considering I'm surrounded with red deer, this ain't a bad f*****g thing...... as for other quarry, not a hope in hell.

• 11 years later...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be worried about the commitment of a dog that could be called off mid-course, but some people say they can do it.   Cheers.

I have never seen it done and would question the dogs commitment.I thought dogs that could be called off wile in hot pursuite only exsisted in plummer books.

Let it kill summat and when it’s crouched , put it back on the lead. Repeat . It will soon catch on 

Hi all

I wonder if any of you could help me.  I have taken on a lurcher, previously used for coursing.

He is such a loving dog, but doesn’t listen to any of my commands.  I was wondering what you guys use to recall your dogs?  To get them to stay and anything else that might be helpful.

Thank you in advanced

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Gigi said:

Hi all

I wonder if any of you could help me.  I have taken on a lurcher, previously used for coursing.

He is such a loving dog, but doesn’t listen to any of my commands.  I was wondering what you guys use to recall your dogs?  To get them to stay and anything else that might be helpful.

Thank you in advanced

Let it kill summat and when it’s crouched , put it back on the lead. Repeat . It will soon catch on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Gigi said:

Hi all

Thank you in advanced

don't listen to any advice given by mchull. ...he can't get his dogs on a lead either 

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Gigi said:

Hi all

Thank you in advanced

The Grebmeister  :hmm:

• Haha 1

I've just had a bitch put down at 14 and a half. She was incredibly obedient. I only fell out with her once, when she was about 4 month old. She was eating some offal she had found on the tideline and I bollocked her and she came away. I turned my back and she doubled back and began to greedily tuck in to the shite she had discovered. I bollocked her again and gave her scruff a shake. No bullshit,  from that moment on she was totally 100% obedient ....until she scented or saw a hare. Then she went apeshit. 

Just a few weeks back, when she very unsteady on her feet and wrapped up in a fleece coat, she ran a hare, despite me roaring at her to return. Eventually I caught up with her. She was lay down in field totally knackered. I had to carry her back to the car.

Imo a running dog which can be called off is overtrained.. as in scared stiff of it's owner, or it isn't totally committed.

Edited by jukel123