First Lurcher - Deerhound x Greyhound?

Most of the advice that gets posted on here about entering dogs seems to be from town dwellers who just go out in to the country and run their dog from a slip and never seem to exercise their dogs anywhere they will regularly come across game. I am in a more fortunate position because I only have to walk a few hundred yards to be in open fields and wooded hillsides full of game. Pups grow and mature at different rates. I have never really deliberately entered a dog to game mine just self-enter when thay are ready. I take my pups out and about with me and exercise them loose several times a day. I feed them the best I can and give them loads of exercise resulting in big strong healthy dogs. My pups chase rabbits and other game they come across or which the terriers flush and sooner or later they start to catch. Repeated misses don't matter a bit, this is absolutely normal for pups it doesn't make them any less keen rather they learn from it, they learn to use their nose to stalk and to hunt the fields. Pups run around and tear about all the time and within reason it really doesn't matter if they are running about after game as long as it's not something like a muntjac buck which could kill or seriously injure them. I don't really want a pup to be over-taxed by long runs after hares but putting a bend or two into a hare never harmed any pup of mine. You just need to be sensible really. Deerhound crosses are normally very keen to start and are perfectly capable of doing some work long before they are finally mature. All dogs are different and there is no magic age at which to start or not start, just use your brain and don't exhaust the pup, be content with a run or two until it's obviously ready to do me. My experience with deerhound crosses is that most of mine have take roe and fox or muntjac before hares and rabbits and running larger game actually puts less stress on young joints and bones than severe twisting and turning after small game. Before this cruel ban came into force, all of mine caught large game before they were 12 months old and my current bitch who is is 30" at the shoulder caught a cock pheasant first, then an August fox cub which was pushed out of a hedge by the terrier and a couple of weeks later the terrier pushed a roe out of some cover and my bitch coursed it across a big stubble field and caught it at the hedge almost at my feet.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great Dogs to own and work.      

I wouldn't worry too much about size either. I have had lurchers and longdogs for about 35 years I started with small dogs and later went over to big dogs. In the past I certainly regularly found myse

dont start working him at 6 months matey let him be a pup.wait till hes fully grown and his training is sorted(recall etc). just remember theres no rush plenty of working years ahead of him

Posted Images

Most of the advice that gets posted on here about entering dogs seems to be from town dwellers who just go out in to the country and run their dog from a slip and never seem to exercise their dogs anywhere they will regularly come across game. I am in a more fortunate position because I only have to walk a few hundred yards to be in open fields and wooded hillsides full of game. Pups grow and mature at different rates. I have never really deliberately entered a dog to game mine just self-enter when thay are ready. I take my pups out and about with me and exercise them loose several times a day. I feed them the best I can and give them loads of exercise resulting in big strong healthy dogs. My pups chase rabbits and other game they come across or which the terriers flush and sooner or later they start to catch. Repeated misses don't matter a bit, this is absolutely normal for pups it doesn't make them any less keen rather they learn from it, they learn to use their nose to stalk and to hunt the fields. Pups run around and tear about all the time and within reason it really doesn't matter if they are running about after game as long as it's not something like a muntjac buck which could kill or seriously injure them. I don't really want a pup to be over-taxed by long runs after hares but putting a bend or two into a hare never harmed any pup of mine. You just need to be sensible really. Deerhound crosses are normally very keen to start and are perfectly capable of doing some work long before they are finally mature. All dogs are different and there is no magic age at which to start or not start, just use your brain and don't exhaust the pup, be content with a run or two until it's obviously ready to do me. My experience with deerhound crosses is that most of mine have take roe and fox or muntjac before hares and rabbits and running larger game actually puts less stress on young joints and bones than severe twisting and turning after small game. Before this cruel ban came into force, all of mine caught large game before they were 12 months old and my current bitch who is is 30" at the shoulder caught a cock pheasant first, then an August fox cub which was pushed out of a hedge by the terrier and a couple of weeks later the terrier pushed a roe out of some cover and my bitch coursed it across a big stubble field and caught it at the hedge almost at my feet.

