anyone got any old pics of them in use ?

yer right :doh: dont think many would post em up if they did ...

some one put up a link from a PUBLIC forum, :thumbs:

theres old pics of badgers being dug, hares being coursed, and deer being taken with dogs all over the tinternet, , i was asking for pre ban pics to try and widen my knowledge of how they was used, as i was curious, :thumbs:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.y

Years ago I seen them used regularly and nearly always by cowards. Used quickly they could be humane but they did tend to get over used and misused. They belong on the scrap heap no matter how valubl

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs. Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog

I would have thought the origins of the strong dog were in the field and that it was the trials that refined them, so on that thinking the original use of them was (in your opinion Neil) lads were afraid of getting bit?

"If testing a strongdog is the idea, then this is not the way."

Test test test, but what about just use for the job?

Always had a sporting interest in some of these dogs, the increase of silly owners is increasing at an alarming rate.

Where most of my hunting is done we cant use a firearm on a dig.

Edited by GD Waz

Nick,

IMO there are 3 ways a dig should finish up and the first one is if the quarry is to be killed then a firearm should be used. If the quarry is to be let run for another day then stand out of the way and let it run. If it refuses to run then you get in there and take him out with your paws.

IMO a tongs, lurcher or strongdog is messy. And I've used all 3 in the past.

If testing a strongdog is the idea, then this is not the way.

JMHO.

If your afraid of the heat, stay outta the kitchen.

Never used a tong, but this doesn't seem to need to be messy doesn't it? A tong has a rounding in the grip part what looks to be for grabbing the neck or something? It doesn't have a cutting part on it, so it seems it is not made to be messy. Reallity may be different.

Nick,

IMO there are 3 ways a dig should finish up and the first one is if the quarry is to be killed then a firearm should be used. If the quarry is to be let run for another day then stand out of the way and let it run. If it refuses to run then you get in there and take him out with your paws.

IMO a tongs, lurcher or strongdog is messy. And I've used all 3 in the past.

If testing a strongdog is the idea, then this is not the way.

JMHO.

If your afraid of the heat, stay outta the kitchen.

ever get bit neil?

Neil you have to differnciate between a strong dog and a game dog.A strong dog was used for the purpose of working in the field,wheatens/glens/kerry blues(I just threw them in for the laugh :laugh: )were never meant for anything else than field work/farm work/vermin destruction.I would not consider using a lurcher at the end of a dig UNLESS the quarry were to be killed,the damage they do to the quarry is extensive and since we let everything we dig run on unless requested to do so we dont have use for such a dog.I did have one many years ago but decided it was not for me.What the hell is messy with a tongs,it grips the animal about its neck area and with a tug hes out,like a cork out of a bottle,then the ould fellas told me they tailed him and released the quarry in any place they wanted to.Tongs were used Im told long before the trials were about.I worked a bull bitch for many a year ,I SIR AM NOT A COWARD :laugh: ANNOYING .....YES (so ive been told).Your dancing days are at a standstill Neill I see,lol.You do seem to draw your own conclusions to matters and fail to see others perspectives on issues.If we all looked on things as you do then the working heavy dog would be a thing of the past,wheatens,and glens would be nothing more that show shite,what would a lot of the wheaten/greyhound lurcher fans do,I would think when badgrs were game ball to dig a tongs would have had its uses in the field,fast,controlled and virtually painless but we'll just have to guess now,LIam Delaney you have me sussed :laugh: I can never show my face in a green field again.

Edited by jigsaw

anyone got any old pics of them in use ?

dont think its a good idea to post up pics of that :icon_eek: ,most lads just use their hands anyway.Jesus if you expect your terrier to work your quarry the least you can do is remove it yourself at the end of a dig

over the years ive met many a man that used tongs and none of them were COWARDS,they know more about dogs and working them than most.Neil I find that statement of yours rather silly and condesending.you obviously have a very high opinion of yourself..These proper dog men could handle any quarry with their hands.Tongs I was told could remove the quarry cleanly and quickly and with little harm to it.What about the people long ago that kept draw dogs,wheatens/staffs etc,these were equivilent to a tongs.The difference being you didnt have to feed,walk or clean after the metal ones.I suppose the owners of heavy dogs were cowards too?

No Jigsaw the owners of strongdogs were just that, the owners of strongdogs.

Anyone who keeps strongdogs and thinks that the end of a dig is the way to work them is fooling themselves. If a strongdog is needed practicaly at the end of a dig then you must question how good is the terrier you've just dug to.

Think about it ? What was a tongs for ? It was for holding an animal at the end of a dig so that the handler wouldn't be bitten. Simple as that. There's no other answer.

Use a terrier that gets you close to your quarry and learn how to handle it.

No dissrespect to any old timer, they knew no better. Time to move on.

If a strongdog is needed practicaly at the end of a dig then you must question how good is the terrier you've just dug to...................you said you have used strong dogs before neill so did you question how good the terriers you were digging to were????????? Edited by scent

It's well for you Jigsaw. I'm at home with an injured knee and can't get out for a hunt, that's why I've been on here so much lately LOL.

I hope you have a good one.

