Rearing a tame fox from a cub is one thing, but removing the fear of humans with an adult fox is a bit irresponsible IMO. :yes: That fox will not turn it's nose up at an easy meal. I reckon that fox who attacked those twin babies probably got treated the same way by people who knew no better..

So sweet and funny until it bites. :thumbs:

:yes: My daft brother got bitten on the hand by one before. He was feeding it crisps, it came right up to him and he tried to stroke it... :doh:

when i lived in north london with my dad, we had foxes in the garden, it was nice to watch their habits but we never encouraged them near the house as it was nice to see them acting naturally,, however one morning dad walked into the living room to see a vixen curled up in his armchair nose tucked under the tail like a dog!! he just left the door open and came back in an hour it was gone,, another time we had meat defrosting for that nights dinner and a older cub came in dragged it past me dad out the door! (who was so surprised he watched our dinner go!) we laughed about it at the time but to be honest it was scary too, a wild animal being confident and cocky enough to enter new territory and feel secure enough to sleep,, sadly accidents were a matter of time and i truely think this is just the start,, my deepest sympathy to the parents and all involved i cannot imagine how difficult it must be

p.s i knew someone in ireland who had a tame one from cub lived to be a good age, used to go to the pub daily on a lead,, i often think rearing a cub would be very interesting to observe the behaviour, footage would be good to see

all the very best Annemarie x

the media really works on you guys doesn't it :doh: The fox attack WAS very very rare, everyone knows that. People have been feeding wild animals for thousands of years, where do you think dogs came from? Telling people to stop feeding foxes because of the incredibly unlikely event it might bite a baby is about as logical as not letting your kids walk to school without a life jacket in case it floods. I think having a pet fox is pretty cool, but i don't know how hard it is to tame a 'wild' fox. The term 'wild' can change a lot, I have an aunt and uncle who have foxes living in their shed. I don't think they feed them but they have NO fear at all, and would probably come in the house if offered food. But they love seeing them, so what harm does it really do anyone?

• Like 1

the media really works on you guys doesn't it :doh: The fox attack WAS very very rare, everyone knows that. People have been feeding wild animals for thousands of years, where do you think dogs came from? Telling people to stop feeding foxes because of the incredibly unlikely event it might bite a baby is about as logical as not letting your kids walk to school without a life jacket in case it floods. I think having a pet fox is pretty cool, but i don't know how hard it is to tame a 'wild' fox. The term 'wild' can change a lot, I have an aunt and uncle who have foxes living in their shed. I don't think they feed them but they have NO fear at all, and would probably come in the house if offered food. But they love seeing them, so what harm does it really do anyone?

:blink:

Foxes aren't dogs FFS..

Wolves became domesticated because they live in packs and could adapt to the human social structure over a long period of time. Foxes are solitary animals, there is a world of difference. It's taken years of careful selective captive breeding for the foxes in the Russian silver fox program to become anything like tame. :yes:

Fox attacks on human babies maybe rare, but there are countless cases of foxes biting people that go unreported every year...

Foxes become desensitised to humans when they get fed, that's not to say they are tame. If you ever go to a wildlife park, they will tell you that the lions and other animals are in fact more dangerous than their wild counterparts, specifically because they have lost their fear of humans...

A wild animal is still a wild animal, it doesn't become tame just because it's not scared of humans..

just interesting to hear how people shoot them and hunt them but also treat them like pets?

Is this really fair on the animals though, if they do start biteing people because of this they dont know any different do they.

and i think that foxes in the countryside and foxes in towns are a world appart.

Does anyone know if urban foxes, say in london live in sets like they do in the countryside or just in cover, i've always wondered?

:hmm: You're a bit of a spaz really aren't you, all that I said was that if people keep feeding these wild animals then there's going to be more chance for incidents where people get bitten by them to happen.

If you had half a clue then you'd understand that.

a mate of mine had one he dug it when he was ferreting one day it was a cub he brought it up in the house,it was house trained and his dog who hates foxes bonded with it.it went on walks with the lurchers and jumped and everything it was around children and sat and ate yogurt off a spoon.i will try and get a pic its mental