• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.y

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused. They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valubl

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs. Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog

I have been offered a set of antique tongs and have no idea what they are worth any ideas anyone.

cheers nuthatch

I think they are illegal to own under the present laws.

Be careful of the people offering them to you.

As for there worth, they were a useful tool just like a mattock or shovel.(pre ban)

If you did not have a strong dog at the dig, they were the cleanest way to hold and draw before tailing.

Like all tools they could be overused.

Blacksmiths would make a pair of tongs for a small sum. About £20-£25 back in the 70's if my memory is correct.

I cannot imagine that there value would be great today.

They were similar to tongs used by them in there work but had pointed ends on the handles

and a ring that would slide up the handles to hold them shut.

The jaws had smooth serrations. I never saw skin broken by these.

The Anti's used the tongs as a symbol to sway the public.

ATB

I have been offered a set of antique tongs and have no idea what they are worth any ideas anyone.

cheers nuthatch

As for there worth, they were a useful tool just like a mattock or shovel.(pre ban)

If you did not have a strong dog at the dig, they were the cleanest way to hold and draw before tailing.

Blacksmiths would make a pair of tongs for a small sum. About £20-£25 back in the 70's if my memory is correct.

They were similar to tongs used by them in there work but had pointed ends on the handles

ATB

Thanks for the info fella's at least i am in the know now

regards Nuthatch

Some headcases on here :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ,who in the name of god would put

up pics of anyone using a set of tongs .Its illegal to even have them in your possession .Think first . :doh::doh:

If thats a go at me for putting a link up to pics of tongs being used you should read before you comment the pics are a historical account of badger digging on a badger preservation website the pics are already in the public domain and their for anyone to see including anti's and it says quite clearly that to be in possession of tongs is illegal :wallbash:

cheers nuthatch

ATB

Nice to see someone post who's talking from experience free from paranoia.

I believe they are still in use in different parts of the world. Im sure some see them as a regular tool to aid a swift clean end to proceedings so you can get onto the next place ;) I dare say theirs people about who have tonged just about as many as they have tailed. Am talking either historically or where the law is still not an ass regarding badgers.

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused.

They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valuble or well crafted. If you cant get on your belly and handle one you aint a terrierman, JMHO.

BUT, were they any crueler than those nooses on long poles that the SPCAs are so quick to use on so called dangerous dogs or wretched wounded foxes or badgers ?

• Like 2

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused.

They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valuble or well crafted. If you cant get on your belly and handle one you aint a terrierman, JMHO.

BUT, were they any crueler than those nooses on long poles that the SPCAs are so quick to use on so called dangerous dogs or wretched wounded foxes or badgers ?

no harm to you niel cooney,but reading your posts on bars a while back, now tongs, ASSHOLE

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself..These proper dog men could handle any quarry with their hands.Tongs I was told could remove the quarry cleanly and quickly and with little harm to it.What about the people long ago that kept draw dogs,wheatens/staffs etc,these were equivilent to a tongs.The difference being you didnt have to feed,walk or clean after the metal ones.I suppose the owners of heavy dogs were cowards too?

• Like 7

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself..These proper dog men could handle any quarry with their hands.Tongs I was told could remove the quarry cleanly and quickly and with little harm to it.What about the people long ago that kept draw dogs,wheatens/staffs etc,these were equivilent to a tongs.The difference being you didnt have to feed,walk or clean after the metal ones.I suppose the owners of heavy dogs were cowards too?

Well said jigsaw

Neill What else could you do back then?dig another hole or trench on?

Wait till he dives at the terrier and grab him??

Tell me?

Edited by Mustard.

utter nonsense Neil!!! pure horse shit from a man in the game so long....Mush