The trials were a different scenario than a day in the field and there's not many who appreciate a strong dog as much as me.

But truth is that most lads who used tongs or a dog for drawing were/are afraid to handle game. I wont say strongdogs because nowadays it seems to be lurchers that get used. Again this is because lads are afraid of getting bitten.

JMHO.

COULDENT AGREE MORE :clapper::clapper:

The tool we used was never for around the quarries neck.

Once you broke through the tube in front of the terrier was blocked with the spade and the sounder was removed and tied up.

If strong dogs were at the dig, they drew the quarry out of the tube into the "trench".

First some idea of this trench (not trenching). It was perpendicular to the tube, you had used the T-bar to establish this.

The first probe had located exactly were the terrier was in the earth.

The second probe was 3/4 feet behind the terrier to establish the direction of the tube.

The trench was started, (sod removed and placed to one side),5 feet x 3 feet perpendicular to the tube at the first probe.

Mattock and shovel were used to clear out the trench. You needed 5 feet minimum to swing the mattock as you went down

Spoil was placed on the lower slope on top of the second probe. (you would not be digging here again.)

At 1 foot to go to reach the terrier the trench was lowered on both sides of the tube.

When you opened the soil was pulled back into the sides. (this ensured that the trench bottom was flat.)

The trench sides were kept as straight as possible. You would need all of the 5 feet x 3 feet for what came next.

The strong dog drew the game into the trench. This placed the dog on one of end of the trench and the quarry's tail out of the tube.

The dog was choked off (the spade was placed under the dogs lower jaw to save your hand when the dog released and the games head could move again)

and quarry could be lifted out by the tail onto the sod and placed in the sack. (the old canvas post office bags were best, a dogs collar riveted the the top as a closure.)

If there was no strong dog present you were left with a choice,

1. Use the T-bar and probe behind the quarry to make it bolt. catch it by the tail as it passed!!

(Never saw anyone try this, I could see the quarry whip around and have a grip on your hand as a given!)

2. Use a tongs to scruff the quarry by the skin behind the head and draw it into the trench. tail and bag it as above.

3. Go down on all fours in the trench and stare up the tube to a striped head staring back. Quick as you can grab it by the snout and draw it out :laugh:

The tongs would be in use for all of 1 or 2 minutes. Thats why the handles were pointed, it was stood stuck in the sod for all of the dig.

This was how we did it (pre ban).

How did anyone else see it happen?

ATB.

Edited by p3d

As Mudd Dog said the real terrier men used them if they were going to be handling a lot in a few hours.The f*****g idiots brought them everywhere because they were afraid of there shite incase T. REX was going to come steaming out any minute and swallow them.Those sort of people were there back then the same as they are now.Jigsaw your not afraid of T>REX are you?

Only when Im trying it on in bed with her,LIAM :laugh: Anyone thats at this game should be well capable of handeling their quarry at the end of a dig,but saying that,the tongs must have been handy to have just in case it was needed.

As Mudd Dog said the real terrier men used them if they were going to be handling a lot in a few hours.The f*****g idiots brought them everywhere because they were afraid of there shite incase T. REX was going to come steaming out any minute and swallow them.Those sort of people were there back then the same as they are now.Jigsaw your not afraid of T>REX are you?

nothing to do with cowards at all. in the old days when things were done differently they served there purpose and were a handy piece of equipment. especially if you were planning on handling a large number threw the course of a few hours. without them the whole process would have been delayed and it would have taken a hell of a lot longer. they done what they were designed to do. simple as. scrap heap now days no need for them. i'll agree on that......MUDD.......

i can't see were in my post i wrote anything about real terriermen?????????????????? :icon_eek: i wasn't talking about men bringing them on a dig either. i simply ment for trials when you would have been handling maybe 20-30 in a few hours they were a handy piece of kit. i've never seen them being used for anything else other than that and certainly never had them out digging with me either if thats what ur trying to say. :no: talk about drawing attention to yourself. running around the fields with digging tools and a big set of tongs over the shoulder too :rofl::rofl::rofl: what a piss take that would be alright. dead on :11:

nothing to do with cowards at all. in the old days when things were done differently they served there purpose and were a handy piece of equipment. especially if you were planning on handling a large number threw the course of a few hours. without them the whole process would have been delayed and it would have taken a hell of a lot longer. they done what they were designed to do. simple as. scrap heap now days no need for them. i'll agree on that......MUDD.......

i can't see were in my post i wrote anything about real terriermen?????????????????? :icon_eek: i wasn't talking about men bringing them on a dig either. i simply ment for trials when you would have been handling maybe 20-30 in a few hours they were a handy piece of kit. i've never seen them being used for anything else other than that and certainly never had them out digging with me either if thats what ur trying to say. :no: talk about drawing attention to yourself. running around the fields with digging tools and a big set of tongs over the shoulder too :rofl::rofl::rofl: what a piss take that would be alright. dead on :11:

No Mud dog you said nothing about real terrier men i did.And i do know what you meant.We dug shores down here to.

No Mud dog you said nothing about real terrier men i did.And i do know what you meant.We dug shores down here to.

yes i am aware of that :11: no probs :good: