could the lurcher

You sometimes see a labrador with a touch of greyhound in it just to give it that extra pace, but they still have a soft mouth.

but that begs the question why would you want a gun dog with extra pace as presumably they are all ready bred right for the job,or are they,dont know iv lost myself now :hmm:

Would this not technicaly be a lurcher ?????

ATB

have heard of a few of this type over the years but they certainly not common,i asked about gry/lab long time ago but people were very negative prob due to the likely litter waistage,to heavy

I recon your right mate but would be interesting to see what a light weight long dog say Saluki x Greyhound first cross and one of the lighter weight field trial labs would throw.

I cant see any reason why they wouldn't make good ferreting and bushing/mooching dogs and even tidy lampers if they threw light enough.

ATB

thats what i thought at the time,lot of gun dogs naturaly retrieve i think and what with being soft mouthed may well produce a lucher with nice tight feet as well good attributes to have i reckon

Have to try it mate...Maybe end up being the new Hancock LOL ;)

ATB

shit you said his name,oh well to late now here we go again :doh::D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Lurcher will do a gundogs job better than a gundog can do a Lurchers job !..... But a Lurcher will never be better than a gundog at a gundogs job !! Hope that makes sense !! LOL !!   Cheers.

cannae imagine 12 lined up toffy nosed snobs standing at pegs wae a skinny lurcher at each a theyr feets

I say, how rude *what,what,what* my father lord Charles-Montgomery Harrington III could buy and sell the "lurcher" section *what,what,what*

Posted Images

You sometimes see a labrador with a touch of greyhound in it just to give it that extra pace, but they still have a soft mouth.

but that begs the question why would you want a gun dog with extra pace as presumably they are all ready bred right for the job,or are they,dont know iv lost myself now :hmm:

ATB

have heard of a few of this type over the years but they certainly not common,i asked about gry/lab long time ago but people were very negative prob due to the likely litter waistage,to heavy

I recon your right mate but would be interesting to see what a light weight long dog say Saluki x Greyhound first cross and one of the lighter weight field trial labs would throw.

I cant see any reason why they wouldn't make good ferreting and bushing/mooching dogs and even tidy lampers if they threw light enough.

ATB

But why would you want to breed a "good" ferreting dog, or a "tidy" lamper from unproven stock, when it is easier to go to good,proven stock ?? How many of the pups from these experimental breedings end up in the pound or passed around from waister to waister ?? Lab x Greys have, (and will continue to) been bred, but by and large, they are useless !!

Cheers

PS, someone will come on and say how good their Lab X Grey is, but don't believe them !!

not wanting kennels full of breed specific dogs i use my lurchers for everything including retriving shot game, even in water, in the pigeon hide and rough shooting i expect them to bush and retrieve. i admit they havent the style of a spaniel or a lab but the do the job to the standard i require and forefill all that a lurcher should do aswell. they cost nowhere near a gundog to buy and in most cases are easier to train and tend to have a longer working life. i have no inclination to field trial or pay to shoot driven game so in short why would i want a one track pony of a gundog?

as mine are to,well nearly lol,but it was a general question i suppose not personel requirement if you know what i mean :thumbs:

most gundogs are purchased as a shooting accessary buy those who have to keep up with the set

That's a bit of a strong, generalised statement.. :yes: I was brought up around proper working spaniels, my dad was into shotguns. Don't for a second think that all shotgun enthusiasts are rich attendees of driven shoots..:no: We were piss poor, and the most I can remember my dad paying for a springer pup was £35.. :thumbs:

No mate, although an all rounder is great, i dont think you can have a dog that is purpose bred and trained for a specific job. Until you see very good gundogs working (and i dont mean retrieving shot birds in a field from a gun line. . . .but WORKING) then you dont appreciate how purpose bred they are with regards to size, shape, build, mentality etc. You do see a lot of shit gun dogs now tho, fat labs. A good lab, looks in build closer to a greyhound than a fat lab, long legged, muscled, with a tucked waist.

sounds like my fella's choc lab pup, was starting to wonder if she had pointer or visla in her

Is it just me that is uncomfortable about all this gun talk in the lurcher section??? I hate shooters me.... :tongue2:

I say, how rude *what,what,what* my father lord Charles-Montgomery Harrington III could buy and sell the "lurcher" section *what,what,what*

• Like 1

ATB

ATB

Theres a quite well known lab x grey which (I think) is called Ben the Wonderdog. It does lamping, ferreting, bushing, retrieving and all sorts. (Name may be wrong) :blink:

yeah its ben the wonder dog, i think it could be the warreners dog mate :thumbs:

ATB

ATB

Theres a quite well known lab x grey which (I think) is called Ben the Wonderdog. It does lamping, ferreting, bushing, retrieving and all sorts. (Name may be wrong) :blink:

yeah its ben the wonder dog, i think it could be the warreners dog mate :thumbs:

I think the warrener is too modest to call his dog ben the wonder dog :icon_eek::tongue2:

ATB

litter wastage no such thingin any type they will all catch bunnies lamp mooch and do what alurcher his all about putting flesh on the table now if one ascosiates a lurcher has damn nigh a greyhound well thats a sad second to a real lurcher dog .have owned lab crosses and in most cases theyre has good has any base first crosses and in most better.

As well as lamping with Tess, I also take her Beating and picking-up on the local Pheasant shoot and also working with the air rifle. She has a pretty good retrieve and I enter her in the gundog trials at the local game fairs where she does ok but I would never expect her to be as good as or better than a true gundog.

IMO the biggest difference you'll probably find between Lurcher's and working gundog's is that they will be a lot harder work to get to a decent standard. A decent Lurcher will only make an average gundog.

I'm sure a Lurcher with a decent dose of Collie could be trained to a very high standard of obedience but as with most Lurcher's they've been bred for a high prey drive which is fairly counter productive to obedience! so if a Rabbit, fox or deer breaks cover through the wood you'll be in a heap of trouble with a keeper when your Lurcher runs the length of the wood chasing it.

I had to explain this to the Keeper and had them shout out if Deer were spotted and Tess was put straight back on a lead (fine on a small farmers shoot but not feasable on a large estate shoot).

Also a gundog can 'cold scent' (pick up a scent left by the quarry a while ago).

The average Lurcher will only be able to follow a scent a few hours old but will struggle with cold scenting (except maybe the pointer crosses etc.)

sorry no if you put the time in,

obedience can control chasing instinct.

when i first had my german shepherd x lurcher i could whistle her off fallow deer when 6 months old,

when my then wife was ill and eventually when the marriage broke down an i got out less with her then the prey drive took over and then she was harder to control an took longer to respond.

at the end of the day get the training in and spend time with the pup and yoou will reap the rewards theres plenty people on here with salukis and crosses that have trained them to a decent standard.