:thumbs: Outstanding post! I agree, there isnt any need of even using the word entered when talkin bout dogs. Just let them grow up being a dog as much as you possibly can and they will start catchin and killin shit on their own. If they cant handle that, they werent worth owning in the first place.

Very good and sensible post:yes: . I myself have recently aquired a deerhound blooded pup from a member on this site fursty ferret, dh/gh x cg/gh, and at 16 wks she is already just over 21 tts so I think she's going to be a fair size, also apart from her coat she's very deerhoundy. I too live with countryside on my doorstep and the pup is with me everywhere I go and will be given every sensible opportunity as she grows and matures. Thanks again for the pup ff:thumbs:

It's common sense really. Pups should be left alone to be pups. They will distinguish what is what in their own time.

Its natural instinct, if you like,all we do is tame them down so they show respect, and what's right from wrong.

You don't need to read or write a 1000 books and become the next Brian Plummer to work it out.

Rock on Danman

:toast:

• Like 1

It's common sense really. Pups should be left alone to be pups. They will distinguish what is what in their own time.

Its natural instinct, if you like,all we do is tame then down so they show respect, and what's right from wrong.

You don't need to read or write a 1000 books and become the next Brian Plummer to work it out.

Rock on Danman

:thumbs:

Hi this is my first lurcher/long dog, was told he is 2nd x, deerhound x greyhound not sure the percentages?? would anyone have a guess? bearing in mind hes 3 months old.

Nice brindle colour with huge paws which im guessing is the deerhound in him. being a 2nd x as i was told... does this mean he is lurcher x lurcher as i only saw the mother she was tall and grey with a broken coat not a pure deerhound i dont think??? i think i would have been told if she was... had a little read up about colourations of greyhound x deerhounds and aparently most 1st crosses are brindle and a few black?? is this right?

if you was told its a 2nd x he will be 1/4 deerhound 3/4 greyhound.

the dam would have been a 1st x and the sire a greyhound.

hope this helps and good luck with your pup :thumbs:

a 2nd x is not the above. a 2nd x is a 1st x mated to another 1st x.

Its natural instinct, if you like,all we do is tame them down so they show respect, and what's right from wrong.

Rock on Danman

So true!

:laugh:

all of mine caught large game before they were 12 months old and my current bitch who is is 30" at the shoulder caught a cock pheasant first, then an August fox cub which was pushed out of a hedge by the terrier and a couple of weeks later the terrier pushed a roe out of some cover and my bitch coursed it across a big stubble field and caught it at the hedge almost at my feet.

great post,,

my first lurcher after owning mainly bull dogs from here and over the pond is a deerhound x greyhound, 1st cross put back to a greyhound bitch he is arund 28",

he "eric" has had the lucky position of also beign run off the lead through common land and wood land from a young age, he has retreived plenty, although not at the best of times!!! i also run him with my spaniel x pat, great combination.

that said it makes him a bit of a pain in the arse when out lamping, he can pull like a train when he wants too.

but he can struggle on smallish fields.

the main thing i noticed is how sensitive he is, he out in the kennels during the day but in at night, if you so much as shout at him he fecks off to bed!

46.jpg

in my experiance he has lots of drive and is a grest fist step into owing a lurcher, i would recomend a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound

all the best rob,

In the process of selling our house to move somewhere more rural with a much bigger garden, which means I should be able to get my first Lurcher pup! :D

I'm after a pot filler, something that will snap up Rabbits and retrieve Hare and Deer. I also beat alot In the season so would be taking the Lurcher along to retrieve shot game..

Have been told that a Deerhound Grey Is a much underated Dog and a mate has pointed me In the directions of some very good lines of this cross!

What are your experiences with this cross? I'm on about straight Deerhound Grey crosses not Saluki or Collie etc In there aswell.

Pictures would be nice aswell.

Cheers, Butch :thumbs:

real good choice mate there good at there job here a picture of a fist x deerhound x greyhound bitch that was in our pack sadly no longer with use

• 2 months later...