First Lurcher - Deerhound x Greyhound?

In the process of selling our house to move somewhere more rural with a much bigger garden, which means I should be able to get my first Lurcher pup! :D

I'm after a pot filler, something that will snap up Rabbits and retrieve Hare and Deer. I also beat alot In the season so would be taking the Lurcher along to retrieve shot game..

Have been told that a Deerhound Grey Is a much underated Dog and a mate has pointed me In the directions of some very good lines of this cross!

What are your experiences with this cross? I'm on about straight Deerhound Grey crosses not Saluki or Collie etc In there aswell.

Pictures would be nice aswell.

Cheers, Butch :thumbs:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great Dogs to own and work.      

I wouldn't worry too much about size either. I have had lurchers and longdogs for about 35 years I started with small dogs and later went over to big dogs. In the past I certainly regularly found myse

dont start working him at 6 months matey let him be a pup.wait till hes fully grown and his training is sorted(recall etc). just remember theres no rush plenty of working years ahead of him

Posted Images

deerhound crosses are probly one of the best dogs goin mate ive seen a good couple of dogs run all differrent breeds and the ones that have impressed me the most are the ones that have deerhound in them and they always try to give you a 110% everytime they run atb Top Lamper

lb you will look a fool with a deer/grey it will be bigger and heavier than you i dont think you'd be able to hold it on a slip :tongue2:

oj lol i like the deer/grey but i think youd be better with some collie in the mix say a deer/grey x collie/grey

When I'm eventually ready for a Pup, Ideally I want something not to tall and about 26/27tts are there many this size as most of them I see on Thl are 30tts or more!

Butch

Like the others say not all tall my dog is about 29tts and very long back ideal just what I wanted even if mates say to big when running big fields with long hills that long stride starts to show but can also pick up odd rabbit, like I say just what I wanted