UK has TOP dogs, and GREAT hunting!

Before I moved to Europe from Australia last year, I was worried about leaving behind the great outdoors, and great hunting, and living in an overcrowded place with no freedom to hunt and escape work. But I shouldnt have worried too much! I started off in Sussex and after a lot of walking found a great variety of wildlife. I eventually got to know various people in the area, and managed to tag along on a few hunting trips, mainly with rifle and shotgun for small game. I missed pigging with the dogs and this was never more apparent than when we saw Wild Boar crashing through the blackberry. I longed to chase them, and was often rebuked when I made this apparent to my hunting friends!! haha

I eventually met a lad walking down the street not 5 minutes from my house, with a pair of big running dogs that looked so impressive that I literally ran over and asked him if he hunted them... he never gave a straight 'yes' but instead asked if I hunted, I replied a YES, and it went from there... I was lucky enough to be invited out rabbiting and the rest is history!

Since then ive been out with him many times, and also met a few of his friends, I have seen their various dogs used to their best. And these lads rely on their dogs to bring in the meat on a regular basis. I was astonished to see man and dog so keen on the hunt, and men who know exactly how to get the meat on the table, using each different area to their advantage, never over-complicating things. Ive seen Bully lurchers in the UK now that have blown my mind, and I thought Id seen great dogs in many countries.

Thankyou MATT, STEVIE, HALTY, BINGO. :thumbs: I will see you all again soon.

Work then shifted me up North, to a different land, with different hunting challenges, and different game, but one thing in common, great dogs, and great dog lads! I was given a lads number, Mike was his name, I organised a meet up and I was soon out walking a Forest plantation as part of a small team of 3 lads and 5 dogs, listening for any dogs that were to 'sound' when on scent. On reaching the point of the plantation, we stopped and waited, a keen dog standing calmly at our feet, alert to sight and sound... we stared into the mist and silence was broken with the sound of a few shrill barks. Suddenly, our calm lurcher was straining on the rope, a shiver going through her rock hard muscles, we squatted as something came in our direction... the dog was released.....the young bitch made a good start to the day. And later on as darkness was falling in an eerie mist filled valley, she was again successful. A big Bully lurcher, was out hunting in the afternoon with the other dogs, a powerful animal, with an impressive pressence to him, a steady dog that knew what he wanted, and that was catching game!! I enquired about him, and if I could see more of him, I was invited out and got to see this amazing dog in action, and after a visit to Sussex last week seeing this dog stop BIG stuff left me dreaming, he was probably the greatest dog ive seen, with brains, doubtless courage, cunning, and strength. Ive seen pictures of him with dozens of partridge chicks jumping all over him as he snoozed, a small kid sat on his back, but you let this dog into a Tiger, and he would go straight into it I have no doubt!!.. it came as an utter shock to hear he was semi retired and may soon be put to sleep!!! I was so taken with him I offered a home to him, but Mike said, he would be no good to run soon, suffering irrepairable damage last year and he would only benifit us if we used him over our bitches. I will keep at you mike haha, he is worth his weight in gold, even if he sits in front of the fire for the rest of his days!!!

Well, Ive had a fantastic time over here, and dont want to leave! Many many thanks to all of those who allowed me join them, and I now count as good, honest mates, and top dog men. :notworthy:

All the best

Tusker

• Like 8

I feel honored, lucky and extremely grateful to both my new friends, their great dogs and the varied and chalenging hunting ive seen so far! Much more to look forward to in the future, so I couldnt be happier.

Thanks for the great comments.

All the best

Tusker :thumbs: